Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-06-2010, 06:52 PM

548 posts, read 1,249,536 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by ray1945 View Post
It's poverty, not race or ethnicity. I live part of the year in a small, all white N. Georgia town. The poverty rate is high and so is the number of babies born to women with very little means of caring for them.
I understand that it's poverty, but making people complacent and dependent on welfare is what causes the cycle of poverty.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-06-2010, 06:55 PM

548 posts, read 1,249,536 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by blackandproud View Post
Oh No'sss you won't see any middle class white girls with babies on their hips without a diploma. Nope, won't see that at all in America.
Before I'm attacked for being racist, I'm a black woman and firmly believe that these welfare programs create laziness. Have you seen the film "Precious"? Many poor people realize that once they have children, they'll receive public aid.

Old 04-06-2010, 06:57 PM

8,425 posts, read 12,137,158 times
Before you start making this a racial issue:

Q: What do Todd Palin, Jesse Jackson, Pat Robertson and Ronald Reagan all have in common?

A: They all had their first child less than eight months into their marriages.

Old 04-06-2010, 06:59 PM

769 posts, read 885,440 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by blackandproud View Post
Oh No'sss you won't see any middle class white girls with babies on their hips without a diploma. Nope, won't see that at all in America.

Well you won't see if for more than one generation, because that middle class white girls baby is either going to straighten up or move to lower class.

Old 04-06-2010, 07:00 PM

8,998 posts, read 14,750,246 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ray1945 View Post
It's poverty, not race or ethnicity. I live part of the year in a small, all white N. Georgia town. The poverty rate is high and so is the number of babies born to women with very little means of caring for them.

Thank you!

Many of the abortions that occur in this country are had by low-income women.
The teen pregnancy rate is higher in poorer areas than more affluent areas. Maybe because the parents provide birth control to their daughters or they can afford the abortions.
A cousin of mine attended this VERY expensive private school and knew plenty of affluent white girls whose mommies and daddies would pay to get their little "problem" taken care of.

Instead of railing on poor people, why not support a living wage? Why not support the subsidization of birth control pills, condoms, IUDs, etc? Why not support REAL sex ed in schools, not this abstinence-only crap?

I am not saying there aren't people out there who don't abuse public assistance but why get on these people when corporations and the wealthy are ripping us off in far greater numbers and costing our country so much more in $$?

Old 04-06-2010, 07:01 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by NYchi View Post
I understand that it's poverty, but making people complacent and dependent on welfare is what causes the cycle of poverty.

I agree. I have seen a lot of this where I grew up. Rural 'white trash' America. I think it is something all poor people share, regardless of race; bad decisions and.....more bad decisions.

Old 04-06-2010, 07:02 PM

6,902 posts, read 7,518,443 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by NYchi View Post
Before I'm attacked for being racist, I'm a black woman and firmly believe that these welfare programs create laziness. Have you seen the film "Precious"? Many poor people realize that once they have children, they'll receive public aid.

Many POOR people? News flash, Blackand Hispanic do not corner the market on being poor or on welfare. Visit Arkansas, Mississippi, Kentucky or any other area's of the south and you will see a rainbow coalition of women and men on welfare. So no your not a racist, just following along with the typical rhetoric.

Old 04-06-2010, 07:05 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by PurpleLove08 View Post
Instead of railing on poor people, why not support a living wage? Why not support the subsidization of birth control pills, condoms, IUDs, etc? Why not support REAL sex ed in schools, not this abstinence-only crap?

I am behind you on the sex ed part. But lets get serious here, poor people can afford condoms, they aren't that expensive. Poor people generally have plenty enough other 'creature comforts' that should have been purchased after condoms.

Also, I know about 30 legal ways to obatin free condoms. It's irresponsibility, not lack of a 'living wage'.

Old 04-06-2010, 07:07 PM

8,998 posts, read 14,750,246 times
OP, you might want to read the book Powell's Books - The Spirit Level: Why Greater Equality Makes Societies Stronger by Kate Pickett

It talks about teenage pregnancy and how it's more prevalent in countries/societies with more inequality.

Old 04-06-2010, 07:07 PM

10,018 posts, read 9,452,869 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Manigault View Post
Before you start making this a racial issue:

Q: What do Todd Palin, Jesse Jackson, Pat Robertson and Ronald Reagan all have in common?

A: They all had their first child less than eight months into their marriages.
What does this have anything to do with the topic? The issue is having children when not being able to afford them, specifically those on public assistance.

the reality it is an economic issue and not one of race. Those on welfare in the urban city I suspect would tend to be a majority black or hispanc, while rural area would be white non-hispanic.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies