Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-07-2010, 04:32 PM

59,088 posts, read 27,318,346 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by sickofnyc View Post
Obviously the Iraqi Christains were.
'Christians of Iraq trace their ancestry to the ancient Assyrians and Babylonians.They are known by various names such as Assyrians"

"
Turkey's world war one massacres resulted in the death of 750,000. During Saddam's wars with the Kurds hundreds of Assyrian villages were destroyed their inhabitants were rendered homeless, driven out of their historic homeland, and scattered as refugees in large cities or the neighboring countries. dozens of ancient churches some dating to the early centuries of Christianity were bombed and turned into rubble. The teaching of the Syriac language was prohibited and Assyrians were forced to give their children Arabic names in an effort to undermine their true identity. Those who wished to hold governmental jobs had to sign ethnicity correction papers which declared them arabs."

Yep, the Christians of Iraq have only just begun to be terrorized.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-07-2010, 04:56 PM

46,963 posts, read 25,998,208 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by rogerbacon View Post
I'd follow the examples of the ones best at it: the Muslims.
Islam is so beneath you, you are going to copy their methods. Got it.

Quote:
If such a law was enforced in America can you imagine how many people would convert to whatever religion was the non-taxed one?
If such a law was enforced in America, there'd be armed rebellion - and with good reason. If such a law was introduced by an occupying army - even more so.

Now, it may have escaped your attention, but there already was a sizable insurgency in Iraq. A lot of it fueled by Islam. If you were to actively persecute the prevailing religion in the region, you'd be adding a lot of fuel to that fire.

Apart from that, it's hypocritical as all out. "Hi, we're your liberators - we're here to extend the hand of friendship and lead you into democracy. Incidentally, you can't have freedom of religon - not yours."

It's a stupid idea and you should feel bad for posting it.

Old 04-07-2010, 05:02 PM

48,502 posts, read 96,867,563 times
No surprise here and its been going on since the second world war in many countires.

Old 04-07-2010, 05:19 PM

3,644 posts, read 6,306,186 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dane_in_LA View Post
Islam is so beneath you, you are going to copy their methods. Got it.
Well, the nicer alternative would be a long (decades long) campaign of bringing the 7th century belief system in line with Western ideals of human rights. That's been tried before in the Muslim world but it has never been able to gain traction for many reasons unique to Islam. I admit the method I mentioned is rather draconian but I really feel like we are fighting for the very survival of Western Civilization and no one on our side is fighting back. It is frustrating sometimes, to say the least.

Old 04-07-2010, 05:24 PM

Quote:
I really feel like we are fighting for the very survival of Western Civilization and no one on our side is fighting back.
Once you go down the path of forced religious conversion you've abandoned Western Civilization.

Old 04-07-2010, 05:46 PM

3,644 posts, read 6,306,186 times
Quote:
Once you go down the path of forced religious conversion you've abandoned Western Civilization.
There's a certain truth in that but what about making certain ideologies outlawed? Germany forbids the Nazi party or even the display of any Nazi symbols. Could the same thing not be done with Islam? If you are about to say it is different because Islam is a religion I would point out to you that Islam IS NOT a religion… at least it is not JUST a religion. It is a religious system, an economic system, a political system, and a social system. It is unlike any other ideology in the world in its breadth. I would have no problem with leaving the religions part alone but the political and social parts that espouse the supremacy of the Muslim over non-Muslims has got to go. In that sense it is no different than Nazism, except Nazism never had such a high body count. Unfortunately such reform seems to be impossible in Islam since the whole thing it all tied together. Some of the things I am saying may surprise some people here and that goes to show the extent of the problem; even on an informed forum like this, nine years after 9/11 many people still don’t know the ideology of the enemy we are fighting. Like I said before, frustrating

Old 04-07-2010, 05:54 PM

1,031 posts, read 1,314,510 times
Quote:

The US has already engaged in forced conversions, doesn't anyone know about African-American history? Most AAs today are Christians. It wasn't that way when our ancestors were brought here. Back then, the majority of them practiced various tribalists religions and a large percentage were Muslims.

Old 04-07-2010, 06:04 PM

5,094 posts, read 5,441,102 times
Oh so all of a sudden you care about Christians??? Interesting. Bush may have started it but Obama can stop it at any time.

Old 04-07-2010, 06:26 PM

Quote:
There's a certain truth in that but what about making certain ideologies outlawed? Germany forbids the Nazi party or even the display of any Nazi symbols.
A roundly criticized practice that probably would have been abandoned ages ago, had it not been a political grenade that nobody wants to jump on. The German attitude to the crimes of their parents/grandparents is complex, to say the least.

Quote:
Could the same thing not be done with Islam?
There's a bit of an insidious comparison happening, but I'll play along.

Quote:
If you are about to say it is different because Islam is a religion I would point out to you that Islam IS NOT a religion… at least it is not JUST a religion.
Hundreds of millions of people practice it as "just a religion". I've had the pleasure of working along a few. Great guys, didn't blow me up even once.

Quote:
It is unlike any other ideology in the world in its breadth.
<shrug> The victims of Nazism, Stalinism, Khmer Rouge etc. etc. would beg to differ. Ultimately, it doesn't matter. Western Civilization can't abandon its principles just to win - we either hold to the thought that people need to choose the right path for them, or we close down shop.

Not that all those high-falutin' thoughts have anything to with the situation in Iraq, which is simple: If you outlaw or push to outlaw Islam in Iraq, you'll be looking at an insurrection that will dwarf anything you've seen so far. There's no way in hell it can work.

Old 04-07-2010, 06:29 PM

8,624 posts, read 9,090,222 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by sickofnyc View Post
Christian minorities in Iraq have been targeted by extremists

Iraqi Christians fleeing religious violence in Mosul receive UN support - Worldnews.com

Is Bush still the president?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies