Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-07-2010, 10:13 AM

12,980 posts, read 14,519,780 times

Advertisements

His mother took him out of Cuba without his father's knowledge. So you are saying once she died Elian should have been kept from his own father? Because....we don't like Cuba? I guess if you are a Cuban father, you rights should not be respected by the family values crowd?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-07-2010, 10:16 AM

11,754 posts, read 14,588,559 times
Just about every year the newspapers are filled with some story of a noncustodial parent snatching a kid away from the parent with legal custody and fleeing to another country. When the kid is kidnapped out of the United States and to a foreign country there's always an uproar demanding to bring the kid back. If I recall correctly, there was just such a case involving a kid taken to Brazil late in 2009, and one of the American TV networks paid for the father to fly down to get him. Heartwarming story about the reunification of a parent and child who were wrongfully separated, then it goes away.

That's just what this case was. You conservatives would be well advised to drop the idea that you're entitled to determine how every child, everywhere in the world, should be raised.

Old 04-07-2010, 10:34 AM

24,645 posts, read 38,552,829 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jackmccullough View Post
Just about every year the newspapers are filled with some story of a noncustodial parent snatching a kid away from the parent with legal custody and fleeing to another country. When the kid is kidnapped out of the United States and to a foreign country there's always an uproar demanding to bring the kid back. If I recall correctly, there was just such a case involving a kid taken to Brazil late in 2009, and one of the American TV networks paid for the father to fly down to get him. Heartwarming story about the reunification of a parent and child who were wrongfully separated, then it goes away.

That's just what this case was. You conservatives would be well advised to drop the idea that you're entitled to determine how every child, everywhere in the world, should be raised.

That's right. Whether the right-wing exiles and other conservatives believe it or not, this was nothing more than a father wanting his son back.

Old 04-07-2010, 10:41 AM

1,038 posts, read 1,222,279 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lucario View Post
That's right. Whether the right-wing exiles and other conservatives believe it or not, this was nothing more than a father wanting his son back.
Yet they call themselves the party of "family values"

Old 04-07-2010, 11:38 AM

13,628 posts, read 20,692,745 times
Quote:

I am a right-wing psychopath, or at least that is what I am told here, and I completely agree with you.

Its not like the kid was going back to a firing squad. I think Clinton and Reno did the right thing. We are not in the business of enabling the disruption of families, even those that reside under less than savory governments, which Cuba most certainly has.

There, I said it.

Old 04-07-2010, 11:46 AM

470 posts, read 460,665 times
Liberals are crazy. You all know damn well that every single liberal in this country wanted that kid to stay. If you didn't then you are not what you say you are and have no compassion at all for someone who wants to flee an oppressed nation and become somebody. You are all saying the opposite now because the right came out in support of the kid staying here, you guys just HAVE to have the opposing view even if it isn't what you really believe. Seriously people, who takes people like that seriously anymore? It's all a hilarious joke, that's all it has become. It must really be embarrasing to act like that.

Old 04-07-2010, 11:55 AM

1,773 posts, read 1,261,217 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by db1025 View Post
Liberals are crazy. You all know damn well that every single liberal in this country wanted that kid to stay. If you didn't then you are not what you say you are and have no compassion at all for someone who wants to flee an oppressed nation and become somebody. You are all saying the opposite now because the right came out in support of the kid staying here, you guys just HAVE to have the opposing view even if it isn't what you really believe. Seriously people, who takes people like that seriously anymore? It's all a hilarious joke, that's all it has become. It must really be embarrasing to act like that.
Dude, the kid didn't flee Cuba, his mother did & he happened to be w/her, geez. Personally, I thought the kid should've stayed here.....because guess what? I'm a liberal, that's what us liberals support. Course, the conservatives LOATHE immigrants & now they're all talking "we should've given him asylum" & "it's Clinton's fault!" & the kid never should've been sent back?? That my friend is a load of BS & you know it.

Old 04-07-2010, 11:58 AM

1,038 posts, read 1,222,279 times
I have some friends who are pretty conservative, not sure if you can call them right wing, but conservative, consistently voting Republican and in line with most of the GOP platform. Almost all of them wanted Elian reunited with his father. One of my friends was so furious with the cuban exile community calling them "Gusanos" stating that no one has a right to take a child away from his father. I have to agree.

Old 04-07-2010, 11:58 AM

16,966 posts, read 34,597,644 times
Quote:
Nevermind any wings...this was certainly about a father asserting his custodial rights, and the US had no business interfering. True, he would have had the chance of a better life and freedom here in the US, but it was the father's desire to keep his son with him.

Out of curiosity: How do we know that Elian's father wasn't promised a better standard of living (when compared to his fellow Cubans) for insisting his son be returned to Cuba? That he wasn't controlled by Castro and his government in order to create this fracas with the US Government?

Old 04-07-2010, 12:01 PM

18,324 posts, read 18,930,505 times
we had no right to keep a son from his father, we did the right thing to send him back to his homeland and his father.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies