Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-07-2010, 11:00 AM

19,112 posts, read 30,580,565 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by betamanlet View Post
Unless I was raped, I would be responsible for my actions, right?

Wait, not to a feminist.

It's an inconvenience to me, so it has to die! GRRRL POWER!
Quit with the off topic attacks and answer the questions.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-07-2010, 11:01 AM

18,340 posts, read 18,963,331 times
not all women who have abortions feel badly they did later in life. they still find the choice was a good one for their life. to assume they will feel badly is out of line.

Old 04-07-2010, 11:01 AM

8,762 posts, read 11,557,269 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by betamanlet View Post
If you were really serious about equality for women, you would be out demanding that women have to register for the selective service, but since that's a responsibility, you don't want it.
No. I am about freedom unlike you. You wanna join, join. I am against men being forced to sign up as well.

Old 04-07-2010, 11:02 AM

9,855 posts, read 11,899,903 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by JetJockey View Post
It's really not worth it. All he can do is yell insults and say MURDER MURDER over and over again. I keep telling myself to stay out of abortion debates because it's completely pointless...but I keep getting involved again and again.
You too? This is only my second hard core abortion debate and already I'm whipped. Sheeesh. We are really snookered as a country if we have to carry all this dead weight of backward thinking!

H

Old 04-07-2010, 11:04 AM

3,175 posts, read 3,647,635 times
Default The other part of the other part..

If the pro choice crowd is concerned about the money that it would cost them to let the babies be born? Why not start teaching the CHILDREN that are put into this predicament, about the HEARTACHE of casual sex?
The HEARTACHE of being used instead of constantly telling them about the JOY of sex?
Everything is sex, sex, sex and the poor kids think it is something they SHOULD be doing! Doesn't matter if the guy could care less about you!
If they aren't aware of THAT heartache, it really is not fair to educate them in the schools that will only tell them half of the story.
First tell them the WHOLE story and go from there. Start by telling them how degraded they will feel when some 18 yr old jumps on them and walks away.
Maybe if they understand that, they will not even need birth control.

Old 04-07-2010, 11:11 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by mag32gie View Post
If the pro choice crowd is concerned about the money that it would cost them to let the babies be born? Why not start teaching the CHILDREN that are put into this predicament, about the HEARTACHE of casual sex?
The HEARTACHE of being used instead of constantly telling them about the JOY of sex?
Everything is sex, sex, sex and the poor kids think it is something they SHOULD be doing! Doesn't matter if the guy could care less about you!
If they aren't aware of THAT heartache, it really is not fair to educate them in the schools that will only tell them half of the story.
First tell them the WHOLE story and go from there. Start by telling them how degraded they will feel when some 18 yr old jumps on them and walks away.
There are more right wing conservative pro-lifers using "sex sells" advertising of their products than pro-choicers doing the same thing. The ambivalence towards sex and the unhealthy preoccupation with the consequences of sex and the resultant paralysis by analysis is owned by the right. SEX isn't the problem. The advertising or not of SEX won't change the abortion figures. Some movement in the technology of birth control... what a concept!

Old 04-07-2010, 11:14 AM

12,980 posts, read 14,535,563 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by wjtwet View Post
With what i have experienced alto of the time they will go to grand parents.
I know for the nonprofit adoption agency i work with we will pay for and match up mothers to adoptive parents. We offer Free medical for the birth mother and mandatory parenting classes for the adoptive parents. we also Offer mental help for birth mothers for as long as they wish.
100% of the infants in our care get adopted.
The problem with kids being in adoption are the kids who are put into foster care as pre teen or teens. The truth is few want the kids who enter foster care as pre teen or teen. this is where i wish the right and left would get together and find answers other Hand their mothers should have aborted them.
Pre-teens and teens certainly are neglected in the system. I think some of it has to do with financial resources. The problem is often by the time the child needs a foster or adoptive home, they have so many issues that it's an overwhelming prospect for the average person to take on. And although it's not a good reason not to do it, I have also heard of some sad stories of teen adoptions not working out well for all concerned. Social services/CPS needs more resources to make sure the kids living on the fringe get the emotional/educational help they need. There is a huge deficit there.

Quote:
Right and left will never agree on abortion. Too much emotion on both sides and both sides stand on moral ground. Each of us have to choose which moral ground we wish to stand on. Pro lifers stand on what we believe is the moral ground that the unborn is a life. Pro choices believe just as strongly that their moral ground is a woman has a right to choose.
As people age alot of people will change where that ground is
Probably right.

Old 04-07-2010, 11:23 AM

19,112 posts, read 30,580,565 times
Quote:
I think a lot of it stems from a bit of puritanical history in this country. Sex is taught as being shameful and bad, but at the same time you are bombarded with sexual imaging. Girls are being told they have to be thin and pretty to succeed, and to feel thin and pretty and attractive they have sex with men who promote this image. To have sex is to be wanted, to be wanted is to be attractive.

When I was growing up I was taught that sex was a good thing, but something that had to be earned between two people who truly cared about eachother. To have sex with anyone is a bad thing, but to have sex with someone you actually honestly care about is a good thing.

I think focusing on the self esteem issues of young females would help lower the abortion/teen pregnancy problems. You don't HAVE to have a man to feel loved...you don't have to have sex to be attractive.

Unfortunately, many people want to continue with the 'sex is bad' route which isn't helping at all. I'm a big proponent of girl power (as one poster in this thread has referred to it as ) but that includes everything from dressing properly to fixing your own car. I think the topic of abortion is not as black/white as the prochoice/prolife bandwagons are.

Old 04-07-2010, 11:29 AM

21,026 posts, read 22,113,650 times
Quote:
Well ya got what ya wanted ....attention with a thread that is neither controversial nor political.

The abortion issue has been talked to dust.

There is NOTHING new to say.

It is legal.

Humans are human and will be getting pregnant forever.

Abortion has been around forever.

Maybe if some people didn't glorify motherhood and talk about how a ""woman's life may be just ruined and sad and awful because she had an abortion so just pump out those babies because that's why you're on earth""" crap....maybe some women would think before they get preggers...

but I know better than to try and change human nature...the sex drive is powerful....why don't you talk to whoever or whatever invented humans and ask why this flaw was included.....

Old 04-07-2010, 12:25 PM

Quote:
With what i have experienced alto of the time they will go to grand parents.
I know for the nonprofit adoption agency i work with we will pay for and match up mothers to adoptive parents. We offer Free medical for the birth mother and mandatory parenting classes for the adoptive parents. we also Offer mental help for birth mothers for as long as they wish.
100% of the infants in our care get adopted.
The problem with kids being in adoption are the kids who are put into foster care as pre teen or teens. The truth is few want the kids who enter foster care as pre teen or teen. this is where i wish the right and left would get together and find answers other Hand their mothers should have aborted them.

Right and left will never agree on abortion. Too much emotion on both sides and both sides stand on moral ground. Each of us have to choose which moral ground we wish to stand on. Pro lifers stand on what we believe is the moral ground that the unborn is a life. Pro choices believe just as strongly that their moral ground is a woman has a right to choose.
As people age alot of people will change where that ground is
Adoption is not a practical solution to the tens of millions of unwanted childrend that would result from a zero tolerance abortion policy. Let's table that one. Maybe a state supported or national creche system. Explode the nuclear family thing and have child rearing, all child rearing, be performed communally. My point, however, for this post is to make this statement: It is neccessary that we come together on this issue. Divided we fall. Each side in an endless debate feels endlessly validated and thus the urge to avoid a consensus. Europe is eons older than the U.S. and they have evolved their puritanical origins and modified their inate capitalist selfishness to something that better serves large groups of humans sharing a landmass. The puritanical, capitalist origins of the U.S. are no excuse for continuing the ignorance. The price for the ongoing rifts and ideological sparring between right and left is the final international irrelevance of the U.S.

H
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies