Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-08-2010, 08:50 PM

31,387 posts, read 37,045,063 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by arctichomesteader View Post
They stood up to big government. They had the same courage our founders had.
Bull crap, they didn't mind big government when they fought for the enactment of the Fugative Slave Act, which required free states to capture and return their runaway slaves. Federalism was a mighty fine thing then, state right to allow folks to be free be damned!

Quote:
Seems to me to be something to celebrate, when so many people today are willing to throw out their freedom in exchange for the government buying their food, paying rent, etc.
Now that is hysterically funny. Fighting for the freedom to enslave another human being, is now something of virtue. Now that's a fine example of schadenfreude.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-08-2010, 08:54 PM

2,347 posts, read 2,784,571 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by HappyTexan View Post
The Civil War is over, just like the American Revolution is over.

But the British went home..they left little to no heritage here.
The South weren't exiled out of the US. They have heritage beyond "the war".
The South embellishes a lot of things besides "slavery" but many don't see past that association.

The South lost and lost big time but was able to pick themselves up and recover.

Some of you will never come to grips with that; you will always equate the South to a stereotype that you have become to believe is the truth.
I'm gonna tell you what's wrong with that statement.

If you think the British left without leaving a heritage.

What language do you speak? English. You know why, because they founded the colonies this nation was born out of.

What laws do you subscribe to? Hint, it ain't the Constiution...it's English Common law.

They also founded the institutions that would lead to the Civil War-including slavery. Which of course they themselves would abolish in 1804.

The Civil War may have been fought for many reasons, but slavery was up there. The southern states were pissed an abolitionist president with the full support of the north won. It wasn't fought just over states' rights.

Old 04-08-2010, 09:00 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by lmkcin View Post
The southern states were pissed an abolitionist president with the full support of the north won. It wasn't fought just over states' rights.
Falsely assumed abolitionist president.

Old 04-08-2010, 09:01 PM

3,047 posts, read 2,825,889 times
Quote:

What language do you speak? English. You know why, because they founded the colonies this nation was born out of.

What laws do you subscribe to? Hint, it ain't the Constiution...it's English Common law.

They also founded the institutions that would lead to the Civil War-including slavery. Which of course they themselves would abolish in 1804.

The Civil War may have been fought for many reasons, but slavery was up there. The southern states were pissed an abolitionist president with the full support of the north won. It wasn't fought just over states' rights.

Please provide the evidence slavery was abolished in 1804. This I would like to see..

Old 04-08-2010, 09:03 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by DraggingCanoe View Post
Please provide the evidence slavery was abolished in 1804. This I would like to see..
The British outlawed the transatlantic slave trade in 1807 and slavery throughout the empire in 1833.

http://www.nmm.ac.uk/freedom/viewThe...theme/timeline

http://www.victorianweb.org/history/antislavery.html

Old 04-08-2010, 09:07 PM

190 posts, read 465,804 times
****** is an awfull word

Old 04-08-2010, 09:10 PM

86,052 posts, read 84,472,986 times
Quote:

I meant physically.

Old 04-08-2010, 09:12 PM

512 posts, read 861,793 times
The first time I ever heard the term "War of Northern Aggression" was when we moved from IN to TX. It was even used in my children's textbooks.

Old 04-08-2010, 09:14 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by DraggingCanoe View Post

You'll have to forgive my horrid ingnorance, I meant 1807.

47 Geo. III, Sess. 1 cap. 36

Old 04-08-2010, 09:15 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by HappyTexan View Post
I meant physically.
Well I live in New ENGLAND...that's pretty physical. I mean it exists. Language is physical.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies