Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-08-2010, 09:18 PM

86,052 posts, read 84,481,831 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by cleoT View Post
The first time I ever heard the term "War of Northern Aggression" was when we moved from IN to TX. It was even used in my children's textbooks.
Well, you did move from the north to the south. Living in the north you probably never heard that term.
The Civil War has several names to it.

Naming the American Civil War - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-08-2010, 09:19 PM

3,047 posts, read 2,826,114 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by lmkcin View Post
You'll have to forgive my horrid ingnorance, I meant 1807.

47 Geo. III, Sess. 1 cap. 36

There is a difference outlawing slavery and the slave trade. Same as in the US. My guess is you really mean 1833 slavery was abolished.

Old 04-08-2010, 09:24 PM

2,347 posts, read 2,784,571 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by DraggingCanoe View Post
There is a difference outlawing slavery and the slave trade. Same as in the US. My guess is you really mean 1833 slavery was abolished.
Ok, great. So in one act they abolish the trade and in another act they abolish the institution.

They still did it 40 years before we did here, and they didn't have to fight a war over it.

Whatever you're trying to do with me won't work.

Slavery was abolished in the 1780s here in Massachusetts. Emancipation in Massachusetts

Because it was in direct conflict with the rights guaranteed by our constitution.

Old 04-08-2010, 09:27 PM

512 posts, read 861,870 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by HappyTexan View Post
Well, you did move from the north to the south. Living in the north you probably never heard that term.
The Civil War has several names to it.

Naming the American Civil War - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia
True, but I still lived in the United States, and it was a surprise to me that the war had a different name by half the country. Then again I didn't grow up in the Internet age.

That period of time in my life was the also the only time my husband and I, being from Southern Indiana, were ever called Damn Yankee. We were called it until the day we moved back home.

Old 04-08-2010, 09:27 PM

3,047 posts, read 2,826,114 times
Quote:
You'll have to forgive my horrid ingnorance, I meant 1807.

47 Geo. III, Sess. 1 cap. 36
Do you have any idea how many US flagged ships were seen/reported transporting slaves, after the US banned the slave trade, by the English fleet.

Did the English board any US flagged slave ships after the slave trade was abolished in the US.

There must be a record kept by the British navy.

Old 04-08-2010, 09:46 PM

3,378 posts, read 5,009,620 times
Looks like some of you never read up on how Lincoln's cabinet, VP and secretary of state treated Confederate emmisaries in the month before Fort Sumter.

The Confederacy was cornered into firing the first shot.

Old 04-08-2010, 09:47 PM

2,347 posts, read 2,784,571 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by DraggingCanoe View Post
Do you have any idea how many US flagged ships were seen/reported transporting slaves, after the US banned the slave trade, by the English fleet.

Did the English board any US flagged slave ships after the slave trade was abolished in the US.

There must be a record kept by the British navy.

Yes it was called the west African Squadron.

None of this has to do with anything.
The slave trade to America legally ended in 1808 due to Art I, Sect 9 of the Constitution.

Plenty of individuals took part in illegal slave trade including the Dewolf Family of Bristol, RI--home to my alma mater, (the two are not mutually exclusive).

The institution of slavery was a major factor to the begins of the Civil War. Northerns were merchants and factory workers. Immigrants from Europe and Asia were our work force, or, people like my ancestors were farmers. It served to highlight the differences between the North and the South. Many northerns, heretofor known as Abolitionists thought there was no need to such an institution in a nation which granted such freedoms as life liberty and happiness.

Old 04-08-2010, 09:48 PM

1,915 posts, read 3,486,709 times
Quote:

What language do you speak? English. You know why, because they founded the colonies this nation was born out of.
And then what happened? You have to "press #1" for it.

I don't call England very often/if never...but do you have to press a special button on your phone to hear English in the motherland? Shoot...if their teeth are any example I'd rather be a southerner flying a confederate flag with my own choppers than what they sport.

Honestly...The English didn't "found" France or Holland or Poland or Russia...yet more understand "english" in those countries than your typical "immigrant in the US" does.

And slavery, according to you, is the fault of the British. Next time anyone cries for "reparations" in the US...point them to the country across the pond.

Old 04-08-2010, 09:51 PM

3,331 posts, read 5,956,654 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by cleoT View Post
The first time I ever heard the term "War of Northern Aggression" was when we moved from IN to TX. It was even used in my children's textbooks.
On the "Beverly Hillbillies", Granny always called it "The War Betwixt the Yankees and the Americans." That always made me laugh. It was the funniest damn show, second only to Hogan's Heroes.

Old 04-08-2010, 09:52 PM

1,915 posts, read 3,486,709 times
Quote:
Yes it was called the west African Squadron.

None of this has to do with anything.
The slave trade to America legally ended in 1808 due to Art I, Sect 9 of the Constitution.

Plenty of individuals took part in illegal slave trade including the Dewolf Family of Bristol, RI--home to my alma mater, (the two are not mutually exclusive).

The institution of slavery was a major factor to the begins of the Civil War. Northerns were merchants and factory workers. Immigrants from Europe and Asia were our work force, or, people like my ancestors were farmers. It served to highlight the differences between the North and the South. Many northerns, heretofor known as Abolitionists thought there was no need to such an institution in a nation which granted such freedoms as life liberty and happiness.
Legally ended in the US. That's fine. Is there any slave trade still going on in Africa today?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies