Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-10-2010, 07:55 AM

5,944 posts, read 5,583,949 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by irishvanguard View Post
"Corporate welfare". Snicker. You miss the irony of your own statement.
Sorry I was talking over your head.

The big banks screwed Birmingham, Alabama. And only part of it was illegal. And the illegal part isn't going to cost the banks very much.

There, maybe you can get your mind around that.

Quote:
This only confirms my assertion of Rolling Stone's bias. Thanks for the reinforcement.
Well, maybe you won't be able to get your mind around it.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-10-2010, 08:01 AM

5,944 posts, read 5,583,949 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by HappyTexan View Post
Ask yourself..why did Gramm sponsor that ? Who was behind Gramm ?

"They" were the ones that got it passed.."they" wanted it all along and had been pushing it for years. It wasn't until "they" got Gramm to do their dirty work.

BTW..Gramm went to UBS right after he left government.
He got bought out by the banks and did their dirty work. In return he got a cushy job with them.

Gramm is also responsible for making sure derivatives weren't regulated.
That would be a double whopper for him..wouldn't it ?

I wonder if Gramm's still a hot commodity in the financial world after the idiocy he spewed in July of 2008.

According to that moron, millionaires complaining about paying taxes is justified, but workers complaining about being jobless is "whining."

a complete a**hole

Old 04-10-2010, 08:57 AM

8,396 posts, read 9,442,882 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by floridasandy View Post
whose in charge now? where is the fixing of the problem?
Stay tuned, please. The righties gave Bush 7+ years in Afghanistan w/o a peep. Give Obama a couple of years to get the investment bankers back under control.

Quote:
the situation is getting worse, not better.
Please be more specific. How is it getting worse? I'm under the impression that regulations will be reimposed.

Quote:
the foxes are still in the henhouse. i think it is amazing that mainstream media is not even covering this and that an in-depth analysis of the problem has to be done by rolling stone magazine. kudos to matt taibbi for all of his excellent journalism.
We're in agreement on this point. What's troubling is how the GOP bristles and snarls at any mention or stiffening regulations on the financial criminals who wrecked the economy. These clowns are obviously in the pockets of the Wall St crooks.

Old 04-10-2010, 11:19 AM

86,052 posts, read 84,481,831 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by skoro View Post
Stay tuned, please. The righties gave Bush 7+ years in Afghanistan w/o a peep. Give Obama a couple of years to get the investment bankers back under control.

Please be more specific. How is it getting worse? I'm under the impression that regulations will be reimposed.

We're in agreement on this point. What's troubling is how the GOP bristles and snarls at any mention or stiffening regulations on the financial criminals who wrecked the economy. These clowns are obviously in the pockets of the Wall St crooks.
2 years and Glass-Steagall is still modified. The banks are bigger now than they were before the crash. They are back to their speculation in derivatives.

The proposal is to give the Fed more power..no mention of reinstating Glass-Steagall.

2 years and nothing has changed..not under the end of Bush and not under Obama.

Old 04-10-2010, 11:26 AM

Quote:
2 years and Glass-Steagall is still modified. The banks are bigger now than they were before the crash. They are back to their speculation in derivatives.

The proposal is to give the Fed more power..no mention of reinstating Glass-Steagall.

2 years and nothing has changed..not under the end of Bush and not under Obama.

First, 15 months is not two years...

Obama just completed his biggest fight - healthcare. Quite an all-consuming fight for a protracted period of time. I'm sure that financial regulations are on the agenda, but they still aren't the top priority yet. I expect a focus on employment to take center stage next. Like I say, stay tuned. I feel confident this will be addressed. But I don't have a crystal ball to predict when.

Bush didn't screw up everything all together at the same time. I took him years of collosal mismanagement to get us in this deep. No one, not even the great all-powerful Obama, will be able to get it all sorted out in one big step, either.

Old 04-10-2010, 11:28 AM

Quote:
First, 15 months is not two years...

Obama just completed his biggest fight - healthcare. Quite an all-consuming fight for a protracted period of time. I'm sure that financial regulations are on the agenda, but they still aren't the top priority yet. I expect a focus on employment to take center stage next. Like I say, stay tuned. I feel confident this will be addressed. But I don't have a crystal ball to predict when.

Bush didn't screw up everything all together at the same time. I took him years of collosal mismanagement to get us in this deep. No one, not even the great all-powerful Obama, will be able to get it all sorted out in one big step, either.
Neither Obama nor Bush can do it..only Congress can and they haven't budged on it. That's why I said 2 years...Congress writes and passes bills.
Presidents only sign them into law.

Could have easily been done the day after TARP got signed. Even before during the time Paulsen was giving his warnings.

Old 04-10-2010, 11:38 AM

Quote:
Neither Obama nor Bush can do it..only Congress can and they haven't budged on it. That's why I said 2 years...Congress writes and passes bills.
Presidents only sign them into law.

Could have easily been done the day after TARP got signed. Even before during the time Paulsen was giving his warnings.
Easily?

I doubt that in the current climate much of anything is going to move through congress quickly or easily. And the GOP is going to REALLY dig in their heels to block reregulation. Watch and see. I expect it to be a fight.

Old 04-10-2010, 11:48 AM

1,842 posts, read 1,708,271 times
Quote:
And a PERSON in a minority seat on a committee can't make policy.
The cost of buying everyone elected to fill government office at the federal level. Is $1 billion a year. Chump change for JP Morgan. And that is just one company. We need to buy our own politicians. Take the center. And treat everyone fairly including the thieving bas-tard corporations. (they will be in the dog house for a bit but let out eventualy and rehbilitated.) ALso they will be broken up or allowed to go broke from their own greed.

Old 04-10-2010, 11:57 AM

Quote:
Easily?

I doubt that in the current climate much of anything is going to move through congress quickly or easily. And the GOP is going to REALLY dig in their heels to block reregulation. Watch and see. I expect it to be a fight.
They were shaken in their seats with whatever Paulsen/Bernake told them behind closed doors...don't you recall how quick that got passed after that closed door chat ?

Don't be so sure it's just the GOP that is not on board with regulating the banks. The Dems are just as much in the bankster pockets as the minority GOP is.

Old 04-10-2010, 12:20 PM

Quote:
They were shaken in their seats with whatever Paulsen/Bernake told them behind closed doors...don't you recall how quick that got passed after that closed door chat ?

Don't be so sure it's just the GOP that is not on board with regulating the banks. The Dems are just as much in the bankster pockets as the minority GOP is.

I'm sure there are Dems on the Wall St payroll, too. They'll be obvious when the issue comes up. But the GOP will vote in a solid bloc against any reforms.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies