Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-08-2010, 02:31 PM

31,387 posts, read 37,032,019 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by AeroGuyDC View Post
NAFTA was a product of Wiliam Jeffferson Clinton. Call him up and ask him why he didn't believe Republican's when they protested that jobs would be lost to Mexico.
Nice try, but not only do you not get a cigar...

In 1988 [I believe this was the era of Ronald Reagan catto] Canada and the United States signed the Canada-United States Free Trade Agreement after the US Congress approved implementing legislation. The American government then entered into negotiations with the Mexican government for a similar treaty, and Canada asked to join the negotiations in order to preserve its perceived gains under the 1988 deal.[1] The international climate at the time favoured expanding trade blocs, and the Maastricht Treaty which created the European Union was signed in 1992.

Following diplomatic negotiations dating back to 1991 between the three nations, the leaders met in San Antonio, Texas, on December 17, 1992, to sign NAFTA. U.S. President George H.W. Bush, Canadian Prime Minister Brian Mulroney and Mexican President Carlos Salinas, each responsible for spearheading and promoting the agreement, ceremonially signed it. The agreement then needed to be ratified by each nation's legislative or parliamentary branch.
Before the negotiations were finalized, Bill Clinton came into office in the U.S. and Kim Campbell in Canada, and before the agreement became law, Jean Chrétien had taken office in Canada.
North American Free Trade Agreement - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-08-2010, 02:33 PM

3,088 posts, read 5,352,508 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by stevemorse View Post
btw, the reason I dont know these questions is in my past I was too stoned. Now that I am sober I need to learn about the past. So dont call me an idiot for not knowing who started Nafta, I think it was the first bush right?? So these Republicans now to me look like hypocrites crying we need to create jobs when they gave them away if they started nafta? Did they not know what they were doing? Why did they do this??????
Because "free trade" is good (for the uber wealthy) and unions are bad (for the uberwealthy). . . .maybe the Republicans didn't start out with that kind of attitude, but they sure have adopted it.

Old 04-08-2010, 02:34 PM

5,616 posts, read 15,514,252 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by cap1717 View Post
Because "free trade" is good (for the uber wealthy) and unions are bad (for the uberwealthy). . . .maybe the Republicans didn't start out with that kind of attitude, but they sure have adopted it.
can you explain this better , explain it for a 10 year old. Thanks

Old 04-08-2010, 02:38 PM

17,823 posts, read 23,442,152 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ovcatto View Post
In 1988 [I believe this was the era of Ronald Reagan catto] Canada and the United States signed the Canada-United States Free Trade Agreement after the US Congress approved implementing legislation. The American government then entered into negotiations with the Mexican government for a similar treaty, and Canada asked to join the negotiations in order to preserve its perceived gains under the 1988 deal.[1] The international climate at the time favoured expanding trade blocs, and the Maastricht Treaty which created the European Union was signed in 1992.

Following diplomatic negotiations dating back to 1991 between the three nations, the leaders met in San Antonio, Texas, on December 17, 1992, to sign NAFTA. U.S. President George H.W. Bush, Canadian Prime Minister Brian Mulroney and Mexican President Carlos Salinas, each responsible for spearheading and promoting the agreement, ceremonially signed it. The agreement then needed to be ratified by each nation's legislative or parliamentary branch.
Before the negotiations were finalized, Bill Clinton came into office in the U.S. and Kim Campbell in Canada, and before the agreement became law, Jean Chrétien had taken office in Canada.
NAFTA actually goes back further than 1988. The GOP began putting together the Free-Trade Agreement that Reagan signed in 1988 back in 1984. NAFTA is entirely a GOP creation which Reagan, Bush Sr., AND Clinton supported.

Old 04-08-2010, 02:39 PM

4,783 posts, read 3,740,370 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by cap1717 View Post
That could be partly true. However, aren't Americans buying the cheap things to blame for the "bad" results of free trade? I mean it is silly for people to whine about free trade with foreign nations when they have all of those "evil" products in their own home.

Old 04-08-2010, 02:50 PM

78,863 posts, read 46,596,242 times
Look at what Bill Clinton did with the WTO World Trade Organization, formerly GATT.

Trade tariffs would be a thing of the past to equalize the world economies.

Old 04-08-2010, 03:03 PM

78,863 posts, read 46,596,242 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by stevemorse View Post
I did not know that!!!

You know this one really confuses me because my Dad who is smart says please no bashing that Nafta is good. He says that open trade is good and that the unions are the problem. So Im confused on this one. I have a hard time finding the truth and making my own decisions. I am sorry I come here to ask you people for advise. I should do more reasearch first now that I am sober. Its just hard figuring out the right answers that make sense to me.

Would you works 10 hour days for $8 a day?

Would you let your child be force to work and work cheaper than the $8 a day?

Union or not, your not going to be able to compete with that and afford the cost of things you need.

Old 04-08-2010, 03:08 PM

8,396 posts, read 9,439,375 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by AeroGuyDC View Post
NAFTA was a product of Wiliam Jeffferson Clinton. Call him up and ask him why he didn't believe Republican's when they protested that jobs would be lost to Mexico.

You're almost half right. Clinton signed it into law early in his first term. The NAFTA Treaty itself was formulated and negotiated by Daddy Bush.

Old 04-08-2010, 03:20 PM

14,810 posts, read 16,201,636 times
NAFTA is the brainchild of globalists, who can be either left or right, working with Europe to create an open border marketplace similar to the old European Common Market (which has now evolved into the European Union, with its own governing body and its own currency). The move toward easing restrictions on global trade has long been a goal of the wealthiest world power brokers and incremental steps have been moving us toward global free markets for decades. It's complicated and everyone has a different take on what is happening in the world and what has happened that got us to this point.

If you really want to educate yourself I suggest you read, read, read and not rely on the opinions expressed here on CD and the bits and pieces of historical info that gets dropped into the posts. A good place to start might be to just Google "history of NAFTA" and see what comes up. Good luck.

Old 04-08-2010, 03:28 PM

23,838 posts, read 23,113,952 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ovcatto View Post

Then you should take that up with Bill and ask him why he credits it to one of his great successes if it were a truly solid Republican achievement.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies