Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-09-2010, 03:54 PM

29,958 posts, read 18,520,884 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by JerZ View Post
I didn't ask for transcripts, I asked for the peer-reviewed studies you referenced, which presumably weren't written by you, so your continued anonymity is assured.

And please don't call me an idiot. Re-read the TOS if you would.
Your references are posted above.

You must understand, that with regard to this particualar subject, I teach medical students and residents.
You do not have the ability to engage in a meaningful "debate" about this issue with me, as I am Board Certified in this particular area and am quite familiar with the peer reviewed literature- you are not.

Last edited by CaseyB; 04-09-2010 at 06:51 PM.. Reason: don't address other posters that way
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-09-2010, 03:57 PM

15,442 posts, read 21,251,255 times
I only have two old dusty degrees in biology but I'm fairly sure the human nervous system doesn't develop at the instant of birth.

Old 04-09-2010, 03:58 PM

29,958 posts, read 18,520,884 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by LadyJPots View Post
Although you try to sound scientific you still resort to the pro-lifer tactic of demonizing the opponent. And even though you do seem to have the bloated ego of a doctor, we have no way of knowing what you are saying is true unless you provide us a link to a peer reviewed medical journal. That would demonstrate your point a lot easier than over the top appeals to emotion. Thank you.

The reference list is there. Get off your butt and look up the articles. You could probably find them in PubMed. The full articles may not be available, except at your local university medical library. Go to it.

Again, my job is not to educate novices and an area which requires basic knowledge of anatomy and physiology which you do not posess. That is why med school is four years and residency (for this) is four years. I cannot "teach" you with a few lines on the internet.

You had better hope I am arrogant in my own field. Of course I am. I hold great disdain and derision for idiots in my own field, let alone the general public presuming to have detailed "medical knowledge". I afraid that my arrogance is earned through my training and continued expertise and pracitce in my field.

Old 04-09-2010, 04:05 PM

28 posts, read 30,433 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by hawkeye2009 View Post
Whatever you think is fine, as I do not care.

The fact is that

a. I am a physician
b. pain management is my field
c. I have completed a two year fellowship
d. I am board certified in pain
e. I did participate in the information provided to the legislature

I am suprised, actually, that anyone was aware of the situation. It will appear in other venues, as it was very effective and based purely in scientific fact.

I would provide a transcript of the exact testimony to you- tempting as that might be just to prove you are an idiot- I really do not want you to know who I am.
Well since you are on the public record defending the science what difference does it make if we know who you are? Let's see the study. If your science is so sound why would you not PERSONALLY stand behind it? Maybe for the same reason you still do not produce the specific study that you are referring to.

Old 04-09-2010, 04:10 PM

28 posts, read 30,433 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by hawkeye2009 View Post
The reference list is there. Get off your butt and look up the articles. You could probably find them in PubMed. The full articles may not be available, except at your local university medical library. Go to it.

Again, my job is not to educate novices and an area which requires basic knowledge of anatomy and physiology which you do not posess. That is why med school is four years and residency (for this) is four years. I cannot "teach" you with a few lines on the internet.

You had better hope I am arrogant in my own field. Of course I am. I hold great disdain and derision for idiots in my own field, let alone the general public presuming to have detailed "medical knowledge". I afraid that my arrogance is earned through my training and continued expertise and pracitce in my field.
Part of being a doctor is educating the public about pertinent health issues. Do you still refuse to refer us to the specific study? You can even just tell us who conducted the study and what title it might have. Then we can seek it out ourselves.

Playing little games will not get your point across. Please behave like a responsible medical professional if you are one.

Note: there is a difference between confidence and arrogance, the latter being far less desirable in a doctor.

Old 04-09-2010, 04:13 PM

30,907 posts, read 32,875,433 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by LadyJPots View Post
Part of being a doctor is educating the public about pertinent health issues. Do you still refuse to refer us to the specific study? You can even just tell us who conducted the study and what title it might have. Then we can seek it out ourselves.

Playing little games will not get your point across. Please behave like a responsible medical professional if you are one.
Exactly.

Old 04-09-2010, 04:45 PM

4,877 posts, read 4,492,693 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by saganista View Post
Not really a history major, are you. The welfare system and the social safety net were born from the abject and total failure of private charity to be able to cope with the magnitude of our social problems and issues. Go talk with professionals today within the private charity system and ask them whether they feel the government would better withdraw from its relief and assistance efforts or whether they would in fact see a need for more federal programs and resources if our problems are to be adequately addressed. See how many tell you that they get down on their knees and pray each night for expanded government involvement.
Uh yeah, I used to work for the Red Cross and never once felt that way. Nor have I ever heard anyone that works at a charity say that. And I've known plenty of them.

Old 04-09-2010, 04:46 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by JerZ View Post
No, I don't know everything about everything, or I wouldn't have asked. Again, got stats? You made the assertion, it's on you to back it up if you expect anyone to believe it.
You made the assertion I was wrong so you look it up if you expect anyone to believe you.

I'm not here to do research for you.

And you actually think I care if you believe me? LOLs.

Old 04-09-2010, 04:54 PM

19,198 posts, read 31,392,177 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by OhioIstheBest View Post
Uh yeah, I used to work for the Red Cross and never once felt that way. Nor have I ever heard anyone that works at a charity say that. And I've known plenty of them.
Hmmm. The Red Cross is chartered and financially supported by the federal government.

Old 04-09-2010, 04:58 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by saganista View Post
Hmmm. The Red Cross is chartered and financially supported by the federal government.
Most of their budget comes from private donations.

And once I found out about them getting money from the govt I quit. Actually, I didn't work there. I was a volunteer. I was 16 years old.

I used them as an example because they are the most widely known charity.

Last edited by OhioIstheBest; 04-09-2010 at 05:10 PM..
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies