Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-09-2010, 05:06 PM

12,980 posts, read 14,562,129 times

Advertisements

The only article on fetal pain I can find on The International Association for the Study of Pain is this one:

http://www.iasp-pain.org/AM/AMTempla...entDisplay.cfm

Which has identical findings to the one I posted earlier in the thread, just reports the findings using different language:

JAMA -- Fetal Pain: A Systematic Multidisciplinary Review of the Evidence, August 24/31, 2005, Lee et al. 294 (8): 947

Unless someone posts some legitimate data to say otherwise, I'd say 2 huge multidisciplinary studies arriving at the same conclusion is good enough for me.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-09-2010, 05:20 PM

29,981 posts, read 42,930,375 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ovcatto View Post
Ok, so some woman in Nebraska as one less week to make up her mind. Big win for the home team.

Do any of these pro-life yahoos ever think that one of the unintended consequences is that with shorter periods of time for a woman to make up her mind may lead to more abortions and not less?
How do you figure only 1 week to make up her mind? Does she not know by 6-7 weeks at the latest that she is pregnant? Most women do. Most women know by week 5. That leave more than 10 weeks to "make up her mind".

How can those arguing against the "fetal pain" threshhold pretent to be "pro-choice" rather than pro-abortion after 20 weeks? Seriously.

Old 04-09-2010, 05:41 PM

30,902 posts, read 33,003,025 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by lifelongMOgal View Post
How do you figure only 1 week to make up her mind? Does she not know by 6-7 weeks at the latest that she is pregnant? Most women do. Most women know by week 5. That leave more than 10 weeks to "make up her mind".
Well, many women do know relatively early that they're pregnant, but assuming that "most" know by week five (you're talking the period being one week late? Week five LMP?), is by no means solid...I'm sorry. This may be even more true of teenagers, who often have a few years of irregularity before settling into an every-28-days-or-thereabouts routine (or however many days turn out to be normal for them--or more notably, whatever *range*...which makes an exact "week five" knowledge scenario even less likely for the majority).

Some women have symptoms; some don't. Some women spot at "period time" and think that's their period (I spotted at that time with my second, but we had been "trying" so I tested anyway). As for morning sickness and other symptoms, they may not necessarily start until somewhere between weeks seven and nine.

Once the woman discovers that she is in fact pregnant, it's not like she leaves the doctor's office for an abortion clinic which ushers her right in. Or I don't believe it's like that. Most women want to think at least a few days, if not a week or two, about this decision, which is a HUGE one. You seem to be envisioning a world of extraordinarily "regular" (menstrual cycle-wise) women automatically running for an HPT at Day 29 when the period hasn't yet shown up, having the test be correct, managing to get a doctor's appointment for that very day to confirm the pregnancy with a blood test, having the blood tests miraculously come in within hours instead of a couple of days, then saying, "Oh, I guess I need an abortion, then" and running to some clinic or other and just going for it, all in a day's work. I don't think this is the most common scenario, sorry.

That aside, you said "...That leave (sic) more than 10 weeks to 'make up her mind'." Right, which is why the vast, overwhelming majority of abortions DO happen before this time.

The whole idea of this huge number of late-term abortions happening is a complete myth.

Here's a chart I posted previously:

(From the Guttmacher Institute.)

Old 04-09-2010, 05:43 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by hawkeye2009 View Post

PS - I am continually ASTOUNDED at the profound arrogance of liberals, who would suggest that they know more than experts IN THIER OWN FIELD.
Which field is that? You've claimed two thus far. As for your overemotionalism, I don't know how well that is going to go down in a court of law--you may want to work on that a little.

Old 04-09-2010, 05:44 PM

15,446 posts, read 21,352,256 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by JerZ View Post
Look out, HPR. They do NOT tolerate insolence well! (Nor point-blank questions on the accuracy of their statements.)

Note that I left some possibility in my comment that I could be wrong.

Old 04-09-2010, 05:46 PM

10,793 posts, read 13,544,828 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by DraggingCanoe View Post
"The Nebraska legislature is getting ready for its second vote on a measure that would ban abortion after 20 weeks gestation on the basis of fetal pain. If passed and signed into law, the legislation could pose a direct challenge to the 1973 Roe v. Wade case, because it applies a different standard for restricting abortion than the one used by the Supreme Court."

"The “Pain Capable Unborn Child Protection Act” (LB 1103 (http://nebraskalegislature.gov/FloorDocs/Current/PDF/AM/AM2063.pdf - broken link)), authored by Speaker Mike Flood, has already won its first round of approval in the Unicameral, Nebraska’s legislative body, by a vote of 38 - 5. A second reading on the bill is expected to take place soon as there are only six days remaining before the legislature concludes its work for the 2010 legislative year. "

Nebraska Moves Ahead with Abortion Ban Based on Fetal Pain

Justice Roberts has said, they’re ready.

Babies have a fully formed nervous system at that point!! THEY ARE HUMAN!! They did indeed fill pain! They stiffen when stabbed in the back of their skull with forcips during the partial birth procedure. then their brains are sucked out by the tube that's incerted in the hole. Then their soft skull collaspes. Then they are pulled out and tossed in the trash.

Old 04-09-2010, 05:58 PM

30,065 posts, read 18,663,011 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by JerZ View Post
Which field is that? You've claimed two thus far. As for your overemotionalism, I don't know how well that is going to go down in a court of law--you may want to work on that a little.
Let's see...........

I AM Board Certified in two fields. Given my initmate knowledge of this subject ( you should try the peer reviewed literature, rather than idiotic layman "pie charts"), you can probably guess what I do.

Again, do not try to debate the scientific literature here, as you are only embarassing yourself and look more and more ridiculous. I did not think that possible, but it appears to be the case. It is very amusing to see a complete amatuer to the world of medicine, and in this case a particular specialty, try to debate with a Board Certified practioner. It is truely amazing that you would even have the ignorance and audacity to try, as your attempts are truely laughable to any professional in the field. This would be the equivilent of a patient coming into my office trying to "educate" me in my own field, about some piece of worthless non-peer reivewed crap they read about on the internet.

You are truely priceless, but your efforts continue to amuse me and give me a good source of entertainment, now that the live Masters coverage is completed for the day.

Tell me................. do you debate the particulars of wiring with your electrician? I can really envision you doing so, and thier thoughts of you must be very similar to mine.

Old 04-09-2010, 06:00 PM

48,502 posts, read 96,848,488 times
States assuring their constitutional rights and challenging the federal governamnet seems to be in favor again.Its liie the swing of the pedulum and always remmeberr that those in federal electioned possion come form the same arena.

Old 04-09-2010, 06:34 PM

8,185 posts, read 12,637,996 times
Abortion is going nowhere and the pro life movement would be better served finding programs to make abortion as little used as possible.

As to the potential for pain. Well......I think they can feel pain, and I have an anecdotal experience that leads me to believe it to be true. I do think that science hasn't caught up with abortion laws yet. After all, we know much more about fetal developement now then we did back in the early 70s. And is there really anyone here who would advocate aborting fetus' that can feel the pain of their abortion? Anyone? One of the reasons I am against the death penalty is the potential for pain - I find it barbaric that in this century we as a people can be so innured to the suffering of others be they criminal or fetal. If fetus can feel pain then isn't it the humane thing to limit abortions performed at that point? Yes I know that there aren't many (or as many as those performed earlier in the pregnancy) but still......

Old 04-09-2010, 07:54 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by lifelongMOgal View Post

How can those arguing against the "fetal pain" threshhold pretent to be "pro-choice" rather than pro-abortion after 20 weeks? Seriously.
Oops...also, AFAIK, ovcatto was saying one *more* week than previously, not one week total. The ban is on more than 20 weeks post-conception, which is 22 weeks LMP or "22 weeks pregnant."
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies