Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: Would armed forces of the US support Obama in a coup attempt?
yes, the armed forces would rally to the president 24 54.55%
yes, componants of the armed forces would aid the president 5 11.36%
none of the armed forces would support the president 7 15.91%
the balance of the armed forces would join against the president 8 18.18%
Voters: 44. You may not vote on this poll

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-09-2010, 06:41 PM

18,358 posts, read 26,495,840 times

Advertisements

I would not see the majority of the military supporting the current president if such a scenario should happen.

But this sort of possibility is why the founders intended we rely on state militias and minimize standing armies.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-09-2010, 06:47 PM

2,104 posts, read 1,442,874 times
It's always funny to watch people who've never served this country's armed forces talk like they know what the military would do, and then pretend that it's anything but wishful thinking.

This is the dumbest thread ever.

Old 04-09-2010, 06:48 PM

31,387 posts, read 37,048,770 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TreedleDee View Post
I was always told...
Just stop there.

Old 04-09-2010, 06:52 PM

13,608 posts, read 21,394,406 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TreedleDee View Post
But getting all the Generals and Admirals to agree on a position is as easy as getting Congress to pass legislation, so good luck with that.

Which is why I say if the scenerio came, a component would possibly take sides over another. One only need look at the fall of the USSR to see that.

Generals have partisan views also just like everybody else, and to some being part of a coup might be possibly thought of as preserving the country.

I think the founders visioned almost all possible happenings, which why they put the power ultimately in the civilians control, and civilians in control of their personal arms if that didn't work.

Old 04-09-2010, 06:52 PM

18,381 posts, read 19,020,549 times
wishful thinking on the part of obama haters for the military not to support our nation.

Old 04-09-2010, 06:56 PM

13,608 posts, read 21,394,406 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ♠atizar♠ View Post
It's always funny to watch people who've never served this country's armed forces talk like they know what the military would do,

This seems to be a common theme popping up, "you are a civilian so you have no clue" "don't talk about war or Iraq unless you've been there".

Civilians are not all mindless sheep, and there is history to look at also. The civilians have a vested interest in America also, dare I say a certain amount of bravery also. And sometimes it is civilians who maintain liberty as well as any other component of America.

Old 04-09-2010, 07:00 PM

1,125 posts, read 1,591,027 times
You need to add an another option.

Stand back and let them figure it out while trying to maintain the peace where they are currently stationed at.

I can see a lot of military units deciding not to take a side if there was a coup against the president. Back in the days of Regan, Heck yea the military would have backed him. Clinton.... most likely, we didn't like him, but we didn't hate him. Bush Sr. most likely would have helped, Bush Jr. you would get some sit it out but most would have helped. Obama... from what I have seen/heard it is sit on the sidelines time.

Old 04-09-2010, 07:02 PM

7,800 posts, read 10,107,338 times
I believe that while part of the military might fight for the president and part might fight against him, the majority of servicemembers would take no action. The majority of the fighting in any Civil War II would be fought by locally raised and hastily trained militias on political lines. The military, police, etc would either disintegrate or stay in their barracks.

Old 04-09-2010, 07:09 PM

1,251 posts, read 2,577,581 times
The prez takes the same oath so whoever he deems an enemy the military will follow his orders

Old 04-09-2010, 07:18 PM

31,387 posts, read 37,048,770 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by lionking View Post
This seems to be a common theme popping up, "you are a civilian so you have no clue" "don't talk about war or Iraq unless you've been there".
Generally speaking, there are few cases where I would make such an argument but when it comes to the military mind set of subservience to civilian leadership, a few weeks of boot camp reciting the chain of command while a drill instructor screams in your face could be very enlightening. Frankly, I despised Richard Nixon with all my heart, but he was my CINC.

In the U.S. military the chain of command is sacrosanct. That is why soldiers, sailors and marines put their lives on the line even when they think that the orders they are given are ill-conceived, rash or just plain stupid. Of all the things that I admire about the U.S. military, even when there were times when I did admire many other aspects, has been the 200 year tradition of absolute obedience to civilian leadership. This has been one of the more remarkable aspects of our American democracy. Even in 1860, with the onset of the Civil War, those officers and men who joined the confederacy only did so after resigning from the U.S. military. That is a very proud tradition one that would not be ended as frivolously as some might suggest.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies