Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: Would armed forces of the US support Obama in a coup attempt?
yes, the armed forces would rally to the president 24 54.55%
yes, componants of the armed forces would aid the president 5 11.36%
none of the armed forces would support the president 7 15.91%
the balance of the armed forces would join against the president 8 18.18%
Voters: 44. You may not vote on this poll

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-09-2010, 11:30 PM

9,961 posts, read 17,524,172 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by DraggingCanoe View Post
If Obama attempts to shred the Constitution, disband the Congress and the SC. Defy Congress if he is impeached...or refuse to step down if he is not re elected. Would you want the military to support him?
What if Obama was affected by radiation and suddenly grew to become 50-feet-tall and developed both superhuman strength and the power to shoot lazer beams out of his eyeballs and suddenly went on a violent path of destruction ending up in a battle on the Las Vegas Strip? Would you want the military to stop him or would you count on a tag team effort of Mothra and Rodan(and possibly Gamera) to defeat him...
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-09-2010, 11:54 PM

700 posts, read 638,023 times
Considering the constitution provides a means for removal of the president from office through impeachment, I doubt there are many, if any, military personnel willing to circumvent our democratic and constitutional process in favor of a third-world, banana republic concept such as a coup.

Fantasy camp's over, buddy.

Old 04-10-2010, 12:03 AM

4,399 posts, read 10,671,195 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by lionking View Post
On that I must confess something. At the start I was confused as to the meaning of coup, where I thought the discussion meant the higher command rallying or obeying to the side of the president to start martial law or suspend liberties. So I may have been misinformed in my thought process.

Now I do believe the debate is actually about would the military side with generals to over throw the president or those in office?

Help me make sure I have my facts straight on "coup" before I go on thanks.
A military coup is the military overtaking the elected government by force, forgoing elections and things of that nature to install a new government not elected by the people.

Old 04-10-2010, 08:18 AM

30,065 posts, read 18,665,937 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gary Siete View Post
What if Spartacus had a Piper Cub?

It couldn't fly. There was no aviation fuel being processed.

Regarding the OP, I was referring to a coup to overthrow Obama and wold other members of the military sit by, or go the aid of the POTUS.

Old 04-10-2010, 09:14 AM

18,358 posts, read 26,495,840 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by LML View Post
The CONSTITUTION calls for the president to be chosen BY ELECTION. Obama WON the election. If they have sworn to uphold the CONSTITUTION then they MUST uphold the right of the people to have the president they ELECTED. W Bush and his VP tore the constitution to shreds in so many ways that I could write for the next week and still only cover half of the unconstitutional things they did. AND YET there was no insurrection.

Don't worry. Our armed forces WILL uphold the Constitution. They will uphold the right of the country to have the government they ELECTED and not one that is imposed upon us by a bunch of haters who would willingly trash their own country rather than admit that they LOST THE ELECTION.
But if he does something very extreme, for instance, ignores Congress impeaching/removing him, attempts to make himself dictator through martial law, etc., there would be no choice but to turn either the military or federal law enforcement against him.

We're talking a very extreme situation here.

Old 04-10-2010, 09:15 AM

8,396 posts, read 9,442,882 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by hawkeye2009 View Post
Suppose that a military coup occurred in the US. Given the current adminstration, and its relationship with the military in general, do you believe that ANY componant of the armed services would side with the commander in chief and oppose fellow members of the armed forces?

You reek of desperation.

Old 04-10-2010, 09:59 AM

5,944 posts, read 5,583,949 times
Talking Your ultimate nightmare...

Quote:
Suppose that a military coup occurred in the US. Given the current adminstration, and its relationship with the military in general, do you believe that ANY componant of the armed services would side with the commander in chief and oppose fellow members of the armed forces?

Suppose that when you wake up from your fantasy, a black liberal has been elected president!

Old 04-10-2010, 10:07 AM

5,944 posts, read 5,583,949 times
Smile Remember those Hooter-ee guys?

Quote:
Originally Posted by ♠atizar♠ View Post
It's always funny to watch people who've never served this country's armed forces talk like they know what the military would do, and then pretend that it's anything but wishful thinking.

This is the dumbest thread ever.

Hey!

The OP consulted experts before posting this thread.

military experts and potential heroes

Old 04-10-2010, 10:10 AM

46,951 posts, read 25,990,037 times
Quote:
Regarding the OP, I was referring to a coup to overthrow Obama and wold other members of the military sit by, or go the aid of the POTUS.
The original question was a bit vague, so thanks for clarifying.

As President Obama won the election fair and square, any coup-makers would be acting against a duly elected President and his cabinet. That's pretty clear-cut and I have no doubt that the military would come to the President's support in massive numbers.

Old 04-10-2010, 11:43 AM

1,503 posts, read 1,156,294 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by lionking View Post
Come on now, instead of making this a sling fest of one against the other partisan politics wise , takeovers as being discussed are not fantasy, they happen, however in America doubtful compared to other places. But still, nothing is beyond impossible. And that goes for any potential political power in office, to be corrupt.
In the United States a military coup is complete lunacy. Nothing is beyond possible. It's possible that we will be hit my a world ending asteroid tonight, but I don't base adult conversation on that premise.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies