Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-09-2010, 09:53 PM

5,376 posts, read 5,345,971 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cyber Queen View Post
It is actually comical. I had a conversation with a teacher last week. She was painting this doom and gloom image if the Gov does this. She proceeds to tell me and I quote "do you know that if we do not get this money that teachers on maternity leave will not be guaranteed their exact jobs if they are out for 2 or 4 YEARS!!" Yes you read that right YEARS!! What other company gives maternity leave of 2 or 3 years??? And they would still have a job just teaching just not the exact same class or school they left. I was floored that she even thought this was acceptable. Hell 90% of mother in this country are lucky they get 6 weeks never mind 2 or 3 years. Ridiculous. These teachers are like spoiled children. I say smack them into the reality the rest of us deal with at work and it is not 3 years of maternity leave.
They are not getting paid during any time after 8-12 weeks. It's then a leave of absence.

Many employers offer long term unpaid leaves.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-10-2010, 07:03 PM

1,915 posts, read 3,486,709 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by plannine View Post
They are not getting paid during any time after 8-12 weeks. It's then a leave of absence.

Yeah, that's FMLA. I don't know of any company that has a "maternity leave" paid program and once that is up the mom goes on short term for another 6-8 weeks.

Most, if not all, employers don't have employees protected and insulated by tenure.

Apparently and depending on the municipality you work for, some teachers get short term disability and others do not (this is what I have been recently told).

Yet ALL teachers get a few long weekends and a few weeks during the school year off along with summer vacation.

Your average Joe, who works an average salaried job with 8 hour days (that don't really exist) , 2 weeks paid vacation , 8 paid holidays off and "earned" sick days (maybe 4-5 total - depends on the company) works 2080 hours and this does not include staying late, bringing work home, traveling, working on weekends, etc. A teacher who works an average 8 hour day, works 1440 hours in a year.

Not shedding a tear.

Last edited by JerseyG; 04-10-2010 at 07:23 PM..

Old 04-10-2010, 07:14 PM

1,089 posts, read 655,209 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by sailordave View Post
Union Memo Hints At N.J. Gov.'s Death - wcbstv.com (http://wcbstv.com/local/governor.christie.union.2.1621917.html - broken link)
excerpt from the story:
Christie got a swift apology.

"While it was intended as a joke I recognize that it was in poor taste, bad taste and was definitely an error of poor judgment and I sincerely apologize to the governor," Coppola said.

Old 04-10-2010, 07:20 PM

19,840 posts, read 12,099,283 times
More PROOF that Democrats are violent! Where is Upton to start a thread warning us?

Old 04-10-2010, 08:12 PM

5,094 posts, read 5,439,927 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by plannine View Post

Ummmm NOT YEARS. A year maybe not 2 or 3. I would love to have a job where I can tell them I will be out for 3 years hold my job. Please that is crap.

Old 04-10-2010, 08:29 PM

19,893 posts, read 18,442,508 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by roysoldboy View Post
It is that bias that keeps them from reporting this deal. Unions are all run by far lefties so the papers won't be doing anything about it.
And yes you got that right.

Old 04-10-2010, 08:48 PM

1,599 posts, read 2,948,186 times
"Dear lord,' this year you have taken away my favorite actor, Patrick Swayze, my favorite actress, Farrah Fawcett, my favorite singer, Michael Jackson, and my favorite salesman, Billy Mays. I just wanted to let you know that Chris Christie is my favorite governor."

I'm sure quite a few of you saw this exact same tongue in cheek "prayer" but with the last line "Obama is my favorite president". It was like wildfire on facebook a few months ago.

Tasteless, either way. But violent? Come on.

Old 04-10-2010, 09:47 PM

11,944 posts, read 14,782,788 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by sailordave View Post
Union Memo Hints At N.J. Gov.'s Death - wcbstv.com (http://wcbstv.com/local/governor.christie.union.2.1621917.html - broken link)
Wishing him to be "taken by the lord" isn't very christian of them, now is it? And imagine this!!! A liberally liberal NY 'rag' is reporting this offense of a UNION??? Shiver me timbers!!!

Here's another thing you might not know- Bergen county has enough concentrations of ubber wealth to outright own Mississippi if they ever put their mind to it. Nothing against Mississippi or ubber wealthy, but when they start whining or declaring wars I start feeling itchy to smack the snot out of them.

Old 04-11-2010, 07:55 AM

1 posts, read 846 times
As a teacher in New Jersey, I would like to weigh in on a few of these comments...

- First of all, the "joke" does not represent a death wish from the entire union. Those responsible for it should be held accountable.

- The teacher's union is not the reason that the state is bankrupt. There is a high population density in our state. I can drive five miles and cross over the border to three different towns. Yet, each individual town expects to maintain their own police force and other civil services. There is little to no effort for communities to band together to pool resources. The easiest target is the schools.

- Another drag factor on many local budgets is the soaring salaries of our school administration. My school's superintendent makes over $150,000 a year to manage three schools. Check out your own local school district. I will bet that much of your teaching staff has been in the district for many years. However, administrators (including superintendents) come and go where the money is. I have been teaching in this district for 8 years and have seen four superintendents leave the district.

- As for the liberal indoctrination, I am a veteran. I am proud of my service and of the service of our military. However, I do teach my students to think for themselves.

- Teachers do not get 2 or 3 years maternity leave. We do get ten "sick" days per year that roll over. Thus it is possible to accrue many sick days over an extended teaching career.

- We are not spoiled children. Wrap your brains around this simple fact. I had to go to school for four years to earn my degree and teaching certificate. I have to attend retraining every year.

If you compare my "work schedule", including summer vacation (but not including school work I have to bring home to finish) I work about 80% of the schedule of my private sector counterpart. However, I only get about 60% of his salary. Health benefits are one of the few "perks" going out to teachers in order to help balance things out.

- Housing prices in Northern New Jersey are too expensive, in general. I rent in Northern New Jersey and I pay 1100 dollars a month for a one bedroom apartment. I have been teaching for 8 years, and I have access to the VA homebuyer's loan, but I still cannot afford a one bedroom house.

- Finally, with all of these issues affecting salary and benefits, what kind of teacher are schools going to attract in the future? Are the best and brightest people going to want to work in this kind of situation? Compare teaching to the military for a moment. Hands down, our forces became better, more educated and motivated, once it switched from the draft to an all volunteer force. With the draft came the dregs of society. Do you want the dregs of the teaching profession working with your kids?

Old 04-11-2010, 11:25 AM

29,981 posts, read 42,930,375 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by shorebaby View Post
Could be but I really think that it is because it really isn't news that the left wing is very violent and has been for some time. Even a left wing bomber is a mainstream media hero and a friend of the President.
And it is no new news that unions are nothing less than a violent mafia type organization when it comes to protecting their interest either.

It should be news. This is shameful. Wasn't it just a couple of years ago that there was something similar with a union in FL?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies