Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
2,500,000 members. Thank you!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-10-2010, 03:19 AM

24,441 posts, read 33,075,642 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vladja View Post
Yeah, he was.
How so?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-10-2010, 03:27 AM

2,125 posts, read 1,930,243 times
That article is dumb, ideologies don't ever really die, they just mutate and maybe take on another name. Sometimes they fracture. Libertarian. Neoconservative. Paleoconservative. One of the keys of political longevity is being able to redefine yourself as it suits your needs.

Old 04-10-2010, 04:07 AM

43 posts, read 41,621 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Fleet View Post
How so?
I don't do your hmwk for you.

Old 04-10-2010, 04:09 AM

2,125 posts, read 1,930,243 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Vladja View Post
I don't do your hmwk for you.
A.K.A. "I make baseless claims then refuse to back up my assertions" A.K.A "Ignore everything I say"

Old 04-10-2010, 06:15 AM

16,259 posts, read 24,630,766 times
Hopefully it is dead. It is a hard thing to kill though. Just when you think it is dead, it comes back alive. It needs a stake through its heart.

Old 04-10-2010, 06:20 AM

16,259 posts, read 24,630,766 times
The article does not mention one of the biggest reasons that conservatism will suffer and that is simple demographics. The fact is that the nation is getting browner and the younger generations- such as The Millienials and Gen x are not turned on by conservative ideology. Conservative ideology is mainly found in older white people who are dying off. When they die, so to will conservatism. The county is now about 50/50 but the trend is toward liberalism.

Old 04-10-2010, 06:28 AM

22,230 posts, read 17,752,485 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by dunks_galore View Post
That article is dumb, ideologies don't ever really die, they just mutate and maybe take on another name. Sometimes they fracture. Libertarian. Neoconservative. Paleoconservative. One of the keys of political longevity is being able to redefine yourself as it suits your needs.
The Conservative ideology has mutated. It is now the Conservative Theology. The objective, is to create and maintain the position of those who are "rightfully" due the opportunities and rewards this great Nation has to offer. It's a very exclusive group of people that have been ordained to have a place in that congregation. A lot of the public supporting this endeavor, have virtually no chance of actually being baptized into this fraternity, ie. the Tea Party and the legions of those led by the recruiters like FOX "News". It is a very select few that will be allowed in, the rest, just disposable bodies on the front line.

Old 04-10-2010, 07:40 AM

78,866 posts, read 46,245,241 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bosco55David View Post
I'm sorry, can you put that in English please?

And yes, I'm well aware of how popular Obama is with independents, and no, they are not by and large unhappy about HCR.

Unless you're one of those who believe the teabaggers are "independents".

an estimated 20% of the tea party are registered Democrats, not just independents.

Many, many that voted for Obama, are part of the tea Parties.

Old 04-10-2010, 10:16 AM

24,869 posts, read 24,260,226 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by KevK View Post
The article does not mention one of the biggest reasons that conservatism will suffer and that is simple demographics. The fact is that the nation is getting browner and the younger generations- such as The Millienials and Gen x are not turned on by conservative ideology. Conservative ideology is mainly found in older white people who are dying off. When they die, so to will conservatism. The county is now about 50/50 but the trend is toward liberalism.
Actually I know a lot of Gen X'ers who are turned on by the current Republican parties platform.

They are tired of "taking care of everyone" and not getting ahead themselves. Of course, what many of them don't realize is that they aren't being held back by the social programs like welfare and social security, but rather because the richest Americans have so many tax loopholes, that they end up paying a lower tax rate than those in the middle class.

The lowest income Americans haven't paid taxes for a long time, and the numbers of those on welfare, haven't risen much higher than that of the rate of population growth. Social security pay outs have only increased because of the large numbers of retirees who are part of the baby boomers.

You've got to remember, Gen X'ers are in their 50's now.

On conservatism being dead. I don't believe its dead, just that the "Reagan conservative" is dying out. The old line, neocon brand of the 80's, and the big business brand of the 90's is gone. It was killed in the last election.

The Republican party is searching for a new identity. In that effort, some have returned to their roots, and others have gone to their extremes.

I am starting to hear sensible Republican voices, but they are hard to hear through the noise of Tea Party stupidity. Often after a major defeat, parties go into the wilderness for about 10 years, until they find a common voice. They haven't found that yet. Republicans are tired of the Tea Party, they are tired of Fox News, they are tired of being lumped in with the loons of their party.

I see one of two things happening in this years mid term elections.

1. The radicals could win out. They could vote in all radical, far right Republicans. However, many in the elephant party don't want that. The true conservatives out there would loose, and it would almost ensure President Obamas re-election, as well as a larger Democratic victory in 2012.

2. The conservatives are going to gain steam, but not have a clear "victory". I think they'll gain control of the house, or at least pick up significant amounts of seats. The Senate they don't stand a chance of getting over 50 seats. The radical right will claim "victory because of healthcare", but they are wrong. I see a lot of the conservatives who are running, and winning, as being centrists. They radicals claimed the victory for Scott Brown, but now they aren't happy with him, because he has sided with the Democrats on several items so far. Thats what I hope happens. It'll quell the radical voices, and give the Republican party a new standard. Perhaps it'll help Democrats to be more bipartisan.

I think the second one is going to happen. Unlike many of the radical right, I think bipartisanship will win out. I think the country is headed for a significant turn around, and both parties will be responsible for it, and working together.

The reason I believe this, is because my Generation is gaining strength. Us Gen Y members don't care to much about party. We care about ideas. The party talking points aren't important to us, action is.

Old 04-10-2010, 10:29 AM

8,145 posts, read 6,494,165 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by florida.bob View Post
The Conservative ideology has mutated. It is now the Conservative Theology. The objective, is to create and maintain the position of those who are "rightfully" due the opportunities and rewards this great Nation has to offer. It's a very exclusive group of people that have been ordained to have a place in that congregation. A lot of the public supporting this endeavor, have virtually no chance of actually being baptized into this fraternity, ie. the Tea Party and the legions of those led by the recruiters like FOX "News". It is a very select few that will be allowed in, the rest, just disposable bodies on the front line.
That is so true
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies