Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 04-11-2010, 01:36 PM

20,293 posts, read 37,179,500 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by boiseguy View Post
breast feeding is weird but I'm a guy so my opinion is biased.. I think it all depends though.. I mean if you're in a restaurant where other people are EATING.. it demands a bit more courtesy.. I know it would gross me out if I was trying to eat
But the baby deserves to eat as much as you do. You go to a restaurant to eat, not to look at people eating. Right?

What I fing repulsive is someone blowing his nose, or farting, or belching, when I am eating, for I can hear (or smell in one case) all these things without looking around.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-11-2010, 01:39 PM

20,293 posts, read 37,179,500 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Chatteress View Post
Because exposing a breast is public nudity.
No. That may be true in some places, but not all.

Old 04-11-2010, 01:39 PM

39,031 posts, read 23,018,776 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Katiana View Post

I think the baby's comfort is important, too. Would you like to eat with a sheet over your head?

Then take the baby to a private place so that both the baby and the mother is comfortable during breastfeeding, such as a car. By the way, many babies find clothing uncomfortable and confining so should we allow them to run around in public naked just to make them more comfortable? Wearing clothing is unnatural by the way. The world does not revolve around you and your baby's comfort.

Old 04-11-2010, 01:43 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by RayinAK View Post
But the baby deserves to eat as much as you do. You go to a restaurant to eat, not to look at people eating. Right?

What I fing repulsive is someone blowing his nose, or farting, or belching, when I am eating, for I can hear (or smell in one case) all these things without looking around.
I agree with you about the blowing noses, farting and belching as well as failure to cover one's mouth while coughing/sneezing are gross behaviors but society has gotten so self-centered that we often forget common decorum and manners while in public. I understand that the baby needs to be fed but there are SO MANY WAYS of DISCRETELY breastfeeding that I don't see what the issue folks are having. Everyone is complaining about society being too prudish but it is just not acceptable to be exposing a breast in public where folks will see it. Do it discretely and there will be no issues.

Old 04-11-2010, 01:45 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by RayinAK View Post
No. That may be true in some places, but not all.
Public nudity is not acceptable here in the US. Don't like it, then move to a country that allows women to roam around topless.

Old 04-11-2010, 01:53 PM

12,980 posts, read 14,562,129 times
I have refrained from posting so far because this topic angers me greatly. Most men in this country would be more than delighted if women walked around topless, but if it's to breastfeed, then the double-standard rears its head, and all of a sudden it's disgusting.

Seriously breastfeeding is natural, healthy, and beneficial for everyone. It's a nice idea to think there are wonderful facilities for women to breastfeed privately when out and about, but there are not many. Those of us who have breastfed in a car or public restroom know how unpleasant that is. I always tried to be discreet, but all you can do is try. You can cover a baby's head when it is very small, or when it is not hot, but after a certain age, the baby is just not going to cooperate with having a blanket over its head.

My advice, if breastfeeding offends you, don't look.

Last edited by Zimbochick; 04-11-2010 at 02:13 PM.. Reason: typo

Old 04-11-2010, 01:58 PM

90,297 posts, read 120,747,599 times
Quote:
Then take the baby to a private place so that both the baby and the mother is comfortable during breastfeeding, such as a car. By the way, many babies find clothing uncomfortable and confining so should we allow them to run around in public naked just to make them more comfortable? Wearing clothing is unnatural by the way. The world does not revolve around you and your baby's comfort.
To aswer your question, no, and you are being specious in your reasoning.

I was responding to someone who said that his sister (or someone) stuck the baby under her blouse to feed. Would you like to eat with a sheet draped over you? I don't understand this "banish the nursing woman to her car" mentality either. Suppose it's mid-winter in Minnesota. You're supposed to go out to the car, at night, in -10 degree weather to eat? Maybe you'd like to try that, too. Anyway, as the baby gets bigger, it's pretty difficult to stick him/her completely under your blouse, shirt, whatever garment you have on.

Quote:
Public nudity is not acceptable here in the US. Don't like it, then move to a country that allows women to roam around topless.
Breastfeeding State Laws

Forty-four states, the District of Columbia and the Virgin Islands have laws with language specifically allowing women to breastfeed in any public or private location

Twenty-eight states, the District of Columbia and the Virgin Islands exempt breastfeeding from public indecency laws

So depending on the state, these women that some have seen that strip from the waist up, could be cited for public indecency.

I also found this interesting:

Puerto Rico requires shopping malls, airports, public service government centers and other select locations to have accessible areas designed for breastfeeding and diaper changing that are not bathrooms.

For all of you who think a woman should breast feed in a bathroom.

ETA: I was just discussing this issue with my daughter (age 22) and she said how can you even go to the car if you're at a baseball game or somewhere that the car isn't readily accessible? And don't tell me you shouldn't take the kid to the ball game. Sometimes, that's the only alternative to not going.

Old 04-11-2010, 02:09 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Katiana View Post
To aswer your question, no, and you are being specious in your reasoning.
Actually, I was responding to your comment about a baby being uncomfortable eating with a sheet over its head. I've been around enough babies to know that they do not always find clothing comfortable ... After all, that isn't how they were brought into the world. The question is how far do we go as a society to keep children "comfortable"? Do we ignore public manners and decorum because a child is not comfortable? Are you of the same type that believe that children should run wild in public places and make a racket at restaurants? Remember, you and your child aren't the only paying customers so out of respect, please be discrete. Not saying you cannot breastfeed but don't make it obvious or be a spectacle. That is all we ask.

Old 04-11-2010, 02:11 PM

199 posts, read 319,483 times
Breastfeeding in a bathroom is just ridiculous and completely uncalled for, any one that thinks a woman should do this is repugnant.

As far breastfeeding in public, I have no problem with it what so ever.

And I could care less how "discreet" they are. I have seen women breast feed children several times, not one time have I ever seen one go out of her way to be an exhibitionist. I am sure there are some women that are, but that is likely a minority, and I think it is easier to just ignore them than to impose ridiculous laws that would affect the overwhelming majority of women who are not trying to be. If you don't like it, don't look, your eyes are under voluntary control you know.

This idea that a woman should go to a bathroom to breastfeed a child is just completely ridiculous.

Old 04-11-2010, 02:15 PM

90,297 posts, read 120,747,599 times
Quote:
Actually, I was responding to your comment about a baby being uncomfortable eating with a sheet over its head. I've been around enough babies to know that they do not always find clothing comfortable ... After all, that isn't how they were brought into the world. The question is how far do we go as a society to keep children "comfortable"? Do we ignore public manners and decorum because a child is not comfortable? Are you of the same type that believe that children should run wild in public places and make a racket at restaurants? Remember, you and your child aren't the only paying customers so out of respect, please be discrete. Not saying you cannot breastfeed but don't make it obvious or be a spectacle. That is all we ask.
Your reasoning, as I said, is specious. I'm only talking about breastfeeding, not about allowing children to run around naked, though I shudder to think that someone might find a baby wearing only a diaper in the heat of summer at say, a picnic, offensive. The rest of your post, about kids running wild, making a racket at restaurants, has nothing to do at all with breast feeding, and I take offense at the implication that I would let my kids (who are now 26 and 22 anway) do that, just because I would breast feed them in public.

Who's this "we" kemosabe?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies