Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 04-11-2010, 02:21 PM

13,285 posts, read 15,300,979 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chatteress View Post
The question is how far do we go as a society to keep children "comfortable"? Do we ignore public manners and decorum because a child is not comfortable?
The question is how far do we go as a society to keep grownups "comfortable"? Do we ignore physiology and psychology because some adults are not comfortable with one human eating the food that it is meant to eat from the container that is meant to distribute that food at the table with the rest of the humans?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-11-2010, 02:28 PM

39,031 posts, read 23,016,954 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Katiana View Post
Your reasoning, as I said, is specious. I'm only talking about breastfeeding, not about allowing children to run around naked, though I shudder to think that someone might find a baby wearing only a diaper in the heat of summer at say, a picnic, offensive. The rest of your post, about kids running wild, making a racket at restaurants, has nothing to do at all with breast feeding, and I take offense at the implication that I would let my kids (who are now 26 and 22 anway) do that, just because I would breast feed them in public.

Who's this "we" kemosabe?
Sorry if you took offense but there are MANY parents who allow their children to run wild because "children will be children" without consideration of those around them. When you mentioned the discomfort of the baby eating with a sheet over its head, it just struck me as the same type of reasoning that parents have for allowing their children to run wild in public - it's only the comfort of the child that matters versus what is proper and respectful. As you and others can clearly see, there isn't a consensus on this issue and there are folks that do not wish to be exposed to public nudity. I understand your child's gotta eat but have some discretion please. That's all I and I'm sure others who have voiced similar feelings are asking for. Your child may be the center of your universe but he/she isn't the center of ours. Be mindful of those around you. Like it or not, there ARE pervs that will get their kicks off of viewing your exposed breast so it is in the best interest of mothers to be discrete about breastfeeding.

Old 04-11-2010, 02:35 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by filihok View Post
The question is how far do we go as a society to keep grownups "comfortable"? Do we ignore physiology and psychology because some adults are not comfortable with one human eating the food that it is meant to eat from the container that is meant to distribute that food at the table with the rest of the humans?
Ok ... Continue to feed your baby without being discrete about it. Who cares about some stupid adults that get grossed out and have their paid for meals ruined. It does not matter. Only thing that's important is you and your darling little hungry angel. Let's just throw manners out of the window.

Old 04-11-2010, 02:44 PM

13,285 posts, read 15,300,979 times
Quote:
Ok ... Continue to feed your baby without being discrete about it. Who cares about some stupid adults that get grossed out and have their paid for meals ruined. It does not matter. Only thing that's important is you and your darling little hungry angel. Let's just throw manners out of the window.
I don't actually have baby, or breasts for that matter.

This post has totally made me see the light. Who cares if some child deserves to eat at the table where adults are eating from a breast that produces milk for that child. The only thing that is important is you and your revulsion to a bared breast. Let us just throw the natural order of things out the window.

It really disgusted me today. This handicapped guy was in a restaurant and a caregiver was feeding him. Occasionally saliva mixed with half chewed food would dribble down his chin and onto his shirt. I was disgusted. I think it would have been much better if the caregiver had fed that man in the bathroom or in the alley behind the restaurant because my meal cost me almost $12. I heard what the disabled man ordered and his order was only $11 so my disgust trumps his right to eat.

Old 04-11-2010, 02:51 PM

6,734 posts, read 9,340,061 times
I'm all for breast feeding if the mother is covered up and discrete.

Old 04-11-2010, 02:53 PM

6,993 posts, read 6,336,992 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by filihok View Post
I don't actually have baby, or breasts for that matter.

This post has totally made me see the light. Who cares if some child deserves to eat at the table where adults are eating from a breast that produces milk for that child. The only thing that is important is you and your revulsion to a bared breast. Let us just throw the natural order of things out the window.

It really disgusted me today. This handicapped guy was in a restaurant and a caregiver was feeding him. Occasionally saliva mixed with half chewed food would dribble down his chin and onto his shirt. I was disgusted. I think it would have been much better if the caregiver had fed that man in the bathroom or in the alley behind the restaurant because my meal cost me almost $12. I heard what the disabled man ordered and his order was only $11 so my disgust trumps his right to eat.
Or maybe put a sheet over his head?

Old 04-11-2010, 02:56 PM

6,993 posts, read 6,336,992 times
OK - for one and all, it's DISCREET not discrete....

Quote:
Discreet is an adjective.

It means to be careful or modest, not to cause embarrassment or attract too much attention, especially by keeping something secret.

For example: To work for the royal family you have to be very discreet.
See it in action. (http://www.flickr.com/photos/your_teacher/287970472/ - broken link)
Discrete is an adjective.

It means something is distinct and separate or has a clear independent shape or form.

For example: She painted using strong colours, discrete shapes, and rhythmic patterns.

Old 04-11-2010, 03:07 PM

90,297 posts, read 120,729,686 times
Quote:
Sorry if you took offense but there are MANY parents who allow their children to run wild because "children will be children" without consideration of those around them. When you mentioned the discomfort of the baby eating with a sheet over its head, it just struck me as the same type of reasoning that parents have for allowing their children to run wild in public - it's only the comfort of the child that matters versus what is proper and respectful. As you and others can clearly see, there isn't a consensus on this issue and there are folks that do not wish to be exposed to public nudity. I understand your child's gotta eat but have some discretion please. That's all I and I'm sure others who have voiced similar feelings are asking for. Your child may be the center of your universe but he/she isn't the center of ours. Be mindful of those around you. Like it or not, there ARE pervs that will get their kicks off of viewing your exposed breast so it is in the best interest of mothers to be discrete about breastfeeding.
Do you have any evidence that all these kids who are allowed to "run wild" are also breast fed? If not, it has nothing to do with this thread. Even if so, it has nothing to do with this topic. Breast fed babies usually aren't able to run wild, anywhere.

I do live in a state that "allows" public breast feeding. I don't know if that was the law when I actually was breast feeding, most recently 20 years ago, but I never got arrested.

Old 04-11-2010, 03:21 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Katiana View Post
Do you have any evidence that all these kids who are allowed to "run wild" are also breast fed? If not, it has nothing to do with this thread. Even if so, it has nothing to do with this topic. Breast fed babies usually aren't able to run wild, anywhere.

I do live in a state that "allows" public breast feeding. I don't know if that was the law when I actually was breast feeding, most recently 20 years ago, but I never got arrested.
You are missing the point I'm making. No where did I state that breastfed children are allowed to run wild. I just stated that the rationalizations for breastfeeding in public in a non-discreet manner for the comfort of the baby eating is the same type of rationalizations that parents who allow their children to run wild. The child's comfort is the center of everything and trumps manners and public decorum. I have NO issues with breastfeeding if the woman takes steps to be discreet and there are tons of ways to discreetly breastfeed a child so I'm not sure what the issues some of you mothers are having? Prior to having your babies, would you have been willing to go around topless in public? Why does public decency suddenly change when a baby needs to be fed? Be discreet about it. That's all I'm asking.

Old 04-11-2010, 03:30 PM

90,297 posts, read 120,729,686 times
Quote:
You are missing the point I'm making. No where did I state that breastfed children are allowed to run wild. I just stated that the rationalizations for breastfeeding in public in a non-discreet manner for the comfort of the baby eating is the same type of rationalizations that parents who allow their children to run wild. The child's comfort is the center of everything and trumps manners and public decorum. I have NO issues with breastfeeding if the woman takes steps to be discreet and there are tons of ways to discreetly breastfeed a child so I'm not sure what the issues some of you mothers are having? Prior to having your babies, would you have been willing to go around topless in public? Why does public decency suddenly change when a baby needs to be fed? Be discreet about it. That's all I'm asking.
You're talking about the "slippery slope" theory. I hate to disappoint you, but it doesn't work that way with parenting (if with anything). A three month old child is not automatically going to be a serial killer b/c s/he was breast fed in public. At that age, yes, the child's comfort is the #1 priority. Since 44 states permit "public breastfeeding" and 28 exempt public breast feeding from public indecency laws (there is some overlap in that some states don't specifically "permit" public breast feeding but exempt same from public indececy) the people who need to get over it are the ones who object.

I didn't get followed home by any pervs b/c I breast fed in public, BTW. I get the feeling your idea of discreet is to not breast feed in public, e.g go to the car, go to a stinkhole of a public restroom, or make it appear that you are not breast feeding, e.g. smother the kid in a blanket, etc.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies