Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-10-2010, 11:12 AM

86,052 posts, read 84,464,288 times

Advertisements

Ron Paul, Texas.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-10-2010, 11:31 AM

1,928 posts, read 3,644,576 times
I don't think there are really any good politicians. Meaning by the time they are first elected to any seat they have sold their souls. They make promises and alliances and have to honor those or they won't get re-elected even if it's a local election.

The last one I can think of was Ted Kennedy. Agree with him or not, you knew where he stood and he gained the respect of his fellow senators on both sides of the aisle. He also knew how to work his peers. Now he was there a long time and had a lot of power. But he wasn't trashing anyone personally and playing dirty. He didn't need his party for money or endorsements so he could pretty much follow his own agenda. Again, you knew where he stood on everything.

I am sure there are others but you don't hear about the good ones. They get lost in shuffle of the games the others play.

Old 04-10-2010, 01:52 PM

77,771 posts, read 104,711,350 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by stevemorse View Post
One with no dirt, one who stands by his record. One good honest one! I dont care what the issues are as long as they are consistent. I would like to know one that is actually good.
are you talking about right now or are you talking about in years past, say 30 or 40 years? As for no dirt, what do you mean? I don't care about a politicians personal life within reason, I care about his/her performance and whether she/he does stick to what they believe in. This doesn't mean they can not learn to compromise, nor does it mean they can never change their minds. Hopefully we all grow and do think things in a different way as years go by. Also, I will add, we all need to be realistic, most politicians go into politics because they believe they can make a change, many end up learning it will be pay back time. This doesn't always meant they are dishonest.

Now, the ones that come to mind right now: Lieberman, Ronald Reagan, and as much as I ditested the guy, Ted Kennedy. We are talking about standing up for what you believe in, not were or are these guys really nice people? Oh, another one, Gary Johnson, the old governor of NM. I am sure I could think of more, but right now these are the ones that do pop into my brain.

someone said, Ron Paul, yes, I think I would go along with that as well, Dean, you have to be kidding. Yes, he did stand up for what he believes in I guess, but he is a first rate jerk...I can't believe I would say Kennedy because of what he did on mor than one occassion, but he cared about those who elected him.
Nita

Old 04-10-2010, 01:56 PM

12,372 posts, read 9,310,667 times
I'll add Gerald Ford to the list of dead politicians who were scandal free...except for his wife's drug addiction and that doesn't really count.

Old 04-10-2010, 02:18 PM

412 posts, read 404,943 times
That's a pretty subjective question. Very few politicians are flawless, but a great many do have legitimately good intentions.

Old 04-10-2010, 02:29 PM

68,329 posts, read 54,373,658 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Wayland Woman View Post
I'll add Gerald Ford to the list of dead politicians who were scandal free...except for his wife's drug addiction and that doesn't really count.

As much as I despise Nixon and would have loved to seen him impeached, convicted, and jailed I have to say I believe Ford did the right thing for the country at the time at the cost of his own career. Sadly, a politician putting the country ahead of themself seems a quaint notion at this point.

Old 04-10-2010, 03:17 PM

5,037 posts, read 6,921,958 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Catrick View Post
I don't think there are really any good politicians. Meaning by the time they are first elected to any seat they have sold their souls. They make promises and alliances and have to honor those or they won't get re-elected even if it's a local election.

The last one I can think of was Ted Kennedy. Agree with him or not, you knew where he stood and he gained the respect of his fellow senators on both sides of the aisle. He also knew how to work his peers. Now he was there a long time and had a lot of power. But he wasn't trashing anyone personally and playing dirty. He didn't need his party for money or endorsements so he could pretty much follow his own agenda. Again, you knew where he stood on everything.

I am sure there are others but you don't hear about the good ones. They get lost in shuffle of the games the others play.
Really? Ted Kennedy? He may have been honest about what he stood for and what he was going to do to achieve his goals, but he was never honest about the myriad indiscretions of his youth and middle age.

Old 04-10-2010, 03:20 PM

214 posts, read 130,637 times
No, not even one.

Old 04-10-2010, 03:27 PM

27,624 posts, read 21,120,803 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by stevemorse View Post
One with no dirt, one who stands by his record. One good honest one! I dont care what the issues are as long as they are consistent. I would like to know one that is actually good.
Dennis Kucinich
Bernie Sanders
Russ Feingold
Anthony Weiner

...and there are a few others.

Old 04-10-2010, 03:36 PM

1,928 posts, read 3,644,576 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jayrandom View Post
Really? Ted Kennedy? He may have been honest about what he stood for and what he was going to do to achieve his goals, but he was never honest about the myriad indiscretions of his youth and middle age.
Well the question was about an honest politician. I think Kennedy fit the bill. As for his personal life, if that had been included, then no. And the sad part about that is if we look at the morals and ethics of some of our elected officials, that part never transfers over to the political part.
Kennedy was up front politically. But we all know his personal history. Clinton basically did a good job but was an amoral jerk. And unfortunately the list is too long.

But I think Reagan was a moral person, just not a good politician. I really liked him personally but not his politics. Ford was another good man but not a great pol. Carter was another one but he just didn't get the game they played.

I am sure there are some current ones out there but the few I can think of have in the past caved to do what their parties wanted them to do. And that isn't necessarily what the people wanted. So in my book that doesn't make them good politicians.

I guess I've been around too long and become too jaded and don't really trust anyone any more.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies