Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-08-2007, 06:49 AM

285 posts, read 1,090,977 times

Advertisements

I am wondering if my school district is the norm, or if we are really the exception out there. Currently, in Union County Public Schools in North Carolina, there are FOUR teachers with charges pending for having sexual relationships with students. In one case, the teacher left and was hired in South Carolina.
I am horrified by this. Is this something that is that wide spread in all school districts? Any feedback is appreciated.

I am seeking to remedy parts of this by asking for more rigid reporting requirements, and hope to have the law tightened down to avoid sexual offenders from seeking employment in other counties or states.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-08-2007, 07:18 AM

2,096 posts, read 1,468,601 times
Th pedophiles are in the schools. What we need is an automatic 50 year sentance for teachers for the first offence. Maybe children will not look as appealing.

Old 06-08-2007, 07:29 AM

1,895 posts, read 5,900,886 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by citigirl View Post
Th pedophiles are in the schools. What we need is an automatic 50 year sentance for teachers for the first offence. Maybe children will not look as appealing.
How about that mandatory sentence given to ALL child molesters?

Old 06-08-2007, 07:33 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by deerislesmile View Post
How about that mandatory sentence given to ALL child molesters?

That would be great but whatever the mandatory sentance I think it should be doubled for teachers because of their position with children

Old 06-08-2007, 08:19 AM

428 posts, read 2,440,060 times
It seems like there's a story or two every day, nationwide on this sort of thing happening. That would fit my definition of "epidemic". With all of these cases flooding the media, it makes it difficult to keep track of them, therefore I think they should have their own special website.
This way, the public could track cases from charges filed to verdict to incarceration and beyond.

It's really a shame that the teaching profession has been stunk up by this trend. There will come a day when young ladies will not go into the profession.

Old 06-08-2007, 08:36 AM

Teacher Sued for Showing 'Brokeback Mountain' to Kids

This is the kind of teachers we have in the schools now days.......deviants.

Old 06-08-2007, 09:56 AM

5,642 posts, read 15,709,092 times
I wonder what was the substitute teacher thinking? The teacher should be fired. The movie is rated R (and this almost got the NC-17 rating!). You don't show rated R movies to kids without permission from parents let alone a movie with such a controversial topic. When I was in school (late 90s) we would have to have permission slips from the parents. Then again, I went to a private school, but still.

My school rocked, though. We got to watch good films like Gettysburg, Saving Private Ryan, etc--films that you can actually learn something from.

Old 06-08-2007, 10:36 AM

1,895 posts, read 5,900,886 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by citigirl View Post
Teacher Sued for Showing 'Brokeback Mountain' to Kids

This is the kind of teachers we have in the schools now days.......deviants.
I agree that she should not have shown the movie, and for that lapse in judgement, should be fired. However, I fail to see why you labelled her as a deviant. I fully support teaching our children about how to respect others, even if their values are not our own, and think that the film should have still been shown, but the parents should have have to sign an opt-in slip for the students to view the movie. I don't see that teaching kids that homosexuality exists harms them in any way, but I do understand that the more close-minded parents may not agree and should be notified of possible controversial teaching tools. I also think that if people object to the diversity and tolerance that is taught in public schools, they should send their child to a private school that is more in keeping with their values, or homeschool the children.

I have not seen the movie, so I can't say much more, as I don't know the specific scenes and what not.

Old 06-08-2007, 11:34 AM

The kids were 12 years old. The teacher closed the door and told them that what goes on in her class stays in her class. That is NOT the actions of someone that has the best intentions nor is it something that she felt was right. She was a devient trying to influance children, other people's children by the way, with a movie showing abnormal sex acts between two men. It's a gay propaganda movie. Whenever the man is with his family the filming is derogatory and when he is with the man it all beauty.

Showing a gay sex movie is not the kind of values you show 12 year old kids but I guess it could be considered it mild compared to Fistgate at another school with 12 year olds. When you take advantage of a captive audience of children with sex movies you are a devient.

How about teachers teaching instead of indoctrination?

Last edited by citigirl; 06-08-2007 at 11:46 AM..

Old 06-08-2007, 12:59 PM

428 posts, read 2,440,060 times
"How about teachers teaching instead of indoctrination?"

It could be that she didn't look at it that way, but as a really good babysitting gig. Either way though....
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies