Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-11-2010, 07:21 AM

955 posts, read 2,157,499 times

Advertisements

As national debt continues to rise, the NYT has a very sobering piece on the future of interest rates.

Interest Rates Have Nowhere to Go but Up - NYTimes.com

That, economists say, is the inevitable outcome of the nation’s ballooning debt and the renewed prospect of inflation as the economy recovers from the depths of the recent recession.

It is all very logical, but does not bode well for housing and job creation. Higher interest rates mean higher mortgage payments which will hamper real estate sales. High rates also discourage business investment which can slow job creation. What are our options?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-11-2010, 07:35 AM

24,868 posts, read 24,386,012 times
Interest rates do need to go up.

It will allow for real, healthy businesses to continue, and weed out all of these crappy ones that are costing us billions.

Also, not everyone was meant to own a home. I rented for years, and just now bought a home this year. However, I had friends who went out and bought homes early. Now they are underwater, and in trouble. I know when I was renting, finding a house, in a decent neighborhood, for a decent price was hard. Thats because everyone owned those homes, even though many of them couldn't afford the payments.

Home ownership may go down, but rental prices will also drop as supply increases. That allows people to save money, and buy a home they need, not the one they want.

Old 04-11-2010, 09:09 AM

69,368 posts, read 64,101,577 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Memphis1979 View Post
It will allow for real, healthy businesses to continue, and weed out all of these crappy ones that are costing us billions.
If interest rates go up, the only way it will cost us billions is in higher taxes to pay for the higher interest rates the federal government will need to pay on the national debt..

Old 04-11-2010, 09:12 AM

86,052 posts, read 84,472,986 times
There's no choice here..Treasuries are selling with a near 4% rate ...people are NOT gobbling them up like they did in the past.

So, if the government has to pay out 4% then we are on the hook.

Old 04-11-2010, 09:17 AM

4,792 posts, read 5,901,120 times
ya..my cd rates are really low. at one time I got 7 %. I kid you not. cuss....repeat.

Old 04-11-2010, 09:51 AM

14,247 posts, read 17,921,045 times
Interest rates are now so low that they discourage saving.

Old 04-11-2010, 09:57 AM

1,089 posts, read 655,209 times
Extremely low interest rates are a contributing factor to 'bubble economies' like the one that burst in 2008. We need to employ more people and pay them more so they can purchase without borrowing the money.

Old 04-11-2010, 12:09 PM

955 posts, read 2,157,499 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by pbrauer View Post
Extremely low interest rates are a contributing factor to 'bubble economies' like the one that burst in 2008. We need to employ more people and pay them more so they can purchase without borrowing the money.
Raising interest rates is a means to slow down an overheated economy. I don't believe that we are currently overheating. Also, when I read comments that "we need to employ more people and pay them more..." I always wonder exactly who is the "we" that are talked about to do the hiring? Is this some magic fund that "we" will use to write out payroll checks? Or are businesses expected to pay more and hire because it is the the role of business? Let the not for profits do that with the money they raise from the few remaining taxpayers.

Old 04-11-2010, 12:22 PM

76,971 posts, read 47,621,806 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by UpperPeninsulaRon View Post
As national debt continues to rise, the NYT has a very sobering piece on the future of interest rates.

Interest Rates Have Nowhere to Go but Up - NYTimes.com

That, economists say, is the inevitable outcome of the nation’s ballooning debt and the renewed prospect of inflation as the economy recovers from the depths of the recent recession.

It is all very logical, but does not bode well for housing and job creation. Higher interest rates mean higher mortgage payments which will hamper real estate sales. High rates also discourage business investment which can slow job creation. What are our options?
The Fed kept the rates artificially low for way too long in early-mid 2000s and that was one of the main reasons for the mess we are in at the moment. Also, the current low rates discourage savings and investments in US.

Old 04-11-2010, 12:47 PM

2,847 posts, read 2,517,225 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by UpperPeninsulaRon View Post
Raising interest rates is a means to slow down an overheated economy. I don't believe that we are currently overheating. Also, when I read comments that "we need to employ more people and pay them more..." I always wonder exactly who is the "we" that are talked about to do the hiring? Is this some magic fund that "we" will use to write out payroll checks? Or are businesses expected to pay more and hire because it is the the role of business? Let the not for profits do that with the money they raise from the few remaining taxpayers.
However to continue to attract buyers of our debt, the rate will have to increase and sometime soon, and will need to increase with inflation and to reflect the national debt.

Maybe wrong, but think the 10yr will be between 5 and 5 1/2% by year end.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies