Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-11-2010, 06:37 PM

16,259 posts, read 24,752,651 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Memphis1979 View Post
While his reasonings are because he is an Atheist,

I do think the Pope, and many of the Catholic clergy that allowed young boys to be molested, and go unreported, and try to cover it up, should be arrested, and tried for obstructing justice, endangerment of children, and assistance in a felony (child molestation).
I agree. He should be arrested and tried for his crimes. Crime in the name of Jesus Christ is still crime.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-11-2010, 06:38 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by pghquest View Post
The difference is, the parents never filed criminal charges against the priests.

The parents are just as much to blame if not more for allowing this to continue because they took a payout rather than making sure the priests didnt move on to do it to another innocent victim.
The parents thought it was "God's will"

Old 04-11-2010, 06:39 PM

4,049 posts, read 5,029,983 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tymberwulf View Post
I believe that while the Pope may be aware of the crimes being committed by his priests he can not be held responsible for their actions. A parallel to this would be if Obama found out that several of his military officers were committing war crimes while he was in office and then the public demanding that he be charged for war crimes as well.
The parallel would be if Obama found out about war crimes and continued to let those committing the war crimes keep their jobs, covering it up. Yes, Obama would have some blame in it if that were the case, as the pope does in this case.

Old 04-11-2010, 06:40 PM

Quote:
This is one of those easy to get upset over but hard to come up with a solution kind of cases. But hey, its America and I'm going to throw in my 2 cents.

I believe that while the Pope may be aware of the crimes being committed by his priests he can not be held responsible for their actions. A parallel to this would be if Obama found out that several of his military officers were committing war crimes while he was in office and then the public demanding that he be charged for war crimes as well.

Now that being said, the Pope should do two things to fix this situation and future problems. 1. Don't hide anything, I for one would trust the Catholic Church more if they were not so secretive. 2. Allow the police to conduct investigations and if they are found guilty allow them to be arrested and serve time in prison. While Jesus teaches us to forgive a person's sins he didn't say we should forget his actions.

And finally this atheist is doing nothing other than trying to destroy a religion as well as attempt to increase his own personal power.

This is an ugly situation not being made any better by folks who try to come up with ideas to arrest perhaps the most important religious figurehead in the world.

All and all this makes me happy to be a simple Christian, I read the bible and I try to do what I have learned from it.
I don't trust the Catholic Church at all. And I come from a family of them.

Old 04-11-2010, 06:40 PM

69,368 posts, read 64,081,664 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by KevK View Post
Source? I think its more likely the parents thought "$1,000,000, that'll allow my child to get over it"!

Old 04-11-2010, 06:41 PM

214 posts, read 130,607 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by KevK View Post
Are you serious dude? That is one sick post.

Old 04-11-2010, 06:54 PM

24,868 posts, read 24,377,473 times
Quote:
Heres a scenario,

I run a daycare, and I have someone who works at my daycare, and I find out they sexually molested a child.

Instead of reporting them to the proper authorities, I send the molester to another daycare center, to keep things quiet.

I should be tried for aiding in the cover up of a felony, and for placing a child in danger.

The Pope should get the same treatment.

Old 04-11-2010, 07:57 PM

10,833 posts, read 14,927,894 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Theliberalvoice View Post
The Pope and all of those Priests who molested boys should be in JAIL right now. If I did it, I would be. What makes him any different?
Head of state/diplomatic immunity.

Old 04-11-2010, 08:01 PM

48,502 posts, read 96,816,250 times
Yep'it isn't going to haqppen and he might endup arrested himself.

Old 04-11-2010, 08:08 PM

7,330 posts, read 15,380,121 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by nicet4 View Post
Head of state/diplomatic immunity.
That's a US court decision. Dawkins and Hitchens plan on pulling this stunt in Britain (and are, themselves, British).

In the article, it is noted that the duo has considered the immunity issue, and believes it doesn't apply to the Pope as his state isn't recognized by the UN.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies