Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-12-2010, 01:53 PM

22,230 posts, read 17,783,848 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by MiamiRob View Post
You also left out the last line of the report you quoted :

Social Security officials are also looking into the case to make the surgery happen on Tuesday as had been planned.

Seems to me it was a snafu on Medicaid's part that is being resolved. Anymore anti-Government hyperbole pro Tea Party posts ?
Conveniently ignored by the OP.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-12-2010, 01:54 PM

8,762 posts, read 11,539,053 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by AeroGuyDC View Post
I look at it as very blatant case of government not being competent enough to manage hundreds of millions of healthcare policies. The Law of Averages dictates that problems like this will become more prevalent when government finally has its hands in the healthcare melting pot.
Yes but neither are private companies. I dont think they are competent enough either. They just drop whoever they please.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ultor View Post
We have a program in place already - individual compassion and charity.

I predict this woman will have her surgery thanks to the kindness of friends and strangers alike.
I am sorry but I do not rely completely on charity and compassion. You *think* they will help you but people are cruel and sick these days. I don't have that much faith in humanity. That is why I said we need MORE compassion. I would much rather have a back up plan instead of asking people for money and donations if I ever end up getting sick. People dont have spare money to just throw around.

Old 04-12-2010, 01:56 PM

7,084 posts, read 12,015,436 times
That doesn't seem right, something is wrong that doesn't add up. Title 16 disability payments include Medicaid, title 2 include Medicare...they enroll concurrently. You can get dropped form one health insurance type if you are pulling from the other, which sounds like what they did because an idiot administrative error (it happens with many insurance companies, this was at the worst time). However, little info is provided (and it shouldn't, based on HIPAA requirements). They are still going to make it happen though, which I can't say would happen with other insurers.

Stupidity does not equal outright malice. Malice would be more appropriate to assign to companies that purposefully drop coverage for individuals who have long term illnesses to increase their bottom line (Insurer targeted HIV patients to drop coverage | Reuters).

Old 04-12-2010, 01:58 PM

37,044 posts, read 41,979,600 times
This actually highlights an efficient system that follows their own rules and acknowledges there will be some grey areas. In this case they addressed the situation in time for her surgery. There will always be snafu's and exceptions to be made in life, government health insurance or not. Everyone, everywhere deals with this kind of stuff. I'm glad this worked out well for her.

Old 04-12-2010, 01:58 PM

9,879 posts, read 7,983,352 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Theliberalvoice View Post
That is why I said we need MORE compassion. I would much rather have a back up plan instead of asking people for money and donations if I ever end up getting sick. People dont have spare money to just throw around.
National Single Payer Health Insurance would be it

Single-Payer FAQ | Physicians for a National Health Program

Old 04-12-2010, 02:03 PM

23,838 posts, read 23,035,663 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by pollyrobin View Post
She was dropped from Medicaid because her son's disability check now made her increased present income ineligible to qualify for Medicaid. With that said: the last line of the article you linked stated: As a result of the WFOR CBS 4 report, State Sen. Dave Aronberg is prepared to take action over the weekend. Social Security officials are also looking into the case to make the surgery happen on Tuesday as had been planned.

So your spin about government efficiency holds no water.
If your income is too great - you don't qualify for Medicaid.
The fact that they caught that - shows efficiency
The fact that they caught this also proves that government bureacracy is far too large to efficiently manage tens of millions of health care policies on a personal level. If you want to get someone pisssed off, let there be a snafu at the hospital or doctors office in the middle of a highly personal moment. As I mentioned before, the Law of Averages will dictate that the more government interferes with the process, the more issues like this will rise. Government is not equipped to handle personal issues and special circumstances.

Old 04-12-2010, 02:09 PM

4,627 posts, read 10,438,814 times
Quote:
Talk about a nightmare for Democrats! One one hand they scream from the mountaintops that government is the Solution To All Your Healthcare Needs! ....and on the other hand the Administration lops off the top of the mountain with the Big Social Security Bulldozer!

I've got a feeling that the Congressman taking this case under his wing will be highly successful, lest ObamaPelosiReid look like fools!
Apples and oranges. What has your post got to do with the OP's piece? This shouldn't be news to you seeing as how SS/Medicaid has been run like this for decades. It's typical cumbersome bureaucracy and has nothing whatsoever to do with divisive partisan politics.

And yes, Rep. Hastings and Senator Aronberg are helping the woman. That's their job. Does it really matter whether what their political affiliation is? Seems like it does matter to you. Why do you want to make this into a partisan issue, when the young woman is clearly dieing.

Old 04-12-2010, 02:11 PM

9,644 posts, read 9,812,135 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by florida.bob View Post
Conveniently ignored by the OP.
I didnt ignore anything what is this women having to go thru? Tell me the gov is efficient while shes going thru this .

Do you think this stress on her is helpful to her with her illness?

Old 04-12-2010, 02:12 PM

22,230 posts, read 17,783,848 times
Quote:
The fact that they caught this also proves that government bureacracy is far too large to efficiently manage tens of millions of health care policies on a personal level. If you want to get someone pisssed off, let there be a snafu at the hospital or doctors office in the middle of a highly personal moment. As I mentioned before, the Law of Averages will dictate that the more government interferes with the process, the more issues like this will rise. Government is not equipped to handle personal issues and special circumstances.
It demonstrates the opposite of your assertion. Soc Sec rapid response should be commended, not vilified.

Old 04-12-2010, 02:14 PM

7,605 posts, read 4,820,509 times
Currently isn't this a state issue, which is why the State Senator is involved. The Federal government shares the cost burden, but the states set the rules. The state government is controlled primarily by Republicans in Florida.

Doesn't this also put the lie to the fact that no one is denied coverage in the United States.

If universal health care coverage was in place then most (if not all) of the issues raised in the case would not be preventing her from getting insurance coverage and therefore getting treated.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies