Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 04-12-2010, 08:14 PM

44,882 posts, read 33,124,400 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Smash255 View Post
Yes, he couldn't all by himself, however due to the fact the north had more voting power than the south, they feared Slavery would end. Whether or not it actually would have ended is another story, however the slave states feared it would end so they bolted the Union.
Do you realize that you just said the words that I always use to prove that the Civil War actually started in Kansas Territory. For over 40 years after the Missouri Compromise of 1820 the Congress managed to keep the balance in the Senate by letting in a free state with a slave state. The people in the Kansas Territory refused to allow their state be a slave state when they entered the union in 1861 and fighting erupted between Missouri 'border ruffians'' that I consider terrorists since the balance in representation in the Senate would have been destroyed.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-12-2010, 08:38 PM

24,869 posts, read 24,286,523 times
Quote:
I do know History, and I graduated college with a History Major. I know it was legal under the Constitution and yes they did pay for the slaves, however that does mean they deserved anything from the Government in order to free the slaves. It was a barbaric and heinous practice and needed to be stopped. They deserved nothing for it.
You obviously read slanted books.

Again, here is the order.

The southern states were farmers. Slaves were primarily used, in small numbers, for Tobacco. Then, Mr. Eli Whitney invented the cotton gin, causing a HUGE increase in cotton production. This brought the need for more slaves, and slavery increased in the south, exponentially.

Northern business owners enjoyed cheap cotton, and made LOADS of money off of the practice. Northerners didn't have much need for slaves, because they didn't grow cash crops like cotton.

Several years later, the Republican party was born. This was with the help of many Northern businessmen, who earned their money with slave labor as well. They decided, that if they could end slavery in the south, and not pay southern land owners for their slaves, they could bankrupt them, and seize the land for themselves.

This, did not go over with the Democrats in government. After a Republican majority in the Senate, and House, and the Presidency were held, movement started to do just that.

To ROB SOUTHERN LAND OWNERS, OF THEIR LEGALLY HELD PROPERTY, ALLOWED UNDER THE UNITED STATES CONSTITUTION.

I don't think many people today, would stand there while the government seized their property, and offered them no compensation for that.

Thats called theft, under whatever law it is done under.

Heres the kicker

THE CONFEDERACY PLANNED ON BUYING THE SLAVES, AND ENDING THE PRACTICE AFTER THE WAR.

Thats right, Jefferson Davis, and most of the confederate politicians wanted to end slavery. It was costly, the souths trading partners didn't like it (England and France), and was just to hard to keep going.

But, your history books don't cover that, because the PC police don't like the truth. Its all better when they say "We were good, and they were bad"

Oh, and I have a history degree to. I actually debated my teacher on the cause of the civil war, and won the debate.

Old 04-12-2010, 08:59 PM

22,100 posts, read 19,303,408 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Memphis1979 View Post
You obviously read slanted books.

Again, here is the order.

The southern states were farmers. Slaves were primarily used, in small numbers, for Tobacco. Then, Mr. Eli Whitney invented the cotton gin, causing a HUGE increase in cotton production. This brought the need for more slaves, and slavery increased in the south, exponentially.

Northern business owners enjoyed cheap cotton, and made LOADS of money off of the practice. Northerners didn't have much need for slaves, because they didn't grow cash crops like cotton.

Several years later, the Republican party was born. This was with the help of many Northern businessmen, who earned their money with slave labor as well. They decided, that if they could end slavery in the south, and not pay southern land owners for their slaves, they could bankrupt them, and seize the land for themselves.

This, did not go over with the Democrats in government. After a Republican majority in the Senate, and House, and the Presidency were held, movement started to do just that.

To ROB SOUTHERN LAND OWNERS, OF THEIR LEGALLY HELD PROPERTY, ALLOWED UNDER THE UNITED STATES CONSTITUTION.

I don't think many people today, would stand there while the government seized their property, and offered them no compensation for that.

Thats called theft, under whatever law it is done under.

Heres the kicker

THE CONFEDERACY PLANNED ON BUYING THE SLAVES, AND ENDING THE PRACTICE AFTER THE WAR.

Thats right, Jefferson Davis, and most of the confederate politicians wanted to end slavery. It was costly, the souths trading partners didn't like it (England and France), and was just to hard to keep going.

But, your history books don't cover that, because the PC police don't like the truth. Its all better when they say "We were good, and they were bad"

Oh, and I have a history degree to. I actually debated my teacher on the cause of the civil war, and won the debate.
To say southern landowners were robbed by the federal government because of not being able to own slaves anymore is one of the most BARBARIC and HEINOUS things I have ever heard. They shouldn't have gotten anything from the government for not being able to enslave human beings anymore.

Old 04-12-2010, 09:11 PM

Quote:
To say southern landowners were robbed by the federal government because of not being able to own slaves anymore is one of the most BARBARIC and HEINOUS things I have ever heard. They shouldn't have gotten anything from the government for not being able to enslave human beings anymore.
I didn't say they were being robbed, by not being able to own slaves.

I said they were being robbed, because their legally bought property, was under threat of seizure by the federal government, with no compensation for the loss.

That is illegal, regardless of the morality of it or not.

As I said, southern states had all intentions to end slavery, after the war. However, they planned on doing it responsibly, by first outlawing the importation of more slaves. Then, allowing free purchase of slaves (you know, if the owner wants rid of them), then, by seizing the slaves, and giving them at least some money for the ones still held.

Old 04-12-2010, 09:16 PM

Quote:
I didn't say they were being robbed, by not being able to own slaves.

I said they were being robbed, because their legally bought property, was under threat of seizure by the federal government, with no compensation for the loss.

That is illegal, regardless of the morality of it or not.

As I said, southern states had all intentions to end slavery, after the war. However, they planned on doing it responsibly, by first outlawing the importation of more slaves. Then, allowing free purchase of slaves (you know, if the owner wants rid of them), then, by seizing the slaves, and giving them at least some money for the ones still held.

Not getting compensation if enslaving humans were made illegal is not robbery.

Old 04-12-2010, 09:22 PM

Quote:
Not getting compensation if enslaving humans were made illegal is not robbery.
So says you now, but then, it was a different matter.

You're clouding reality, with you moral standing. You must remember, most Northerners didn't give a damn about slavery.

Old 04-12-2010, 09:27 PM

Quote:
So says you now, but then, it was a different matter.

You're clouding reality, with you moral standing. You must remember, most Northerners didn't give a damn about slavery.
Whether or not most northerners cared or not about slavery doesn't mean the southerners deserved compensation for no longer enslaving human beings. Nor does it mean that they should have left the Union due to fears of slavery ending. And we sure as hell should not be celebrating the actions of the Confederates.

Old 04-12-2010, 10:32 PM

86,052 posts, read 84,113,493 times
Quote:
At the time it was legal..you have to read history with perspective of that time. But, as a history major, I'm sure you know that.

Old 04-12-2010, 11:07 PM

3,436 posts, read 2,937,400 times
To those who want to argue about how the slaves were treated and say that they were not treated like animals, have you forgotten how they were packed like sardenes on slaveships and forced to lay in their own waste? Do you think they ate what the master ate? Do you think rape wasn't common? Or beating?

I don't need a history lesson. I have taken many history classes and contrary to what some of you would like to believe, the majority of slaves did not live well. Living in unsanitary conditions, eating spoiled food, wearing rags, being forced to pick cotton until your hands bleed, giving birth to babies in cotton fields, being sold and separated from your family, forbidden to learn to read, congregate, practice religion, forced to beat your own, take care of someone else's child before you take care of your own and to be hunted and chased by dogs if you try to free for yourself is far from pleasant.

I feed my dogs better food than what slaves ate. I don't abuse my dogs or make them work until they can't. To say that they were not treated like animals would be correct, they were treated WORSE than animals. Not sure why some people feel the need to glorify the old south as if all the slaves were happy and living in "Gone with the Wind" until the yankees came along and ruined everything. BS. It is what it is.

Old 04-12-2010, 11:37 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by HappyTexan View Post
At the time it was legal..you have to read history with perspective of that time. But, as a history major, I'm sure you know that.
I do realize it was legal at the time. However that doesn't mean we should be celebrating those who fought on the side of the ones that left the Union as a result of fears that they would not be able to enslave humans anymore and would not be compensated for that loss.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies