Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 04-15-2010, 05:02 PM

11,449 posts, read 14,461,350 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by LuckyGem View Post
Do you agree or disagree with the claim:

Pope's No. 2: Pedophilia linked to homosexuality - Yahoo! News (http://news.yahoo.com/s/ap/20100412/ap_on_re_la_am_ca/lt_chile_church_abuse - broken link)

Could it be that the Catholic church is looking to scapegoat an entire community for their lack of response to the pedophile problem for so many centuries?
This is pathetic. Rather then fess up to condoning the rape of children, they reach out for this. Pathetic wastes of space...

Old 04-17-2010, 12:27 PM

12,711 posts, read 13,473,557 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Zimbochick View Post
Fine. Hebephilia and Ephebephilia are terms that are being reviewed, and may or may not be adoped by the APA and included in the DSM-V.
They will not, as they are ludicrous. There is perhaps a greater likelihood of pedophilia being removed from the DSM than of either of those terms being added.

Quote:
Of course they have a sex drive, they are going through massive hormonal changes. That has nothing to do with the classification of an adult having a sexual attraction to a minor. There's a pesky little thing called the age of consent. It is in place for a reason, so adults do not take advantage of impressionable and easily taken advantage of teens.
Teens must be different where you are than from where I grew up. I was not "easily taken advantage of" nor were any of my friends. I knew what I liked, what I didn't like, and how to get rid of people I didn't want. The "helpless teen" myth is one of those uniquely American, yet idiotic myths we refuse to question.

Quote:
Normal teens exploring their sexuality make out with other teens in the back of their dad's car, they do not have sexual intercourse with a 50 year-old priest as part of their journey.
And you get your qualifications to decide what is a "normal" choice for a particular teenager from where exactly?

Substitute that with the sentence "normal teens exploring their sexuality do it with an opposite-sex partner, they do not include homosexuality as part of their journey."

The one claim is just as bigoted and insensitive as the other, although not everyone is of the intellectual caliber to understand that.

Quote:
WOW! Just, wow! So in your book, it's just fine and dandy for a teenager to have sexual relations with an adult, one who has a position of power and authority over the teen, because the teen probably enjoys it? So teachers, scout masters, coaches, all fine?
Depends on whether they actually use that authority to coerce the sexual relations. From what I've seen, they don't in far more cases than they do. In almost all cases I've known anything about, the teenager was well aware of their capacity to ruin the older partner's reputation and/or life. In other words, a rather large check and balance on that supposed "authority".

Old 04-17-2010, 12:31 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by GuyNTexas View Post
So, according to the gay community at the time of the founding of NAMBLA, the prosecution of child molesters was an "anti-gay witch hunt" rather than arresting sick, deviate child molesters.
It was an anti-gay witch-hunt. Sorry, facts are stubborn things.

It doesn't remotely follow that every position of NAMBLA is a correct one. But yes, they were formed because of an anti-gay witch-hunt.

Old 04-17-2010, 01:29 PM

12,980 posts, read 14,556,847 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by djacques View Post
They will not, as they are ludicrous. There is perhaps a greater likelihood of pedophilia being removed from the DSM than of either of those terms being added.

Teens must be different where you are than from where I grew up. I was not "easily taken advantage of" nor were any of my friends. I knew what I liked, what I didn't like, and how to get rid of people I didn't want. The "helpless teen" myth is one of those uniquely American, yet idiotic myths we refuse to question.

And you get your qualifications to decide what is a "normal" choice for a particular teenager from where exactly?

Substitute that with the sentence "normal teens exploring their sexuality do it with an opposite-sex partner, they do not include homosexuality as part of their journey."

The one claim is just as bigoted and insensitive as the other, although not everyone is of the intellectual caliber to understand that.

Depends on whether they actually use that authority to coerce the sexual relations. From what I've seen, they don't in far more cases than they do. In almost all cases I've known anything about, the teenager was well aware of their capacity to ruin the older partner's reputation and/or life. In other words, a rather large check and balance on that supposed "authority".
That petty insult seriously undermines any attempt at a serious discussion.

I am curious though, do you not believe there should be a legal age of consent? If no, why? If yes, what should it be? Do you think sexual relationships between teachers/students or religious leaders/parishioner children should be allowed to flourish?

Someone very important in my life was sexually assaulted by a teacher when he was a teen, and it adversely affected his entire life. I think it is disingenuous to say that every teen enjoys sexual encounters of that type, that simply is not the case.

Old 04-18-2010, 11:26 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Zimbochick View Post
I am curious though, do you not believe there should be a legal age of consent? If no, why? If yes, what should it be? Do you think sexual relationships between teachers/students or religious leaders/parishioner children should be allowed to flourish?
There needs to be some age of consent. I've given my views on what it should be elsewhere, and I'm not interested in rehashing that argument. I'm less concerned about advocating or challenging a particular age of consent law, than I am with challenging the prevailing idea that anyone who trangresses the law is a fiend on the level of Jeffrey Dahmer or Ted Bundy.

Quote:
Someone very important in my life was sexually assaulted by a teacher when he was a teen, and it adversely affected his entire life. I think it is disingenuous to say that every teen enjoys sexual encounters of that type, that simply is not the case.
Without knowing whether the verb "assault" is being used in a literal or a moralistic, metaphorical sense in that statement, I can't evaluate it. You'll note, of course, that the law does not apply only in cases where there is any evidence at all the teen was "adversely affected".

I wonder whether the teen in this case from my state was "adversely affected" by the application of the prized age of consent law:

Brian Corbitt: ZoomInfo Business People Information

Old 04-19-2010, 12:08 AM

592 posts, read 414,465 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by LuckyGem View Post
Do you agree or disagree with the claim:

Pope's No. 2: Pedophilia linked to homosexuality - Yahoo! News (http://news.yahoo.com/s/ap/20100412/ap_on_re_la_am_ca/lt_chile_church_abuse - broken link)

Could it be that the Catholic church is looking to scapegoat an entire community for their lack of response to the pedophile problem for so many centuries?
In context, since the victims were boys, he is saying the argument against celibacy doesn't apply ie. homosexuality is the problem. I would agree. I think homosexuality is a learned behaviour. That would mean there is no such thing as being born that way. However, in a spiritual sense, one might be born lawless and blind. It might also mean there is no such thing as heterosexuality, unless it is promoted - which it is because it is biologically normal. But where men lying with men is accepted and promoted and taught, we might expect people will argue that biology can be ignored - that same sex couples can adopt or gain children through artificial means.

Old 04-19-2010, 12:32 AM

25,157 posts, read 53,931,506 times
I've never seen a child in any of the gay pride parade videos.

Old 04-19-2010, 07:14 AM

17,842 posts, read 14,377,437 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MarkT3 View Post
In context, since the victims were boys, he is saying the argument against celibacy doesn't apply ie. homosexuality is the problem. I would agree.
Just because the victims were boys, does not mean the men were homosexual. See the links to the studies in my previous post in this thread.
//www.city-data.com/forum/politics-other-controversies/947272-catholic-church-links-pedophilia-homosexuality.html#post13717616

Old 04-19-2010, 07:15 AM

17,842 posts, read 14,377,437 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MarkT3 View Post
I think homosexuality is a learned behaviour. That would mean there is no such thing as being born that way.
What makes you think homosexuality is a "learned behaviour"?

I think you'll find that the vast majority of scientists and medical professionals throughout the world would disagree with you on that, as well as 100's of millions of gay people...

Here's just a few of the more recent studies:
Quote:
Current evidence indicates that sexual differentiation of the human brain occurs during fetal and neonatal development and programs our gender identity— our feeling of being male or female and our sexual orientation as hetero-, homo-, or bisexual. This sexual differentiation process is accompanied by many structural and functional brain differences among these groups.

Swaab DF (2007) Sexual differentiation of the brain and behavior. Best Pract Res Clin Endocrinol Metab 21:431–444.
Quote:
"There's a converging line of evidence between the hormonal studies, the genetic studies, and the neuroanatomical studies. My research has identified candidate genes within these new chromosomal regions that could link together all of these different findings”

Mustanski, B. S.; DuPree, M. G.; Nievergelt, C. M.; Bocklandt, S.; Schork, N. J.; Hamer, D. H. “A genomewide scan of male sexual orientation.” Human Genetics 116: 272-278, 2005
A genomewide scan of male sexual orientation. [Hum Genet. 2005] - PubMed result
Quote:
(2008) Brain scans have provided the most compelling evidence yet that being gay or straight is a biologically fixed trait.
The scans reveal that in gay people, key structures of the brain governing emotion, mood, anxiety and aggressiveness resemble those in straight people of the opposite sex.
The differences are likely to have been forged in the womb or in early infancy, says Ivanka Savic, who conducted the study at the Karolinska Institute in Stockholm, Sweden

http://www.pnas.org/content/early/2008/06/13/0801566105.abstract
There are differences between homosexuals and heterosexuals - including biological differences:
Quote:
Physical and Mental Differences -There are many subtle physical differences associated associated with homosexuals when compared to heterosexuals, from hair patterns to differences in brain anatomy. Furthermore there are differences in certain cognitive functions. Most all of these differences (though not all) point to a cause for homosexuality in the genes or in prenatal occurrences, such as differences in brain structure, body shape, and certain cognitive abilities.
How homosexuals are different from heterosexuals
And for an overview of the causes of homosexuality:
The Causes of Homosexuality

Last edited by Ceist; 04-19-2010 at 07:26 AM..

Old 04-19-2010, 08:03 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by artsyguy View Post
I've never seen a child in any of the gay pride parade videos.
I attended the 1993 Gay Rights Rally in D.C. and there were a few children in attendance; but the rally itself, contrary to popular views, was no more sexually themed than an average night of watching cable television. You could seek out topless lesbians marching if that was what you wanted to find, or you could go hang out at the Vietnam Wall. Something for every age and taste, in other words.

There was one 2-year-old girl running around in the nude around a fountain, (as you may occasionally see on any beach in the country) which everyone thought was adorable and the absolute furthest thing from lurid.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies