Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: Should Elena Kagan's sexual orientation be considered in her confirmation hearings?
Yes, her sexual orientation should be discussed 41 23.03%
No, it does not matter 137 76.97%
Voters: 178. You may not vote on this poll

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-10-2010, 09:14 PM

26,218 posts, read 49,052,722 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by scuba steve View Post
I stand by my statement - that for a position as important as a position on the supreme court actual experience as a judge would be important, just as prior job experience matters for pretty much anything someone applies for. However, their sexual orientation doesn't mean a thing IMO.....
Agree, people's private lives are just that, private. Back in the day.... no self respecting conservative would even dream of invading people's privacy and personal life; such things were off limits. By looking up Roy Cohn we can see that the GOP and conservative world tolerated this hugely gay person .... back in the day. Today, the GOP, and especially groups like the AFA, et al, would tar and feather this guy. Why? What's changed?

The SCOTUS has plenty of jurists with bench time and actually could use the perspective of someone who has not been on the bench before. Kagan is well regarded in most circles, save for what passes today for GOP conservatives who will do anything to keep Kagan off the court. It's a true shame that our politics is so poisonous, we are destroying ourselves from within.
- Realtors are welcome here but do see our Realtor Advice to avoid infractions.
- Thank you and enjoy City-Data.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-10-2010, 09:14 PM

21,026 posts, read 22,153,076 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by scuba steve View Post
I stand by my statement - that for a position as important as a position on the supreme court actual experience as a judge would be important, just as prior job experience matters for pretty much anything someone applies for. However, their sexual orientation doesn't mean a thing IMO.

You've got a decent message, just tone down the rhetoric. (clowns, American Taliban, evango-fascists ...)
"""""I stand by my statement - that for a position as important as a position on the supreme court actual experience as a judge would be important"""""

If other judges didn't have the experience but have done a good job why do you stick to your stance??? Doesn't make sense...

Is it because a BLACK man appointed a FEMALE, a lesbian no less!!!?????

Old 05-10-2010, 09:18 PM

16,966 posts, read 34,722,949 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by AnUnidentifiedMale View Post
Perhaps she believes it's a personal matter.

If she was open about being gay, there's no doubt that we would hear social conservatives complaining, "Why does she have to announce her sexuality to the world?!"

IF she were gay, and it were disclosed at this point, wouldn't it give the conservatives a tizzy about the potential for legalizing gay marriage?

FWIW -- I voted not our business.

Old 05-10-2010, 09:22 PM

26,680 posts, read 28,674,422 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by OhBeeHave View Post
IF she were gay, and it were disclosed at this point, wouldn't it give the conservatives a tizzy about the potential for legalizing gay marriage?
Absolutely. Ironically, she has said that she believes the Defense Of Marriage Act is constitutional. Of course, that still wouldn't stop them from attacking her for being possibly gay.

Kagan: 'There is No Federal Constitutional Right to Same-Sex Marriage'

Old 05-10-2010, 09:23 PM

7,085 posts, read 12,057,017 times
Maybe they should make Ted Haggard to be their spokesman, I know he could lead the charge about focusing on family morals about gays.

Old 05-10-2010, 09:23 PM

21,026 posts, read 22,153,076 times
I noticed that 8 perverts wanted to discuss Kagan's sex life....have we discussed the sex life of ALL the OTHER Supreme Court Judges???

C'mon, LET'S!!!!

We want video, stills, lurid descriptions....ALL of it from ALL the judges!!!!

HOW does the court survive without full disclosure of the justices sex lives???

Old 05-10-2010, 09:26 PM

26,211 posts, read 19,525,255 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by nmnita View Post
No she would not be the only Protestant, she is Jewish. If she is confirmed and most likely she will be, there will be on Protestants on the court.

Nita
Correct, I got that mixed up. She is Jewish. Her religion is as irrelevant to me as her sexual orientation.

I would prefer an atheist on the Supreme Court.

Old 05-10-2010, 09:28 PM

23,838 posts, read 23,127,661 times
I personally could care less if she's gay or not. But since homosexuals have made it Agenda Item #1 to put their sexuality out in the forefront of American issues, I say shove her out of the closet and vet her for every ounce of her being. If gays want to be wholly recognized, then she should own up to her personal circumstance and be subject to the ramifications of that circumstance.

Old 05-10-2010, 09:32 PM

11,431 posts, read 19,003,195 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by odanny View Post
I heard on the radio that this woman, while at Harvard, found the "Dont Ask, Dont Tell" policy so discriminatory that she banned military recruiters from campus.

While I admire her principles and her character, I also realize this is red meat to all the droolers out there.

I also heard "that she would be the only Protestant" on the Supreme Court.

Who &%$# Cares?
she's jewish, not Protestant. i hope that our Senate does not stoop down to the level of questioning her or anyone's sexual orientation for a Court nomination. That would be a really bad day for our Country.

Old 05-10-2010, 09:35 PM

26,211 posts, read 19,525,255 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by AeroGuyDC View Post
I personally could care less if she's gay or not. But since homosexuals have made it Agenda Item #1 to put their sexuality out in the forefront of American issues, I say shove her out of the closet and vet her for every ounce of her being. If gays want to be wholly recognized, then she should own up to her personal circumstance and be subject to the ramifications of that circumstance.
Ha Ha Ha Ha Ha!!!!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies