Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: Should Elena Kagan's sexual orientation be considered in her confirmation hearings?
Yes, her sexual orientation should be discussed 41 23.03%
No, it does not matter 137 76.97%
Voters: 178. You may not vote on this poll

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-11-2010, 08:58 AM

191 posts, read 143,935 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by AnUnidentifiedMale View Post
But wait. The right-wingers on this forum told me that Kagan is a "radical".

You mean, it's not true? They would never make something up just for political reasons, would they?

You're right. And they're the only ones that do that.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-11-2010, 08:58 AM

38,496 posts, read 25,811,747 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mike from back east View Post
Exactly!

But the AFA, FRC, FOTF, ADF, et al, care more about fund-raising for themselves than about solving family problems.
What have those clowns done about our divorce rate of 50% or more? They've pointed the finger of blame at the gays for ruining traditional marriage. What a crock. Now they are trotting out their same, patented, gay-bashing, misogynistic hate speech to try and derail this woman's appointment to the SCOTUS. Saddest of all is that millions of people will fall for this latest trash talk and send in million$ more to buy air time to fight this, rather than support churches in their own communities that are out there trying to help those out of work and can't afford food.
So true! I tried to contact the MN Family Research Council shortly after the last election. I wanted to give them some imformation they could use to actually help families. However, no one ever answered the phone. To make a long story short, I learned that they closed up shop after the election was over! Apparently, that is what they are there for. To hell with actually helping familes.

Old 05-11-2010, 09:00 AM

23,838 posts, read 23,121,445 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by zuendel View Post
just business as usual...

I think this whole 'controversy' is kind of funny. Useless, but funny nonetheless: Conservatives claiming the right to know, to invade into the personal life of a citizen, Liberals defending said personal space, limiting the publics power. Is it opposite day?

A persons' sexuality doesn't have any influence on their take on the law. Thus the question is completely irrelevant.

It seems to me that she must be water tight in professional qualification, and this ridiculous point is the last stand of those trying to prevent her nomination.

And this should tell us something about the moral standards of those lowly scumbags, discussing sexual orientation over professional qualifications in one of the most important jobs in the US...
The bolded part: What kind of dreamworld are you living in? That's like saying Sotomayor will not look to Hispanic issues with any bias, even though she has deep ties to Hispanic political affiliations (La Raza anyone?). So Kagan's view of homosexual issues will simply disappear the first day she sits on the bench too, huh? RIIIIIIIGGGGGGGGHHHHHTTTT.

The homosexuals on this forum are secretly hoping that she's gay while outwardly professing that her private life is nobody's business. All of this while shoving your homosexuality down everyone's throat at every opportunity. What a sham you folks really are. None of you are fooling anyone.

Old 05-11-2010, 09:01 AM

24,868 posts, read 24,386,012 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by xavierob82 View Post
I'm a liberal, and against late-term abortion (in fact, any abortion after the 1st trimester should be illegal).

This will not effect Kagan's chances.
I'm the same way, unless there is a medical need for it, or some kind of outside the box kind of situation.

You know, like the child has a birth defect that places the mothers life in danger, and there is no doubt that the child won't live at all, or very long after birth, or in severe cases of rape and abuse.

Imagine if that young girl who was locked up by that rapist not to long ago, was found while 6 months pregnant. Could you honestly tell her she must carry the child to full term?

I'd at least give her the option.

Old 05-11-2010, 09:03 AM

5,412 posts, read 4,239,419 times
Default I think Obama is trying to kill two birds with one stone with Kagan

(1) He gets a liberal on the court. That's an obvious one

But I think, that he deliberately picked her, because he knows that the far right will hate her, because she's Jewish and a lesbian. And the Far left, being also anti Semitic and Anti Israel, and their concern with the far right about there being "too much Jewish influence".... So basically, there will be more hatred towards Jews, and then Obama can justify anti Israel policies.

Get people to be mad at Jews, you can punish Israel. Yet still have a liberal who otherwise supports your agenda..

Old 05-11-2010, 09:10 AM

42,732 posts, read 29,874,717 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by AeroGuyDC View Post
The bolded part: What kind of dreamworld are you living in? That's like saying Sotomayor will not look to Hispanic issues with any bias, even though she has deep ties to Hispanic political affiliations (La Raza anyone?). So Kagan's view of homosexual issues will simply disappear the first day she sits on the bench, huh? RIIIIIIIGGGGGGGGHHHHHTTTT.

The homosexuals on this forum are secretly hoping that she's gay while outwardly professing that her private life is nobody's business. What a sham you folks really are.
And then there are some of us who actually think that what happens in the bedroom belongs in the bedroom, and is nobody's business. We don't know the sexual proclivities of any of the other justices. We don't know if any of them indulge in what some people would consider perversions. Maybe one or two of them are into S&M. Maybe some like to be tied up. Does that mean they are unable to rule on the Constitutionality of various laws?

Kagan up to now has been a private citizen, and kept her private life private. That should be respected. Period.

Old 05-11-2010, 09:11 AM

2,125 posts, read 1,939,708 times
Yes Obama picked a Jewish woman for the Supreme Court so that he could justify his anti-Israel policies. That's not ridiculous at all. Great thread.

Old 05-11-2010, 09:12 AM

5,412 posts, read 4,239,419 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by dunks_galore View Post
Yes Obama picked a Jewish woman for the Supreme Court so that he could justify his anti-Israel policies. That's not ridiculous at all. Great thread.

Well, if people can say, and the far left and far right think there's too many jews in government, you can get more anti jewish sentiment, and thus become more anti israel in p oilcy if antisemitism becomes more mainstream.

Old 05-11-2010, 09:13 AM

20,187 posts, read 23,852,928 times
Huh? The far right "hates" her? I know some really far, really far right people and they think she's great... so your premise is already false...

Old 05-11-2010, 09:17 AM

24,868 posts, read 24,386,012 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by sanrene View Post
How many? 6?
Thats 600% more than Meyers did, ain't it?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies