Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: Should Elena Kagan's sexual orientation be considered in her confirmation hearings?
Yes, her sexual orientation should be discussed 41 23.03%
No, it does not matter 137 76.97%
Voters: 178. You may not vote on this poll

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-11-2010, 07:44 PM

19,890 posts, read 18,755,547 times

Advertisements

It is interesting how the liberals have the long knives out fro her. The Republicans ought to push her through if by some miracle she is defeated they may have to fight against someone who is actually qualified.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-11-2010, 07:46 PM

37,972 posts, read 22,157,422 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by HappyTexan View Post
There was little known about Obama before Nov 2008 and look where he landed. A "blank page" resume of accomplishments doesn't seem to raise too many eyebrows.

Obama wants her in ...we'll see how the hearings go.
not really, we had a lot about 0bama, its just that no one wanted to report it. His interviews where he outlined his version of a cap & trade program, his view that the Constitution was a flawed document, and his desire for UHC and his slavish devotion to SEIU etc...

We have all but nothing, so far, about Kagan. She seems to have gone thru her career without leaving any evidence of her thoughts and opinions concerning law, politics. Maybe she is just not interested enough in any of the many supreme court decisions that have been made throughout her life time.

Old 05-11-2010, 08:37 PM

22,190 posts, read 19,466,581 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by thePR View Post
You're unbelievable. Gonna go round up everyone who isn't ultra-conservative and put them in a camp? Marxist? HA! Give me a break.
Exactly a marxist according to him is anyone to the left of Scalia and Alito...

Old 05-11-2010, 08:48 PM

22,190 posts, read 19,466,581 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by nononsenseguy View Post
Figures that would come from "Think Progress". And you believe it I'm sure. You just lost a little more credibility.

Funny this hasn't cropped up anywhere else? Total propaganda. Why are you reading such garbage?
Really it hasn't cropped up anywhere else?? Its all a bunch of left wing propaganda? Really now?? So this article on the AFA website is what then???

Quote:
It's time we got over the myth that what a public servant does in his private life is of no consequence. We cannot afford to have another sexually abnormal individual in a position of important civic responsibility, especially when that individual could become one of nine votes in an out of control oligarchy that constantly usurps constitutional prerogatives to unethically and illegally legislate for 300 million Americans.

The stakes are too high. Social conservatives must rise up as one and say no lesbian is qualified to sit on the Supreme Court. Will they?
Kagan Nomination Another Consequence of Apathetic Conservatives

Old 05-11-2010, 08:55 PM

26,680 posts, read 28,674,422 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by nononsenseguy View Post
Funny this hasn't cropped up anywhere else? Total propaganda. Why are you reading such garbage?
It really doesn't take much effort to confirm these things.

Let me google that for you (http://tinyurl.com/2ufjm7h - broken link)

Old 05-11-2010, 09:58 PM

15,088 posts, read 13,452,870 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Wapasha View Post
If an associate justices job is to "interpret the Constitution as fairly and consistently as possible" then it sure would be nice to see some written opinions, books or op-ed articles she has written in news journals about the constitution. At least if she did not practice law, we might be able to see how she has viewed the US Constitution in the past.

The possibility that she was discussing theoretical Constitutional law among her colleagues in Harvard is not going to suffice.
I would actually agree. I'm not saying she's the best choice; my point is just that approaching this issue from the perspective of "representing" some perception of what one personally thinks is America is rather misguided.

Old 05-11-2010, 10:04 PM

44,882 posts, read 33,274,487 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ambient View Post
I would actually agree. I'm not saying she's the best choice; my point is just that approaching this issue from the perspective of "representing" some perception of what one personally thinks is America is rather misguided.
I am about to go to bed so I will part with the words that since there are more females alive in the US than males I guess she is representative of them. Whoopee, 2 1/2 more years surely he can appoint at least 2 more women and hopefully one will be black.

Old 05-11-2010, 10:41 PM

15,088 posts, read 13,452,870 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by roysoldboy View Post
I am about to go to bed so I will part with the words that since there are more females alive in the US than males I guess she is representative of them. Whoopee, 2 1/2 more years surely he can appoint at least 2 more women and hopefully one will be black.
went right over your head, didn't it.

Old 05-11-2010, 11:11 PM

1,089 posts, read 655,501 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by roysoldboy View Post
Here we go with more MediaMatters spinning and this time they have outdone themselves. The problem is that many more like you read them and accept the twist and spin as truth.
Really? Please indicate where they are spinning and outdone themselves.

Old 05-11-2010, 11:33 PM

13,186 posts, read 14,980,467 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Wapasha View Post
Well, with little to no written opinions, op-ed pieces, books, journals or papers about constitutional law, it seems she has done a pretty good job her entire life of not making her opinions known.

I have heard from more then a few close associates and life long friends who said they know nothing about her opinions on anything.
Which was in all likelyhood intentional are her part. And what does that say about the process where you must hide your judicial philosophy to better your chances of getting picked?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies