Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-12-2010, 09:33 PM

5,319 posts, read 8,981,479 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by thecoalman View Post
I just outlined one mistake that could bring the whole house of cards down if it was exploited by enough people.
And once your mistake is pointed out to the right people, it is corrected.

And life goes on.

Don't expect the Health Care Reform bill to be absolutely perfect right out of the box.

It's a huge bill, and there always is the possibility of issues not previously considered by the authors of the bill.

Nobody is perfect.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-12-2010, 09:35 PM

86,052 posts, read 84,442,711 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by RD5050 View Post

And life goes on.

Don't expect the Health Care Reform bill to be absolutely perfect right out of the box.

It's a huge bill, and there always is the possibility of issues not previously considered by the authors of the bill.

Nobody is perfect.
Well we'll just have to wait and see.
The AMT has never been fixed.
There's a few others that just keep getting "emergencied" right at the last minute or week's after they lapse.

The government does not have a good track record of fixing their mistakes.

Old 04-12-2010, 09:46 PM

41,325 posts, read 44,929,215 times
Quote:
Once again ... it could simply be a "miss" during the development stage.

Someone (a business user) may have forgot to tell the programmer something, like a certain rare type of data that doesn't appear often, and they completely forgot about.

And suddenly you have to go back to modify your logic when your program doesn't know how to handle the unexpected data that suddenly appears 3 months after it is put into production.

And the author of a health care bill (just like a business user) may not have considered every possible real life scenario that the bill is meant to handle.

But once again, this bill just needed to get signed into law now.

The minor mistakes can be corrected on an "as needed" basis when they are discovered.
Oy vey! Must I school you again? I can't think of any "rare type of data" that would suddenly appear that wasn't known beforehand. Most DBMSs cover pretty much......everything. Btw, when gathering documentation on business rules and information about data, one doesn't just go by what an end user tells you.

This is not a "rare" type of coverage in the HC bill. This is the basic framework of the bill.

The cavalier attitude toward "mistakes" that should have been ferreted out months ago is truly alarming.

These kinds of "mistakes" will play well in the fall.

Old 04-12-2010, 09:47 PM

88,971 posts, read 44,780,079 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by HappyTexan View Post
Well we'll just have to wait and see.
The AMT has never been fixed.

...The government does not have a good track record of fixing their mistakes.
Exactly!

Old 04-12-2010, 09:52 PM

69,368 posts, read 64,081,664 times
Quote:
If the Bill has hundreds of mistakes, I would worry.

If it has just a few mistakes ... who really cares?

It's nothing more than nitpicking by the people who opposed the bill.
There have been dozens of mistakes pointed out in the bill, and it hasnt even kicked in yet.

Things like income from trusts being exempt, billions for a civilian "medical emergency force", cuts that arent really cuts, unions obtaining special exemptions for years, surpluses that arent surpluses, and thats just a beginning..

Old 04-12-2010, 09:57 PM

5,319 posts, read 8,981,479 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by sanrene View Post
Oy vey! Must I school you again? I can't think of any "rare type of data" that would suddenly appear that wasn't known beforehand. Most DBMSs cover pretty much......everything. Btw, when gathering documentation on business rules and information about data, one doesn't just go by what an end user tells you.
By "type of data" I was referring to it's value ... not it's data format. Example ... your program is expecting to receive only the letters "A" through "F" in a field X, because that is what business user told you would be received. Your data is shipped to you in a file from an outside source (a 3rd party). Suddenly there is a "G" in this field which needs to be handled. "G" is a rare value that only occurs maybe once a year, but the business user completely forgot about it during the development meetings. But your program needs to handle "G", so you are now modifying your program at the last minute to handle this unexpected value.

Quote:
Originally Posted by sanrene View Post
This is not a "rare" type of coverage in the HC bill. This is the basic framework of the bill.

The cavalier attitude toward "mistakes" that should have been ferreted out months ago is truly alarming.

These kinds of "mistakes" will play well in the fall.
More important than making it perfect, was getting it passed into law.

That was the bigger hurdle to overcome.

Going back and fixing it "after the fact" is the easy part.

Old 04-12-2010, 10:01 PM

2,205 posts, read 2,535,465 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by dcsldcd View Post
It never was a health care bill. It was a payoff bill. That's why they didn't care if they knew how it would effect anyone.
Finally someone nailed the truth.

So was the "Bail Out" So was the "Stimulus Package" Notice how nothing changed after those two deals? They were payoffs to support the HCB, which of course was another payoff. In all of my years, I have never seen such blatant corruption.

Quote:
If ever a time should come, when vain and aspiring men shall possess the highest seats in Government, our country will stand in need of its experienced patriots to prevent its ruin.
Samuel Adams, 1776
It's time for America to take action since they refused to hear our words.

Old 04-12-2010, 10:10 PM

8,624 posts, read 9,085,580 times
Quote:

And life goes on.

Nobody is perfect.

I guess it never occured to you that they could have worked on it until they were sure they got it right when it sure a country changing bill. I guess it never occured to you to ask why are they slamming this through when they have not had time to read it and understand what was in it. I gues it did not make you worry that even hussein obama admited he did not know what was in it.

No sheep never ask questions or wonder why. They just follow the leader off the cliff.

Old 04-12-2010, 10:13 PM

41,325 posts, read 44,929,215 times
Quote:
By "type of data" I was referring to it's value ... not it's data format. Example ... your program is expecting to receive only the letters "A" through "F" in a field X, because that is what business user told you would be received. Your data is shipped to you in a file from an outside source (a 3rd party). Suddenly there is a "G" in this field which needs to be handled. "G" is a rare value that only occurs maybe once a year, but the business user completely forgot about it during the development meetings. But your program needs to handle "G", so you are now modifying your program at the last minute to handle this unexpected value.
Off on another one of your tangential scenarios I see, which are truly hilarious, especially when they have no bearing on the bill passed into law and what obama/reid/pelosi neglected in their rush to ram the bill through.

There are many things unlikely with the above, starting with the notion that if it only occurred once a year, it would be "forgotten". Not how it works, if you are a system design/developer worth your salt.

Old 04-12-2010, 10:40 PM

4,002 posts, read 3,903,605 times
Quote:
Sorry ... but the world isn't perfect.

sanrene .... you work with computers.

Do all programs you write work 100% all the time under all circumstances?

Legal documents aren't any different than computer logic.

A bunch of "IF THIS ... THEN THAT" ... and not everyone will catch every single logic issue the first time around.

That's why amendments are made.

The main thing was getting Health Care Reform signed into law while Obama still had the votes he needed in Congress.

And that is a huge achievement for any president !!!

The minor issues like this one can be worked out at a later time, on an as needed basis.
Yes .. sort of like making up the rules as you go along ... or ... writing a blank check to a total stranger ..

I get it ..
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies