Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-14-2010, 01:04 PM

32,816 posts, read 19,474,193 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by carterstamp View Post
OK, let me spell it out. the pundits have used the mantra 47% pay no taxes.

They do not say why, they use it as an assumption that 47% of Americans are on the dole.

And the sheeple eat it up like puddin'
wrong, wrong and wrong

the 'pundits' have said that 47% pay no FEDERAL INCOME taxes

no one assumes that 47% are on the 'dole'...only you and you know what they say about 'assuming'

the FACT is that many (currently about 47%) pay very little to zero, (and many get back even more) of FEDERAL INCOME tax

if we were to take about ALL taxes....then many pay ATLEAST 50% in taxes

think about it

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-14-2010, 01:05 PM

5,376 posts, read 5,344,692 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jaggy001 View Post
Well, I just wrote 3 different tax checks and I am far from wealthy.
Well, we are well off, and are getting "checks" back from all. So what.

It may not be the system that's at fault.

Old 04-14-2010, 01:06 PM

20,457 posts, read 12,375,634 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by carterstamp View Post
OK, let me spell it out. the pundits have used the mantra 47% pay no taxes.

They do not say why, they use it as an assumption that 47% of Americans are on the dole.

And the sheeple eat it up like puddin'
you dont spell things out well.

the pundits have said that 47% pay no INCOME TAX.

we are all s m r t enough to know that we still pay stuff like social security and sales taxes.

geez.

Old 04-14-2010, 01:11 PM

3,331 posts, read 5,954,506 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by wdavid002 View Post
Yeah..I got killed this year..owed Feds and State..and not anywhere near being rich..in fact way way under the Obama threshold..so I don't believe their b.s....paying for slackers who never applied themselves and had no ambition..probably too busy protesting something to actually get a paying job....and want to live off of my back...can't wait for November...
Same here...though I only owed Federal. Got a refund from the State thankfully. I'm also significantly below the magic $250,000 a year. Ya know, this is the first time I have EVER owed in my 28 years of employment as an adult. Coincidence? Mmmmm...not so much.

Old 04-14-2010, 01:14 PM

31,767 posts, read 28,809,596 times
What is payroll tax based on, if not income tax? Besides, those who think it is important to make a distinction between federal income tax from, say, state income tax, sales tax, payroll tax etc, do you think it is all in the name?

In many ways, federal income taxes are also designed to reduce burden that state and local taxes may impose on individuals (who actually pay a greater portion of local/state taxes). In the end, please do not claim that half of the populace pays no taxes, federal or otherwise. It is either deliberate misrepresentation or something out of sheer ignorance.

Old 04-14-2010, 01:21 PM
GLS

1,985 posts, read 5,378,778 times
I have combined two recent polls to amuse myself when the hysteria dies down.

The first is your thread that 47% of the people pay ZERO income tax.
The second is that 66% of the poll responders said they thought they paid too much tax.

That means 19% of the people paying no income tax think they pay too much. Why don't we move to ZERO % of the people paying ZERO income tax so that 100% of the people will think they pay too much.

At least we would finally agree on something!

Old 04-14-2010, 01:24 PM

19,784 posts, read 15,105,903 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by EinsteinsGhost View Post
What is payroll tax based on, if not income tax? Besides, those who think it is important to make a distinction between federal income tax from, say, state income tax, sales tax, payroll tax etc, do you think it is all in the name?

In many ways, federal income taxes are also designed to reduce burden that state and local taxes may impose on individuals (who actually pay a greater portion of local/state taxes). In the end, please do not claim that half of the populace pays no taxes, federal or otherwise. It is either deliberate misrepresentation or something out of sheer ignorance.

Thanks, you explained it a lot better than I did.

Old 04-14-2010, 01:27 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by GLS View Post
I have combined two recent polls to amuse myself when the hysteria dies down.

The first is your thread that 47% of the people pay ZERO income tax.
The second is that 66% of the poll responders said they thought they paid too much tax.

That means 19% of the people paying no income tax think they pay too much. Why don't we move to ZERO % of the people paying ZERO income tax so that 100% of the people will think they pay too much.

At least we would finally agree on something!

Then the 19% paying nothing who think they pay too much wants the Fed to pay them.

hmmm, that's a good idea.

Old 04-14-2010, 01:33 PM

20,460 posts, read 26,321,953 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by workingclasshero View Post
wrong, wrong and wrong

the 'pundits' have said that 47% pay no FEDERAL INCOME taxes

no one assumes that 47% are on the 'dole'...only you and you know what they say about 'assuming'

the FACT is that many (currently about 47%) pay very little to zero, (and many get back even more) of FEDERAL INCOME tax

if we were to take about ALL taxes....then many pay ATLEAST 50% in taxes

think about it

Really?
None of those "pundits" said "47% pay no taxes" - instead they all said "47% pay no FEDERAL INCOME taxes"?

You might want to rephrase that since here's Hannity saying that very thing ("50 percent of American households no longer pay taxes") on camera with Michael Steele:

Hannity falsely claimed "50 percent of American households no longer pay taxes" | Media Matters for America

How about Michael Savage?:

SAVAGE: Forty-seven percent of families pay no taxes. That's a very, very bad warning sign for what's coming in this country. Those are the families who elected this charlatan.

http://mediamatters.org/research/201004120039 (broken link)

Ken

Last edited by LordBalfor; 04-14-2010 at 02:26 PM..

Old 04-14-2010, 01:35 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by LordBalfor View Post
Really?
None of those "pundits" said "47% pay no taxes" instead they all said "47% pay no FEDERAL INCOME taxes".

You might want to rephrase that since here's Hannity saying that very thing ("50 percent of American households no longer pay taxes") on camera with Michael Steele:

Hannity falsely claimed "50 percent of American households no longer pay taxes" | Media Matters for America

Ken

Thanks, Ken, I was getting tired of repeating myself.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies