Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 04-22-2010, 07:36 AM

17,842 posts, read 14,382,736 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by LuckyGem View Post
You must be having conversations with schizophrenics and psychotics on a regular basis where you can't tell the difference between someone with a mental illness and someone who is sane. Would you sit in the same room with someone having delusions? They have a completely different and wrong view of reality when they're having an episode. They can harm themself or you. If you think 90% of the people diagnosed with a mental illness don't have an illness you could be the one who's crazy.
There are actual chemical changes in the brains of people with mental illness.
I actually agree with you on this.
Quote:
Who's to say that when someone who's transgender convinces him/her self that they're the opposite sex, that it's not because of some hormonal or chemical imbalance or some neurons that are misfiring?
But not this so much. Have you read the studies archineer linked to?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-22-2010, 07:46 AM

Quote:
Leo, the human genome has been mapped. There is no mutation which exists for the LGBT individual.
No researcher ever claimed that there was only ONE gene which affects sexual orientation, or that genetics was the the ONLY cause. Human sexuality is far too complex. However, there is certainly evidence that genetics does play a significant part though, as well as pre-natal hormones in utero.

Mustanski, B. S.; DuPree, M. G.; Nievergelt, C. M.; Bocklandt, S.; Schork, N. J.; Hamer, D. H.
A genomewide scan of male sexual orientation. [Hum Genet. 2005] - PubMed result 116: 272-278, 2005

Quote:
Mustanski concluded that: "There's a converging line of evidence between the hormonal studies, the genetic studies, and the neuroanatomical studies. My research has identified candidate genes within these new chromosomal regions that could link together all of these different findings”

The Causes of Homosexuality (http://isocrat.org/science/causes/causes.php - broken link)

Old 04-22-2010, 07:47 AM

5,412 posts, read 4,239,419 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jaymax View Post
If someone was inclined to express uneducated opinions without any basis in fact, would you just agree with them, or do you suggest they educate themselves and point them towards reputable sources?
How about answer the question instead of a personal attack?

Would you hand a bottle of alcohol to an ancholic, or would you suggest they geat treated for their problem?

If someone has body dismorphic (which transexuals obbiously have) woul you suggest they get plastic surgery, or talk to a shrink?

Will you answer the question or will you come up with new insults for me?

Old 04-22-2010, 07:48 AM

Okay, will you guys at least answer this question:

Is wanting to surgically remove your gentialia, and replace them, or take hormones to make yourself more like the opposite sex, normal or abnormal?

Old 04-22-2010, 07:49 AM

12,980 posts, read 14,562,129 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by 11thHour View Post
Ah yes, Tranny Surprise . One of the great crimes against humanity. A straight guy who knowingly wants to get with a tranny, or chick with a dick isn't straight, despite what they call themselves.
Maybe, but most of the time guys don't even know it's a trans.

When was the last time people visited New Orleans? Many of those pretty working girls down in the Quarter are trans, and all the horny guys from out of town don't seem to care much. It's just a little "lagniappe"!

Old 04-22-2010, 07:54 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by betamanlet View Post
How about answer the question instead of a personal attack?

Would you hand a bottle of alcohol to an ancholic, or would you suggest they geat treated for their problem?

If someone has body dismorphic (which transexuals obbiously have) woul you suggest they get plastic surgery, or talk to a shrink?

Will you answer the question or will you come up with new insults for me?
Why do you think I was necessarily referring to you?

Are you saying that if someone was inclined to express uneducated opinions without any basis in fact, you would just agree with them? Wouldn't you want to point them towards some reputable sources of factual information? Like the links to studies archineer provided?

What do alcoholics have to do with transgender people?

Why do you think transgender people have Body Dysmorphic Disorder? (I assume that's what you meant by "body dismorphic"?)

Do you know what it is?

Body dysmorphic disorder - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

Old 04-22-2010, 08:01 AM

Quote:
Why do you think I was necessarily referring to you?

Are you saying that if someone was inclined to express uneducated opinions without any basis in fact, you would just agree with them? Wouldn't you want to point them towards some reputable sources of factual information? Like the links to studies archineer provided?

What do alcoholics have to do with transgender people?

Why do you think transgender people have Body Dysmorphic Disorder? (I assume that's what you meant by "body dismorphic"?)

Do you know what it is?

Body dysmorphic disorder - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

"Body dysmorphic disorder (BDD) (previously known as Dysmorphophobia[1] is sometimes referred to as body dysmorphia or dysmorphic syndrome[2]) is a (psychological) Somatoform disorder in which the affected person is excessively concerned about and preoccupied by a perceived defect in his or her physical features (body image). "

Maybe in PC La la land obsessing about your nose or boobs is considered body dismorphic but obsessing about your genitalia and wanting to remove them is not

Old 04-22-2010, 08:03 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by betamanlet View Post
Okay, will you guys at least answer this question:

Is wanting to surgically remove your gentialia, and replace them, or take hormones to make yourself more like the opposite sex, normal or abnormal?
I would say that it would be normal for some transgender people, but would be abnormal for someone who isn't transgender.

It wouldn't be "normal" for me or for you, because we are not transgender. But then I don't expect everyone in the world to be like me. Do you?

Old 04-22-2010, 08:05 AM

Quote:
I would say that it would be normal for some transgender people, but would be abnormal for someone who isn't transgender.

So if I asked the question, is it abnormal to be sexually attracted to prepubscents you could reply

well, it's normal for some pedophiles, but not normal for non pedophiles......

Notice how not much is being answered by you?

Old 04-22-2010, 08:20 AM

2,549 posts, read 2,722,648 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by AnUnidentifiedMale View Post
I think it's best to allow individuals to define their own sexual orientation. Human sexuality is too complicated to force everyone into narrowly-defined categories.
Oh no. You are so wrong. We should all listen to the supposed experts on this thread. Somehow in their busy lives, they've become experts on what is normal, the deficiencies in the fields of psychology and psychiatry, sexuality, mental health etc. I am amazed at how well versed they are on these subjects. I can't figure out how. Oh yeah. That's right. We now have the internet and access to all subjects. So we read an article or two and voila! We have the truth.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies