Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-15-2010, 07:39 AM

13,053 posts, read 12,951,643 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by helenejen View Post
Nothing but an assumption on your part and thus of no merit, unless you can claim to have some expertise in this area. If not, you need to support your claims.
I made no assumptions, I simply asked a question concerning the issue and pointed out that which was evident. Please counter me if you disagree. What is it we need to assess? Can you provide any reasoning as to what needs to be established?

You remember the story about the guy who wanted to become a cat? He felt he had more in common with cats than humans. He identified with them and began doing surgeries to make him look more like them.

I assume you also think this is simply a normal condition? That he really is a cat stuck in a humans body?

By all means, please present your case. I would be interested to hear how someone who can not accept their physical identity is anything other than suffering from mental illness.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-15-2010, 07:45 AM

Quote:
That's the definition of sex, not gender:
"Sex refers to biological status as male or female. It includes physical attributes such as sex chromosomes, gonads, sex hormones, internal reproductive structures, and external genitalia. Gender is a term that is often used to refer to ways that people act, interact, or feel about themselves, which are associated with boys/men and girls/women. While aspects of biological sex are the same across different cultures, aspects of gender may not be."
Answers to Your Questions About Transgender Individuals and Gender Identity
So they have physical deficiencies then? What is the imbalance specifically? too much of something physically, not enough? what?

The link you provided states this:

Quote:
Many experts believe that biological factors such as genetic influences and prenatal hormone levels, early experiences in a person’s family of origin, and other social influences can all contribute to the development of transgender behaviors and identities.
So there is no consistent cause. So it could be a physical imbalance or an emotional social influence which creates mental issues. Either way, it is an illness, not something to be glorified. Should it be shunned? No, as with any illness be it physically derived or mentally, we should treat it, but giving it wings and telling it to be free is absurd. These people are sick, they need help and promoting their sickness is not helping them.

Old 04-15-2010, 08:01 AM

5,412 posts, read 4,239,885 times
Would you give a heroin addict heroin, or would you try to treat their addiction?

Why do people enable mentally ill people like those who are gender confused?

If they were racially confused, and wanted plastic surgery to look like another race, would you make all these antidiscrimination laws, and suggest that it's a good thing that they get plastic surgery?

If someone wants plastic surgery so that they look like a Lion, would you suggest they do it, or perhaps seek mental help?

Old 04-15-2010, 08:06 AM

8,299 posts, read 8,606,493 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Nomander View Post
I made no assumptions, I simply asked a question concerning the issue and pointed out that which was evident. Please counter me if you disagree. What is it we need to assess? Can you provide any reasoning as to what needs to be established?
Evident to you, based on your assumptions.

Quote:
What would the research need to prove? That a person who is one thing, but thinks they are another has mental issues? I think this diagnoses is pretty self evident.
Notice that you end with a statement, not a question. And the use of "self evident" points to taken-for-grantedness, which is what an assumption is.

Quote:
You remember the story about the guy who wanted to become a cat? He felt he had more in common with cats than humans. He identified with them and began doing surgeries to make him look more like them.

I assume you also think this is simply a normal condition? That he really is a cat stuck in a humans body?
What does the AMA or APA consider his condition? Seems definitely odd to me because how would 'catness' possibly be hardwired in a human. In the case of transgenderism, it's limited to issues of human sexuality and gender, so hardly the same thing as wanting to become a cat.

Quote:
By all means, please present your case. I would be interested to hear how someone who can not accept their physical identity is anything other than suffering from mental illness.
"Is being transgender a mental disorder?A psychological condition is considered a mental disorder only if it causes distress or disability. Many transgender people do not experience their transgender feelings and traits to be distressing or disabling, which implies that being transgender does not constitute a mental disorder per se. For these people, the significant problem is finding the resources, such as hormone treatment, surgery, and the social support they need, in order to express their gender identity and minimize discrimination."

The APA goes on to talk about transgendered people who do have distress or disability and the controversial diagnosis of "gender dysphoria." But transgenderism is not in itself a mental disorder or illness.

Old 04-15-2010, 08:08 AM

Quote:

Notice that you end with a statement, not a question. And the use of "self evident" points to taken-for-grantedness, which is what an assumption is.

What does the AMA or APA consider his condition? Seems definitely odd to me because how would 'catness' possibly be hardwired in a human. In the case of transgenderism, it's limited to issues of human sexuality and gender, so hardly the same thing as wanting to become a cat.

"Is being transgender a mental disorder?A psychological condition is considered a mental disorder only if it causes distress or disability. Many transgender people do not experience their transgender feelings and traits to be distressing or disabling, which implies that being transgender does not constitute a mental disorder per se. For these people, the significant problem is finding the resources, such as hormone treatment, surgery, and the social support they need, in order to express their gender identity and minimize discrimination."

The APA goes on to talk about transgendered people who do have distress or disability and the controversial diagnosis of "gender dysphoria." But transgenderism is not in itself a mental disorder or illness.

Because of political correctness.

If I thought I should be a dolphin, and had surgery to give me a fin, and a bottle nose,w ould you think I'm mentally ill? I'm a human, not a dolphin.

If you are born with a penis. you are a male.

If you are born with a vagina, you are a female.

if you cannot accept that, you have mental problems that should be treated, not enabled.

Old 04-15-2010, 08:22 AM

1,476 posts, read 2,024,949 times
Quote:
So they have physical deficiencies then? What is the imbalance specifically? too much of something physically, not enough? what?

The link you provided states this:

So there is no consistent cause. So it could be a physical imbalance or an emotional social influence which creates mental issues. Either way, it is an illness, not something to be glorified. Should it be shunned? No, as with any illness be it physically derived or mentally, we should treat it, but giving it wings and telling it to be free is absurd. These people are sick, they need help and promoting their sickness is not helping them.
You make very good points. We need to help these people; not try and normalize this condition, which is what the current PC police are trying to do. Just look at the new guidelines/laws requiring schools and public offices to make the girls bathrooms available to boys who think they are girls. This is not right. What if a child "thinks" they are a teacher, should they be allowed to use the teacher's bathroom? We need to help these people not enable them.

Old 04-15-2010, 08:24 AM

Quote:

It is evident, you have to stretch to claim it isn't. A person who is a man who thinks they are woman. Now your article uses all types of possible causation to this be it a genetic, chemical, or social. All are imbalances, arguing that it is not is just being silly. They are abnormal in their thought process which may or may not be due physical/chemical imbalance. It is evident they are imbalanced, they are ill in their thought process regardless of the cause.

Quote:
The thought process is the same. The mental illness is the same. A person is one thing, but believes they are another. Sorry, no way around this. It is relevant.

Quote:

They seem pretty distressed to me? They can not function in society due to their abnormality. As a previous poster mentioned, all that is being done is applying fancy terms and word stepping to avoid dealing with the reality of the issue.

This is why psychology is not a science. It deals in fluff and never is truly able to substantiate its positions. Its guess after guess to habits and behaviors but honestly has no clue as to factual assessment. So please excuse me if I do not bow down to the APA.

The issues are evident in behavior, the cause can be discussed, but to claim this is normal and not a form of illness is simply absurd. these people are sick and need help, not encouragement of their derangement.

Old 04-15-2010, 08:24 AM

8,299 posts, read 8,606,493 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by betamanlet View Post
Because of political correctness.

If I thought I should be a dolphin, and had surgery to give me a fin, and a bottle nose,w ould you think I'm mentally ill? I'm a human, not a dolphin.
And transgenderism is about HUMAN sexuality and HUMAN genders, so, once again, bad comparison.

Quote:
If you are born with a penis. you are a male.

If you are born with a vagina, you are a female.
It's chromosomes that determine biological maleness and femaleness. If you want to make a decent argument, go with the chromosome issue for god's sake. It will also keep me from throwing agenesis back at you for a retort.

Quote:
if you cannot accept that, you have mental problems that should be treated, not enabled.
Sorry, but I'll take the APA's current research over your fear-mongering.

Old 04-15-2010, 08:27 AM

Quote:
And transgenderism is about HUMAN sexuality and HUMAN genders, so, once again, bad comparison.

It's chromosomes that determine biological maleness and femaleness. If you want to make a decent argument, go with the chromosome issue for god's sake. It will also keep me from throwing agenesis back at you for a retort.

Sorry, but I'll take the APA's current research over your fear-mongering.

There are humans that have sex with non humans. There are websites devoted to how to have sex with dolphins, etc.. Are you suggesting that because it deals with sexuality, it cannot be mental illness?

Do you think someone who has sex with dolphins is mentally ill or not?

Should they get treated for their mentall illness, or should we encourage them to have sex with dolphins? (mind you, dolphins cannot consent)..

Fear mongering? Suggesting someone get treatment for mental illness is fear mongering? if someone were suicidal and I suggested they see a psychiatrist, or psychologist, that would be fear mongering?

You PC are absolutely frightened of the truth.

Gender issues are mental illness. They should be treated, not enabled.

Old 04-15-2010, 06:43 PM

1,476 posts, read 2,024,949 times
Quote:
There are humans that have sex with non humans. There are websites devoted to how to have sex with dolphins, etc.. Are you suggesting that because it deals with sexuality, it cannot be mental illness?

Do you think someone who has sex with dolphins is mentally ill or not?

Should they get treated for their mentall illness, or should we encourage them to have sex with dolphins? (mind you, dolphins cannot consent)..

Fear mongering? Suggesting someone get treatment for mental illness is fear mongering? if someone were suicidal and I suggested they see a psychiatrist, or psychologist, that would be fear mongering?

You PC are absolutely frightened of the truth.

Gender issues are mental illness. They should be treated, not enabled.
This is so true and well stated. Reps to you.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies