Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-14-2010, 07:33 PM

31,387 posts, read 37,045,063 times

Advertisements

I'm trying to get a hold on what appears to me to be two completely contradictory sentiments running through the conservative movements. On one hand there is this tremendous and traditional support for unfettered capitalism while at the same time demonstrating anger over the disproportionate influence of large corporations on the body politic. It would be my contention that it should be fairly apparent that the latter is an unavoidable product of the former, I am puzzled by this state of conservative angst.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-14-2010, 07:37 PM

20,948 posts, read 19,049,136 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ovcatto View Post
I'm trying to get a hold on what appears to me to be two completely contradictory sentiments running through the conservative movements. On one hand there is this tremendous and traditional support for unfettered capitalism while at the same time demonstrating anger over the disproportionate influence of large corporations on the body politic. It would be my contention that it should be fairly apparent that the latter is an unavoidable product of the former, I am puzzled by this state of conservative angst.
I am puzzled by your puzzlement.

Why is it a contradiction to believe in capitalism while not liking the extreme influence by corporations on our politicians? (both left and right)

Old 04-14-2010, 07:57 PM

31,387 posts, read 37,045,063 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by alphamale View Post
I am puzzled by your puzzlement.

Why is it a contradiction to believe in capitalism while not liking the extreme influence by corporations on our politicians? (both left and right)
Because one is a natural product of the other. Unfettered capitalism naturally leads to high concentrations of wealth, high concentrations of wealth lead to disproportionate power in the hands of those who control such wealth. It was true in 18th Century, was absolutely true in the latter part of the 19th Century so I am confused as to why the astonishment now after such a long period of deregulation?

Old 04-14-2010, 08:00 PM

18,358 posts, read 26,493,154 times
Jefferson was pro-free market and anti-corporation. It's not exactly a contradiction.

Old 04-14-2010, 08:14 PM

9,984 posts, read 10,391,755 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by arctichomesteader View Post
Jefferson was pro-free market and anti-corporation. It's not exactly a contradiction.
Jefferson was also a product of his time. His idea of the ideal society was based on Yeoman farmers making up the majority of the population which is something that does not, and really cannot exist in America anymore.

Old 04-14-2010, 08:16 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Randomstudent View Post
Jefferson was also a product of his time. His idea of the ideal society was based on Yeoman farmers making up the majority of the population which is something that does not, and really cannot exist in America anymore.
Most of the country is still rural, though not the population. Jefferson saw firsthand what big corporations, banks, etc., did to people in Europe.

In any case, corporations are not necessary for capitalism. Arguably, having more, smaller, businesses, is more in line with what capitalism was intended to be, than these big corporations we have today.

Old 04-14-2010, 08:23 PM

Quote:
Most of the country is still rural, though not the population. Jefferson saw firsthand what big corporations, banks, etc., did to people in Europe.

In any case, corporations are not necessary for capitalism. Arguably, having more, smaller, businesses, is more in line with what capitalism was intended to be, than these big corporations we have today.
The thing about free markets without regulation is that while a system may start out as many small businesses it will not stay that way. At first, through competition, stronger businesses will at first weed out weaker ones through market efficiency, which is positive. After a while however the stronger businesses will start practicing vertical and horizontal integration which will lead to big corporations and market inefficiency. The rewards that come from destroying the competition and salting the proverbial fields is the central flaw in unfettered free markets.

Old 04-14-2010, 08:27 PM

Quote:
The thing about free markets without regulation is that while a system may start out as many small businesses it will not stay that way. At first, through competition, stronger businesses will at first weed out weaker ones through market efficiency, which is positive. After a while however the stronger businesses will start practicing vertical and horizontal integration which will lead to big corporations and market inefficiency. The rewards that come from destroying the competition and salting the proverbial fields is the central flaw in unfettered free markets.
Simply take corporations out of the equation.

Old 04-14-2010, 08:32 PM

Quote:
Simply take corporations out of the equation.
Almost all small and large businesses are corporations. Sole proprietorship, and partnerships with limitless liabilities are very, very rare.

Old 04-14-2010, 08:33 PM

Quote:
Almost all small and large businesses are corporations. Sole proprietorship, and partnerships with limitless liabilities are very, very rare.
Well, what I'm saying: eliminate corporations.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies