Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 06-09-2010, 03:27 PM

3,175 posts, read 3,655,617 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by JetJockey View Post
Most women know exactly what they're going through when they decide to get an abortion. My best friend had one a few years back and she absolutely knew what was going to happen and how it was going to be done.

Does she still think about it? Absolutely.
Does she regret it? Not one bit.

You aren't giving women a lot of credit, you know. You're assuming they're all stupid and are walking into an abortion clinic having no idea what's going to happen. Then, of course, you get all the awesome people yelling at them and showing them blown up pictures of 'aborted fetuses' and telling them they're going to hell for what they're about to do.

Let women make up their own minds, we're not as stupid as you might think we are.
You are a very bad example for the young girls growing up in this world.
If that is what you choose, you live with it but don't say everything is A-Okay though.
Somewhere down the road you are going to "see the light" and that is going to be sad. Maybe on your death bed but it's going to happen.
Quit being a cheerleader for ending a babies life and teaching others to do it too.
I'm out of this discussion because all it causes is anger over how far we have fallen.
How about that oil spill?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-09-2010, 03:33 PM

19,112 posts, read 30,628,399 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mag32gie View Post
If that is what you choose, you live with it but don't say everything is A-Okay though.
Somewhere down the road you are going to "see the light" and that is going to be sad. Maybe on your death bed but it's going to happen.
Quit being a cheerleader for ending a babies life and teaching others to do it too.
I'm out of this discussion because all it causes is anger over how far we have fallen.

I never said everything is 'A-ok'. I am also not being a cheerleader for ending a 'babies' life, I am a cheerleader for women's rights and the fact that I think women are smart enough to make their own decisions.

Fallen? Seeing the Light? Ah, I get where you're going with this...and I hope you realize how arrogant you sound with the 'all knees shall bow' crap.

I haven't taught anyone to do anything, but I have almost gotten in a fight with a 'pro life activist' at a Planned Parenthood because I was taking my younger brothers girlfriend in for her first Pap Smear and gyno appointment. I guess that's 'irresponsible' as well.

How about the oil spill? Me, and 6 of my coworkers are flying down there on Friday to help out over the weekend. I'm going to be doing some HazMat work in the area to help out.

Old 06-09-2010, 03:35 PM

2,966 posts, read 3,916,504 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by betamanlet View Post
Easier to kill something if you dont' consider it human. That's what the nazis did with jews, and how whites justified slavery, or not giving blacks rights, because they didn't consider them to be human beings.

I'm curious, is that "embryo" you are "removing" a human or a chicken embryo?
Websters dictionary doesn't consider it a human or child, so why do you?

Old 06-09-2010, 03:36 PM

5,412 posts, read 4,239,885 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by hothulamaui View Post
abortion is legal. women do obey the laws, what are you talking about not obey law for??? yes there are three choices, that is what it is about choice
So then how do you know women will have dangerous illegal abortions if abortion is outlawed? geee, I dunno, maybe because women were disobeying the law prior to 1973?

Or do you only predict they will disobey the law in the future if abortion is outlawed?

Old 06-09-2010, 03:36 PM

16,225 posts, read 27,431,396 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mag32gie View Post
If you can't take the heat, get out of the kitchen. Don't tell the kitchen staff to close the restaurant or start selling newspapers instead.

In order to effectively debate this subject, you really need to stop applying your personal moral code to everyone else. I thought JetJockey's post was well written and made a good point. Chastizing her with your indignation is really uncalled for and just hilights the fact that you are using emotion instead of rationale and fact in this debate. You may or may not like the fact that women who've had abortions are MORE THAN A-Okay with it, but that doesn't mean that they have to "see the light" because you want them to believe as you believe, and see this issue as you see it.

Old 06-09-2010, 03:42 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by strawflower View Post
is it or is it not your offspring?

Since when has Webster's dictionary been the ultimate decisionmaker?

Old 06-09-2010, 03:42 PM

3,197 posts, read 2,852,975 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by hothulamaui View Post
again joh you need to do a bit more reading about biology there are little swimmers that escape before ejaculation that can get a woman pregnant. this is why it is a joke to think it is a viable BC.

(btw you can call me John if you want thats what the Joh in my username means its just a little weird reading Joh xD ok onto the response)

These little swimmers you are referring to I am going to assume it is Pre-*** that you are referring to. If that is the case, that isn't actually sperm. It is a lubrication that comes before the actual sperm to prepare the Urethra for the actual sperm. I know many women read this magazine so i'll use this as my source (if it is not acceptable i'll do my best to find another, its just the first I found and this is basic knowledge for me).
Sex Advice - Love Advice - Cosmopolitan.com (http://www.cosmopolitan.com/sex-love/advice/pre-*** - broken link)
As it states it can cause you to become pregnant but not directly only by possibly releasing sperm left over in the Urethra and then have those "left-overs" travel up to the egg.

If this is not what you were referring to please inform me what I am missing so we can have a conversation about it if there is one to be had.

if you really think people can abstain then why is it that most who practice this are in fact truly sexually active just not going "all the way" if you can't truly abstain or see any reason not to have sex at all, even minus the penetration then I would say you at least have some understanding of why it is unreasonable to think that most people would just give up sex. talking about abstaining and still engaged in forms of sex that get you off is hypocritical at best. try really abstaining

While I completely agree that it is hypocritical to say you are abstaining but only just not going all the way, at least they are not. That is really the main idea behind abstaining to prevent pregnancy by going all the way. Also I understand that it is like playing with fire if you are fooling around but not going all the way but if couples can manage it, as hypocritical as it may be, it works to prevent pregnancy which is the main thing.

now you don't make any rational sense, people take BC because they don't want children or are not financially able to care for a child. how could they be happy to find themselves in a position of having a child when they were not ready in any way?

Maybe not happy but, they could get welfare, help from family, have money saved up, something, we should be teaching this, that you have to always have some sort of plan B that does not involve abortion (for reasons I have already stated numerous times in previous posts).

you obviously have never been a parent to be able to causally say a woman should just give up her child for adoption.

Nope I haven't, and if I said it casually I apologize, but if you cause yourself to get pregnant and can't raise the baby you have to make the decision as to wether or not you put the baby up for adoption. I have many friends who are parents, are young, and have had to put babies up for adoption, i'm sure it wasn't easy but they are continuing their lives. I even know a few friends who put their baby up for adoption and still sees her baby quite a few times a year (one of them lives out of state and comes back to see her child 4 times a year for a week). Sexual intercourse is something people have to stop taking so lightly.

Old 06-09-2010, 03:47 PM

So it comes down to this, women can pick and choose what laws they want to obey depending upon when it's legal or illegal?

Old 06-09-2010, 03:52 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by strawflower View Post
I'll actually take a page from the pro-choice play book here and show why its faulty and then explain what it is ( I suppose O_o).

When a baby, embryo, thing or whatever you want to call it lives in the mom it is a PARASITE and many pro-choicers use this term to try and like something that is evil and needs to go (I know this because they then go on to describe it as a cancer cell living off the body which obviously is an evil thing). The Problem with this argument (albeit true), the way the pro-choicers use it (evil) is that the baby is technically a parasite until its cord is cut, so they could use the same justification if they wanted to abort 3 term. The reason it is a parasite is because a parasite is some organism that relies on and lives off of another organism. I don't know just a little food for thought I suppose.

Quote:
is it or is it not your offspring?

Since when has Webster's dictionary been the ultimate decisionmaker?
The reason Webster's Dictionary is the "ultimate decision maker", is because I said earlier I thought we should take our definitions from a well known, unbiased (as far as I know) dictionary.

Old 06-09-2010, 03:54 PM

Quote:
So it comes down to this, women can pick and choose what laws they want to obey depending upon when it's legal or illegal?
So no one gets confused I believe betamanlet is saying this because if abortion is made illegal, everyone is saying that women will go and do it anyway (back alley abortions, etc) in turn saying women choose which laws they obey.

Correct me if i'm wrong betamanlet.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies