Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-16-2010, 10:09 AM

24,620 posts, read 28,282,339 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by betamanlet View Post
Ever think she went to the media to get the attention?

You think journalists randomly knock on doors and ask if people have a story they'd like to share?
My comments stand.
Weren't you looking for a story to support your agenda?
What's the difference?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-16-2010, 10:12 AM

3,857 posts, read 6,957,786 times
Life is full of choices and you rarely hear the door close behind you until it's too late. What if I had turned left instead of right, dated Karen instead of Janice, taken job x instead of job y. Sarah doesn't believe that she made an immoral choice in having an abortion, or have regrets about the killing. As the OP said - for Sarah having or not having an abortion "is-all-about-me".

Both she and her ex-boyfriend should move on with their lives. There is something wrong with a married father carrying on a secret email exchange with an old girlfriend. I suspect he's disappointed with his very-married-sex-life and (likely incorrectly) thinks that if he'd stayed with Sarah he'd still be having wild-college-monkey-sex.

Old 04-18-2010, 10:02 AM

5,412 posts, read 4,239,885 times
Default Read this article about abortion and the comments

women apparently now "fall pregnant", and apparently have absolutely ZERO responsibiilty for their actions, because they fall pregnant, hence are a victim.

At 19, Sarah had an abortion. Now 38 and childless, an email from the baby's father has made her question her whole life | Mail Online (http://www.dailymail.co.uk/femail/article-1266367/At-19-Sarah-abortion-Now-38-childless-email-babys-father-question-life.html - broken link)

Old 04-18-2010, 10:10 AM

9,763 posts, read 10,527,281 times
Yeah, I agree the term "fell pregnant" is unusual, but I don't see what your point is. Fell pregnant, got pregnant, became pregnant, got knocked-up...what's the big deal?

Old 04-18-2010, 10:13 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by nvxplorer View Post
Yeah, I agree the term "fell pregnant" is unusual, but I don't see what your point is. Fell pregnant, got pregnant, became pregnant, got knocked-up...what's the big deal?
It's passive voice, which is used to avoid accountability/responsibility.

You don't suddenly get pregnant, unless you're raped. Were these women raped? Did are these Jesus's siblings that were immaculately concencieved?

The fact they're using the term "fell" pregnant is to avoid responsibility for her own actions.

Old 04-18-2010, 10:17 AM

3,219 posts, read 6,582,000 times
Quote:

You don't suddenly get pregnant, unless you're raped. Were these women raped? Did are these Jesus's siblings that were immaculately concencieved?

The fact they're using the term "fell" pregnant is to avoid responsibility for her own actions.
She's really saying: "I'm the victim, I'm the victim, I'm the victim darn it!"

Old 04-18-2010, 10:19 AM

Quote:

You're joking, right?

Read what follows "I was 19 when I fell pregnant," and hopefully you'll understand her usage of the term. It has nothing to do with shirking responsibility.

Old 04-18-2010, 10:25 AM

Quote:
You're joking, right?

Read what follows "I was 19 when I fell pregnant," and hopefully you'll understand her usage of the term. It has nothing to do with shirking responsibility.
so if she were raped, why didn't she say rape?

Old 04-18-2010, 10:30 AM

Quote:
so if she were raped, why didn't she say rape?
Raped? Did you read your own article? I'm thinking, no. Do you know what an accidental pregnancy is?

Old 04-18-2010, 10:32 AM

Quote:
Raped? Did you read your own article? I'm thinking, no. Do you know what an accidental pregnancy is?
Accidental sex as well? I don't know what sex education is like in the UK, but when I was 19, I certainly didn't still believe that babies came from storks being delivered on a blue moon.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies