Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 06-10-2010, 03:11 PM

3,197 posts, read 2,852,975 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by DontH8Me View Post
You are apparently operating under the misconception that I or anyone else for that matter, cares what you think or feel about me or anyone else. This may come as a shock to you but no one really cares what you think of them, and no one really cares what your beliefs are against abortion. Especially not the Supreme Court.

The comments you string together about "careless", "inconvenient", "killing", "entitlement" make you appear intellectually inferior. An intelligent person would not make assumptions and generalizations and then apply them to anonymous people who you don't even know. You keep trying to tailor a badge of some sort to pin on those of us who are happy that we have the right over our own bodies, and not you.

Abortion rules. Deal.
An intelligent person would not say something is never going to happen, because unless you have seen until the end of time and are in god's mind you don't know what could possibly happen. See your post 295. Thats all I have to say.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-10-2010, 03:16 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by strawflower View Post
Not to turn this into a homosexual vs. straight argument, but did you choose to be straight? By your logic, everyone chooses their sexual orientation then.
Yep I did choose to be straight, I was raised that way but if I didn't want to be straight I would choose to be with another man. Yep everyone does choose their sexual orientation, I'm glad we understand each other. If you don't agree with me, I would be interested in you explaining how someone who was in a gay relationship at one point in their life, how they can choose to be straight later in life, I know people who have changed their mind like that.

Old 06-10-2010, 03:19 PM

8,346 posts, read 7,044,020 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by JohKnip View Post
Yep I did choose to be straight, I was raised that way but if I didn't want to be straight I would choose to be with another man. Yep everyone does choose their sexual orientation, I'm glad we understand each other. If you don't agree with me, I would be interested in you explaining how someone who was in a gay relationship at one point in their life, how they can choose to be straight later in life, I know people who have changed their mind like that.
The people in the latter position most logically are actually bisexual. Oftentimes, when an honest-to-god gay person "switches" sexuality, they end up being mentally scarred or just overall depressed.

I know both my wife and I are bisexual. We don't choose to be that way, we're both just attracted to anything that's beautiful, regardless of gender.

Old 06-10-2010, 03:20 PM

2,966 posts, read 3,916,504 times
Quote:
They don't..

Old 06-10-2010, 03:25 PM

19,112 posts, read 30,628,399 times
Quote:
Exactly, i'd say the system is broken in more ways that one. Now if I may assume you are pro-choice, do you protest or write to your local representatives about this law, because it clearly (at least to me) infringes on a woman's choice as to whether or not she wants her tubes tied. I'm just trying to look at it from you perspective, i'm assuming that most pro-choicers would be in the street protesting if abortion was made illegal but when it comes to other choices being denied all we get is a "oh its counterproductive" and . Just trying to understand your position on this.
I don't believe there is a 'law' against it, it's just very difficult to find a surgeon who will perform it due to their concerns that you might 'change your mind'. Getting a tubal ligation reversed can be dangerous, and only has about a 50% chance of working....it can also cost upwards of $10,000 or more, which is rarely covered by insurance. It also increases your chances of having a ectopic pregnancy.

I have had multiple surgeries myself, some with bad complications so getting a tubal is not something one should go into lightly.

Yes, I am pro choice. I cannot assume to know every woman's situation and the choices they make. What is good for me may not be good for the woman sitting next to me and I'm not so arrogant that I presume I can make her choice better than she can.

Old 06-10-2010, 03:26 PM

16,225 posts, read 27,431,396 times
Quote:
Not if certain people have anything to say about it, if you don't like talking about it then don't talk about it, but there are people who won't just stand by and let things happen when they don't want them to happen, they debate those things and try and get them changed, that is what is great about america.

As for the personal attack calling me an imbecile, thanks but no thanks. If you don't want to have a civil conversation without name calling and personal attacks i'm sure the mods will have some words for you, but as for you point in that small paragraph, Sexual orientation is a choice. Unless you think its genetic? If it is genetic, I have a question for you, why are some people born straight and go gay or become gay and go straight, wouldn't that be against their genetic code? Also if it is genetic, and both parents were straight, where exactly did this "gay" "straight" gene come from? These questions are of course only applicable if you believe that its genetic and that is why you are saying it isn't a choice. If that isn't the reason that people don't have a choice in their sexual orientation, I'd be interested in knowing what keeps people from having this CHOICE?
"Certain people" can say all they want - but the rational people will always outnumber them, so the right to choose is here to stay. The day it is gone is the same day Sharia law is adopted in the US. And I ain't wearing no burkha or chador.

Your flippant remark about "going lesbian" was far more offensive than the word imbecile. You are squawking about wanting a civil conversation and yet you are entirely ignorant of homosexuality. Read up on it before you make such a thoughtless and rude comment, please.

Quote:
First off, can we refrain from the name calling and keep this a civil conversation. Calling people buttercup is disrespectful and unnecessary, and i'm sure you wouldn't like it much if people called you baby, or sweetie on here, its quite degrading.

As for the not being able to change history, you know what, i'm sure thats what the people who were against equal rights for blacks said back then, history changes and you can't see into the future so saying never is unwise. The reason we are having this debate is because for people who don't agree with abortion we get to say why we think it should be out lawed and let that be our opinion if you don't care for it, or don't want to be part of the discussion no one is keeping you here, so you may come and go whenever you please.
Suck it up buttercup is a commonly used expression, not "name calling". It came into use because it rhymes. I don't particularly care what you call me - have at it.

You and the people like you who would outlaw abortion are the minority. And that isn't going to change. What you are rooting for is not progression, it is regression. We are not going back to the dark ages to appease the few fringe radicals who wish to oppress the rest of us. And for you to think that you are in a position to grant me permission to discuss this subject just points to the possibility that you suffer from delusions of grandeur.

Old 06-10-2010, 03:28 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Langlen View Post
Yeah, my wife dying if she didn't have the abortion, and the baby wouldn't have lived anyways. That would've been a huge inconvenience all right.

The first childbirth already almost killed my wife. She literally almost died on the table. The doctor told her right hten and there that she would not be able to live through another one.

That's why I had no problems whatsoever with the abortion that she had.
You just touched on my second reason that abortion should be illegal except when:

1. It involves rape (i've already explained why in this thread search for it if you so choose to)

AND

2. If the parasite (omg a prolifer just called it a parasite, thats because I know what a parasite is, something that requires a host to live off of, its not a horrible thing) begins to physically kill the woman. The woman should not have to face the punishment of death (REALLY O_O this is coming from a pro-lifer ) if she gets pregnant and cannot complete the 9 months.

Old 06-10-2010, 03:32 PM

16,225 posts, read 27,431,396 times
Quote:
An intelligent person would not say something is never going to happen, because unless you have seen until the end of time and are in god's mind you don't know what could possibly happen. See your post 295. Thats all I have to say.
God's mind? Look, John, this is not a theocracy. Stop trying to force your religion on others. If you like the concept of a theocracy, there are some other countries that would embrace your M.O.

You and your fellow radicals can believe that some day the US will disallow women the right to choose. It is about as worthwhile as believing that cows jump over the moon, the sandman goes flying from rooftop to rooftop, and the moon is made of Swiss cheese. This is America - we are free to believe whatever we want to.

But we don't get to tell other people what they are supposed to believe.

Old 06-10-2010, 03:35 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by strawflower View Post
They don't..
So those people I know who used to be with men but are now with women, are figments of my imagination? That woman they are with now really isn't a woman? They do sorry to tell ya.

Old 06-10-2010, 03:39 PM

18,381 posts, read 19,020,549 times
Quote:
So those people I know who used to be with men but are now with women, are figments of my imagination? That woman they are with now really isn't a woman? They do sorry to tell ya.
sometimes people also give in to social pressures to conform even if it isn't something they really feel in their heart. you are mention god an awful lot for some one who says they are agnostic.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies