Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-18-2010, 10:21 AM

3,084 posts, read 5,237,943 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by old_cold View Post
Funny so many of yu are criticizing the dad for what you deem the 'torture' part of it yet many many posts about sexual abuse of children bring constant comments suggesting just exactly that
(this is not a comment depending on whether or not the little girl was or was not, in this case)
That's the problem. I think a lot of those comments reflect a deep-seated irrational rage among people when it comes to crimes like this. The father merely carried out what was already in him. I don't think anyone (including myself) who criticizes his actions actually condones savage vengeance in a case like this, especially when the alleged perp is your own damn child as well!

Now had the three year old been brutally raped and left for dead by a stranger a la "A Time to Kill", then I think most of us would agree with the father's actions because most of us would see ourselves carrying them out as well, even though in the end we would still be accountable to the law.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-18-2010, 10:40 AM

894 posts, read 1,127,046 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MrSykes View Post
Just makes this whole thing all the more tragic. There are no winners in this saga.
Agree.

Old 04-18-2010, 10:51 AM

4,272 posts, read 3,787,082 times
Two things in this story that point out the problem with vigilante justice. And I am basing my opinions strictly on the facts of the article "Judge Slams Door on Killer Dad".

First, the father heard (thought, believed) that his son admitted to inappropriate SEX with the 3-year old girl. Other family members witness the boy admitting to inappropriate TOUCHING. That's a difference which many people conflate into one, although the story doesn't detail the extent of the touching or how long it went on. That the mother called the father tells me she was looking for some discipline for her son; or maybe even to get her son out of the house. Did the mother think it not serious enough to call the authorities?

Second, the boy confessed his transgressions. What the basis of the confession was, I don't know. Did he admit his wrong-doing because he was caught; or because he felt guilty? The story doesn't detail that either. If I were on a jury at this boy's trial, a non-coerced, heartfelt confession would be very meaningful to me.

However, the vigilanteism carried out in this case did not consider any of the questions and incongruities that even a short, vague story brought up, and a court of law would expose. The father certainly deserved the sentence he received, but did the boy deserve his? Considering the facts of the article, I don't know.

Old 04-18-2010, 12:28 PM

3,734 posts, read 5,770,556 times
"Humping on her" sounds like something the kid would have seen on BET. My guess is there was nothing sexual about it, and he just thought it was funny and naughty. Have you seen how some people dance, these days? Ever seen a 'Booty-Poppin' video? I suspect this is the context, and not what the "Dad" was imagining. I recall seeing a youtube video of an inner-city kindergarten class dancing in a way that could be described in the way that the Boy's behavior was described.

I suspect the "Dad" was in an 'altered state of consciousness' (seen his arraignment photos? ), and was unable to rationally process what he heard from the Mother. He jumped to a conclusion...one that conveniently meshed with a torture/sexual humiliation/murder fantasy he suddenly had a "good excuse" to make real.

Once I was talking to the head of our office's cleaning crew about some rather minor crime. That started him talking about what he thought should happen to the perps. It involved a long and seriously sick torture/humiliation/murder scenario....which, considering the way the janitor was relaying it, led me to believe that a lot of "church-going" men of that demographic sit around sharing their violent fantasies with one another (fantasies rendered respectable by the criminal acts for which they would supposedly be retribution). I would add that our janitor, outwardly such a respectable "family man" and church deacon, had beaten his own wife so severely, on so many occasions, that most of her teeth were gone, her jaw was wired together, and she had a steel plate in her skull.

So, I can imagine Big Jamar, sitting around with the other "respectable family men", smoking blunts and talking about what they would do to "the criminals", if they got the chance. Then....suddenly....here was the chance. In what I'm guessing was his drug-addled mind, he thought he was going to be a hero. The fact that his son had been doing nothing more than 'dirty dancing' in an inappropriate way with his baby sister was less relevant to Big Jamar than was the chance to live out his retribution fantasies, and be "a hero" to his largely-imagined peer group.

Last edited by GrandviewGloria; 04-18-2010 at 12:36 PM.. Reason: typo

Old 04-18-2010, 01:15 PM

1,928 posts, read 3,644,576 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by JerseyG View Post
Yep!

If you want to kill someone, kill 'em. The "father" tortured the kid. Didn't even have a screwed up legal system to blame for his actions. Speaks volumes about the "father" and his ability to deal with hard issues in an appropriate manner.
I can see him losing it and killing the kid "accidentally" but to torture and then execute him? WTH. While what the boy did was horrible, imagine what was going through his mind kneeling there with a gun to his head pointed at him by his own father. The kid deserved prison not death. I hope the father never gets out. And I hope he gets what he deserves in prison.

Old 01-17-2013, 09:05 AM

7,357 posts, read 11,758,516 times
His attorney, Corbett O'Meara, said in the papoers he was going with an insanity defense. That suggests he either had NOTHING else to work with, or he really believed the guy was insane.

Old 01-17-2013, 09:18 AM

7,357 posts, read 11,758,516 times
A Detroit area father who shot his 15-year-old son to death after the teen admitted molesting his 3-year-old sister, has received 37 to 82 years in prison « event horizontal

Here's a working link to get you to the story. I think it's just what the guy said: he went into a towering rage and killed the kid. Remember the prosecutor who was questioning a defendant on the stand about molesting his daughter? All of a sudden she found herself across the room with her hands around his neck. Aftyer being ordered into therapy she learned for the first time that SHE had been sexually assaulted by HER father.

Old 01-17-2013, 10:07 AM

33,571 posts, read 18,154,780 times
Look at tv and see why the kids have sex on their minds. It is disgusting what the young kids see on tv today. MTV and shows that talk about sex all the time.

One never knows what will come on tv today . There is no censorship for the children . Society and the progressives have slowly taken their disgusting humor and degrading talk to the extreme and fill the kids minds for years on this garbage . Is it any wonder why kids act out because they have no self control , because they are not taught self control with no decent programming today. God help us as we progress to degradation of the childrens minds.

Old 01-17-2013, 10:09 AM

11,449 posts, read 14,464,213 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Taratova View Post
There is no censorship for the children .
Sure there are: Parents.

We should not have to bubble wrap our society for those who aren't capable of effectively raising their children.

Old 01-17-2013, 10:16 AM

33,571 posts, read 18,154,780 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by SLCPUNK View Post
Sure there are: Parents.

We should not have to bubble wrap our society for those who aren't capable of effectively raising their children.
Sure , are you with your kids 24 /7? Good luck keeping kids from seeing the garbage everywhere.

One has to throw out their tv, forbid them to go over to their friends who probably has a tv and home school them.

I know such kids who are shielded but there are few.

The rest are like this kid who was out of control and his father killed him.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies