Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-16-2010, 12:31 PM

10,655 posts, read 18,662,054 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by pghquest View Post
Ahh.. Thanks for the correction.

But really, the Library of Congress. Why are they archiving twitters? Are they going to archive your GPS locations, your police records, your emails, what you've bought on ebay?

I mean why archive "twitter" messages? Just seems odd..
Because it provides an accurate snapshot of our culture at that time period.

Much like collecting literature. Magazines. Etc. It's a pretty big stretch that you would associate this with Lib of Congress collecting GPS locations and the like.

The article you link acutally explains why in the first paragraph... which is why I think you just saw a link to this on some forum or website, decided you should be outraged, and reposted it without even reading the article.

Quote:
What was the Twitterverse's reaction to the Lehman Brothers collapse? President Obama's election? Now you won't have to wonder.
Quote:
"Tweets and other short-form updates create a history of commentary that can provide valuable insights into what's happened and how people have reacted,"
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-16-2010, 12:33 PM

42,732 posts, read 29,874,717 times
Quote:
Ahh.. Thanks for the correction.

But really, the Library of Congress. Why are they archiving twitters? Are they going to archive your GPS locations, your police records, your emails, what you've bought on ebay?

I mean why archive "twitter" messages? Just seems odd..
It's slice of life Americana. When they archive newspapers, they include the editorials, the letters to the editor, the cartoons, the Dear Abby column. People 200 years from now may find twitter more indicative of what Americans were thinking about, what the world's population was thinking about, then what's in magazines and newspapers.

Old 04-16-2010, 12:35 PM

69,368 posts, read 64,101,577 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by newtoli View Post
Because it provides an accurate snapshot of our culture at that time period.

Much like collecting literature. Magazines. Etc.

The article you link acutally explains why in the first paragraph... which is why I think you just saw a link to this on some forum or website, decided you should be outraged, and reposted it without even reading the article.
I admit I just skimmed the article but you havent discussed the point of the thread.

Whats next, your GPS locations, emails, what you bought on ebay? They are all considered public enformation as well according to the government.

The question I very clearly asked was what next, where will it end, liberals would be outraged had this become public during the Bush years but now its just passed off as "recording of the culture"..

Are these forums next to be archived by the government? Obviously I expect cd to be archiving them, but who/what gives the government the authority to start to copy everything taking place in society and how much is enough?

Old 04-16-2010, 12:35 PM

And you agree to this when you sign up to Twitter.

Twitter / Twitter Terms of Service

You agree that you can be tracked via GPS when you sign up for GPS Services.
Your Ebay purchase history belongs to Ebay and they can use it in any way they wish, you agree to that when you sign up for their services.
Your emails are property of the email service that they reside on, you agree to that when you sign up for their services.

If you don't like that, than don't sign up for those types of services.

Old 04-16-2010, 12:43 PM

Quote:
And you agree to this when you sign up to Twitter.

Twitter / Twitter Terms of Service
The TOS says that the information might become public and that tweets follow the jursdiction of California, it says nothing about being archived or that all of the information is being turned over to the government for archiving.

Lets look at another example..

Say the Library of Congress wanted to begin to archive every tv show being produced, after all, it also represents a snapshot of todays society. This would violate the law, but given the excuse "snapshot of society" would you support it?

Other examples, local county website have name addresses of property owners recorded online, should the library of congress record this info as well? Should they archive every single phone number in america and who those numbers are assigned to? That information is also public.

The question again, is HOW MUCH IS ENOUGH?

I recently got into a discussion with another business owner who was selling their mailing lists, and other business owners had outrage because of privacy concerns. Many would be outraged finding that their personal information was sold to other businesses, but somehow we just make excuses because this is for historical information..

Old 04-16-2010, 12:47 PM

Quote:
You agree that you can be tracked via GPS when you sign up for GPS Services.
Do you agree to have the GPS locations published and archived, so others in the future could know where, when you went?
Quote:
Your Ebay purchase history belongs to Ebay and they can use it in any way they wish, you agree to that when you sign up for their services.
Ahh no.. nothing in the ebay user agreement would allow ebay to publish or turn over your transactions to the government for archiving purposes...
Quote:
Your emails are property of the email service that they reside on, you agree to that when you sign up for their services.
Again, find me ONE email service provider that tells you they can/will turn over your emails for the public to go through.. JUST ONE..

I run my own email servers, but still my emails are considered public according to the government. I sure in the hell didnt authorize myself to turn over my emails without my own concent.

Old 04-16-2010, 12:51 PM

Quote:
Do you agree to have the GPS locations published and archived, so others in the future could know where, when you went?

Ahh no.. nothing in the ebay user agreement would allow ebay to publish or turn over your transactions to the government for archiving purposes...

Again, find me ONE email service provider that tells you they can/will turn over your emails for the public to go through.. JUST ONE..

I run my own email servers, but still my emails are considered public according to the government. I sure in the hell didnt authorize myself to turn over my emails without my own concent.
Your e-mails aren't considered public, according to the government. There are ongoing cases, as is always the case with new technologies, about what privacy standards apply to e-mails. Just because one branch of the government has taken a position, doesn't mean that that position is the position of the entire government. We have three branches of government. All juxtaposed against one another.

Old 04-16-2010, 12:52 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by DC at the Ridge View Post
Your e-mails aren't considered public, according to the government. There are ongoing cases, as is always the case with new technologies, about what privacy standards apply to e-mails. Just because one branch of the government has taken a position, doesn't mean that that position is the position of the entire government. We have three branches of government. All juxtaposed against one another.
Find me one branch of government who says they are private..

Old 04-16-2010, 01:00 PM

Quote:
Find me one branch of government who says they are private..
I don't have to. Can you find me one law that says they are not?

I've already explained to you that the matter is currently in the courts.

And that would be a topic for another thread.

This thread, that you started, is about tweets. Which are like those little blurbs that appear at the bottom of MTV when they open their airways to public comments. Are you under the impression that anyone who sends those little blurbs has an expectation of privacy?

Old 04-16-2010, 01:23 PM

Quote:
I think it's dumb, but you agree to it when you use those services. If you don't like it, don't use it.

Quote:
It states that all data is the property of ebay to do with as they wish. If they wish to give the info to the Government, they can... again, if you don't like it, don't use it.

Quote:
Again, it will state that data is property of the email provider to do with as they wish... if you don't like it, don't use it

Quote:
Care to show me where the Government ruled that emails are public?

You run your own servers, but who provides you with the server space?

You might want to read your contract with your hosting company
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies