Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-16-2010, 04:23 PM

17,531 posts, read 24,701,378 times

Advertisements

EXXON Paid $0.00, maybe it'll trickle down.

How'd Cheyney do?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-16-2010, 04:24 PM

3,331 posts, read 5,957,328 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by harborlady View Post
Oh did I miss that page in history where they voted to increase taxes for a project deemed necessary, then turned tail marching around in circles vilifying the very establishment THEY WERE claiming themselves victims of the legislation they sponsored? Seems many citizens in america missed that page right along with me. Sure it exists?
Whiskey tax, I presume. Yes, you are right. The Federalists (Washington, Adams, Hamilton et al) made a massive blunder there.

The federal government, at the behest of the 1st Secretary of the Treasury, Alexander Hamilton, assumed the states' debt from the Revolutionary War. In 1791 Hamilton convinced Congress to approve the Whiskey Act, which placed an excise tax on alcohol. This was to be the first "internal" tax levied by the national government. Although Hamilton's principal reason for the tax was raising money to service the national debt, he also justified the tax "more as a measure of social discipline than as a source of revenue." Most importantly, however, Hamilton "wanted the tax imposed to advance and secure the power of the new federal government." This all led to the Whiskey Rebellion. What Hamilton was doing is very reminiscent of what is going on today as well. The Rebels were the Patriots during that time.

Yes, this episode make Washington's comments in his Farewell Address in 1796 seem disingenuous. Thank goodness Thomas Jefferson came along and put a stop to it. The question is, where is the 21st Century Thomas Jefferson going to come from?

Old 04-16-2010, 04:31 PM

3,393 posts, read 4,012,063 times
Glad to see the Fisher House was one of the charities. That's one of my favorite charities and is run very efficiently. Good for him.

Old 04-16-2010, 04:33 PM

2,539 posts, read 4,087,650 times
What's your point?

Old 04-16-2010, 04:36 PM

15,080 posts, read 20,477,038 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Wayland Woman View Post
No it doesn't but all the other things that Obama does on a daily basis does make him a real American patriot.
Then the OP needs to list the other things Obama does on a daily basis that would qualify him as a patriot becausing paying taxes is nothing outstanding.

Old 04-16-2010, 04:38 PM

24,868 posts, read 24,392,645 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MIKEETC View Post
Then the OP needs to list the other things Obama does on a daily basis that would qualify him as a patriot becausing paying taxes is nothing outstanding.
How about donating over a million dollars to charity?

Old 04-16-2010, 04:41 PM

3,331 posts, read 5,957,328 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Memphis1979 View Post
No taxation without Representation, right?

Seems like I remember voting a few years ago, and a vote coming up this November.

Guess we got our representation.
Yes, we have the vote. True. No contest. However, the people who are sent, especially those who are party mainliners and insiders, do you honestly feel they are representing you in Congress? Or, are they more representing American Corporations and the Church (Right) or American Corporations AND the looney groups like PETA, ACORN, etc. (Left)?

When you consider it in that light, saying we have representation is more akin to Samuel Johnson's 1775 treatise, Taxation No Tyranny, where in an attempt to defend the "Coercive Acts" he extolled the virtues of "Virtual Representation" in Parliament. It didn't wash.

Old 04-16-2010, 04:43 PM

15,080 posts, read 20,477,038 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Memphis1979 View Post
How about donating over a million dollars to charity?
Is donating a definition of patriotism? If so, a lot of people are patriots...

Old 04-16-2010, 04:46 PM

24,868 posts, read 24,392,645 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Fullback32 View Post
Yes, we have the vote. True. No contest. However, the people who are sent, especially those who are party mainliners and insiders, do you honestly feel they are representing you in Congress? Or are they more representing American Corporations and the Church (Right) or American Corporations AND the looney groups like PETA, ACORN, etc. (Left)?

When you consider it in that light, saying we have representation is more akin to Samuel Johnson's 1775 treatise, Taxation No Tyranny, where in an attempt to defend the "Coercive Acts" he extolled the virtues of "Virtual Representation" in Parliament. It didn't wash.
This is what I don't get about the "Congress doesn't represent me" argument.

You vote for how ever many Representatives you get for your state, based on population.

You get to vote for two senators.

You don't get to vote, or say, what happens in other states.

Thats the way our system works. If 49 states decide to vote a 100% tax on all income in your state, you are SOL. Thats the way our government is set up.

You can complain about what other states do, and ask YOUR representative to try and change what other states are doing, but thats the end of your government control.

The majority of Americans voted for George Bush, I didn't like it, and I didn't like what he did. I expressed my opinion on it, because I get a vote for President. However, I don't get to vote for congressmen and women from California. So I can't complain about Nancy Pelosi. I can ask my congressman to oppose her being speaker of the house, but thats the end of it.

Quit complaining about what congress is doing to you. If you're unhappy with what your congressmen and women are doing for you, vote against them. Don't tell me, who I need to vote for in my state.

Old 04-16-2010, 04:47 PM

5,476 posts, read 12,247,018 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MIKEETC View Post
Paying taxes alone is not sufficient to label one a patriot.
That's not what Joe Biden thinks.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies