Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-16-2010, 04:49 PM

15,080 posts, read 20,474,184 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by cobolt View Post
That's not what Joe Biden thinks.
I don't agree with him.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-16-2010, 04:50 PM

2,847 posts, read 2,517,717 times
wow, I guess that makes me a patriot as well, I pay taxes and make charitable contributions

Old 04-16-2010, 05:14 PM

3,331 posts, read 5,956,654 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Memphis1979 View Post
This is what I don't get about the "Congress doesn't represent me" argument.

You vote for how ever many Representatives you get for your state, based on population.

You get to vote for two senators.

You don't get to vote, or say, what happens in other states.

Thats the way our system works. If 49 states decide to vote a 100% tax on all income in your state, you are SOL. Thats the way our government is set up.

You can complain about what other states do, and ask YOUR representative to try and change what other states are doing, but thats the end of your government control.

The majority of Americans voted for George Bush, I didn't like it, and I didn't like what he did. I expressed my opinion on it, because I get a vote for President. However, I don't get to vote for congressmen and women from California. So I can't complain about Nancy Pelosi. I can ask my congressman to oppose her being speaker of the house, but thats the end of it.

Quit complaining about what congress is doing to you. If you're unhappy with what your congressmen and women are doing for you, vote against them. Don't tell me, who I need to vote for in my state.
I don't believe that I am telling you who to vote for in your state. The problem is that the Congress and the Senate has morphed closer and closer to a National body rather than a Federal body and has been doing so for a long time. There is a difference. As they act as a National body rather than a Federal one, what the Representatives and Senators from other States do has a profound effect on your State. You most certainly can complain against Nancy Pelosi or John Boehner as you wish.

Old 04-16-2010, 05:19 PM

24,868 posts, read 24,388,397 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Fullback32 View Post
I don't believe that I am telling you who to vote for in your state. The problem is that the Congress and the Senate has morphed closer and closer to a National body rather than a Federal body and has been doing so for a long time. There is a difference. As they act as a National body rather than a Federal one, what the Representatives and Senators from other States do has a profound effect on your State. You most certainly can complain against Nancy Pelosi or John Boehner as you wish.
I stand by, you have your say in your state. Regardless of what congress and the President do, if the majority votes that way, thats the way it is.

Again, if you don't like the majority and minority leaders, ask your representative to stand against them in that aspect.

Old 04-16-2010, 06:07 PM

2,958 posts, read 2,560,575 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by aliveandwellinSA View Post
wow, I guess that makes me a patriot as well, I pay taxes and make charitable contributions
How's your Nobel peace prize taking shape?

How about being the first African American to be elected president by a true majority?

How about graduating from Harvard Law with honors?

He has more good sense in his pinky than George W. Bush will have after he's reincarnated as the pope.

Old 04-16-2010, 06:08 PM

15,080 posts, read 20,474,184 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Melvin.George View Post
How's your Nobel peace prize taking shape?

How about being the first African American to be elected president by a true majority?

How about graduating from Harvard Law with honors?

He has more good sense in his pinky than George W. Bush will have after he's reincarnated as the pope.
None of those make one a patriot.

Old 04-16-2010, 06:15 PM

24,868 posts, read 24,388,397 times
Quote:
Do you donate over 1/5th of your income to charity?

If you do, I'd say you are a patriot.

Old 04-16-2010, 11:56 PM

15,092 posts, read 8,634,588 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Memphis1979 View Post
How about donating over a million dollars to charity?
He should have donated it .... he surely did nothing to deserve a "peace" prize.

Maybe the hypocrisy was too much for even Obama?

The other side of this is that "charity" is much less about real compassion for those who have WAY MORE than they need or could ever use. It's about image and politics.

Real charity is sharing what little you might have with others .. phony charity is giving away that which you have no need for.

Old 04-17-2010, 12:33 AM

1,928 posts, read 3,645,206 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Boompa View Post
EXXON Paid $0.00, maybe it'll trickle down.

How'd Cheyney do?
GE didn't pay anything either. Maybe because they lost so much money when they moved Leno to 10:00.

Quote:
Well then heck. I am one too.

Old 04-17-2010, 12:43 AM

8,624 posts, read 9,088,985 times
Hmmm. We have a man that cannot honor the country he is the president of when he is on foreign soil. A man that cannot say terrorist for the real terrorist that attacked us but has no problem mocking and calling American citizens he is supposed to represent, terrorists. A man that bows way down low like a common house servant to the leaders of foreign countries and a man that has put America haters in his administration BUT he paid taxes so that makes him a patriot.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies