Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-17-2010, 09:16 PM

1,928 posts, read 3,637,190 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Peggy Anne View Post
A good teacher is priceless. A good teacher is a person who makes people want to learn. In order to do that, he/she needs a manageable class, and many resources. They can work miracles together. Nothing beats enthusiasm, and the desire to actually go to school. Fear, and dread are not good things for human beings.
I agree with you. They are priceless. And soon all the good ones will be gone. Tired of being called whiners. Tired of being called over paid. Tired of hearing they only work 7 or 8 hours a day for only ten month. Tired of paying off all those student loans they have so they can teach more effectively. Tired of all the endless, mostly useless paperwork. Tired of administrators who are clueless about what really goes on in classrooms yet set policy. Tired of passing students who don't deserve it. Tired of seeing kids working hard and knowing most won't get into college because they won't be able to get loans and their parents can't afford to send them.

I have come to regret encouraging my daughter to become a teacher. It's sad to see her so discouraged after only ten years of teaching. Hanging in there because she has been lucky to have positive feedback from former students. And that huge paycheck she gets-right. But it's all getting old and tiresome.

So I fear she will leave and more and more good teachers will leave. Either discouraged or pushed out because they make too much money. It's such a shame because it really is a calling.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-17-2010, 09:18 PM

2,318 posts, read 1,890,830 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by odinloki1 View Post
Seriously, I see all these posts villifying teachers and complaining about the need for performance based pay. What is the performance pay going to be?

If I were a teacher and my income/livelihood/whole career, is going to be based on whether little kids can behave in class, do what they're expected to do, and their parents make them do their homework at home. What would be in it for me? I can go in and give it my all and get through to 24/30 kids in a class (80%) but 6 goof off, don't care about any punishment in school because there's no accountability at home, and don't ever do homework, whats that worth? What if I get a transfer halfway through and he's practically a grade behind because where he was going to school, the teacher was a moron? Am I going to lose my income because of that? Families move all the time, especially in this economy.

Why should a persons income be tied to the actions of others? Its a recipe for driving talented intelligent people out of a profession. So how are you going to make it lucrative enough for the good ones to stay?

Lets hear something more creative than "whatever the market dictates"

I'd love answers for all of this from conservatives.

Ask your new education zar . I read somewhere they are replacing many with foreigners , [ I know I'll be accused ' again ' but it seems everything is directy or in-directly a result of handing over the nation to immigrants ] , like most other professions. I must say the teachers unions are the best deserving of job loss though , imo . It was fine when they were taking away the rights to raise our own kids , but now the twickle down socilaism is hitting them , lol .

I'm just glad my kids don't go to school now . Nobody has the right to teach a child about lewd and abnormal sex . Good riddence teach . Not all of course . They gave up liberty for security and they will end up with neither . See their is a silver lining to every cloud after all .

Old 04-17-2010, 09:25 PM

2,318 posts, read 1,890,830 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Catrick View Post
I agree with you. They are priceless. And soon all the good ones will be gone. Tired of being called whiners. Tired of being called over paid. Tired of hearing they only work 7 or 8 hours a day for only ten month. Tired of paying off all those student loans they have so they can teach more effectively. Tired of all the endless, mostly useless paperwork. Tired of administrators who are clueless about what really goes on in classrooms yet set policy. Tired of passing students who don't deserve it. Tired of seeing kids working hard and knowing most won't get into college because they won't be able to get loans and their parents can't afford to send them.

I have come to regret encouraging my daughter to become a teacher. It's sad to see her so discouraged after only ten years of teaching. Hanging in there because she has been lucky to have positive feedback from former students. And that huge paycheck she gets-right. But it's all getting old and tiresome.

So I fear she will leave and more and more good teachers will leave. Either discouraged or pushed out because they make too much money. It's such a shame because it really is a calling.

They should have protested the trash being forced to teach . School has become a recruiting ground for agendas and politics

Old 04-17-2010, 09:48 PM

12,920 posts, read 13,611,483 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Chatteress View Post
The rest of the professional world does not receive the summer off for professional development activities. Many folks work 40+ hours and still are expected to keep their skills and training up to date.
I don't know many teachers who work a 40 hr week. Those "professional development" activities are going to school in the summer so you can get a raise. Just any day drive by your local high school and see how many cars are still there at 7,8, or 9pm. Then drive by your local welfare office, bank, Dr.'s office, Law office, and see how many are still with clients after 5:30 pm. There's one job board I know of that has around 8,000 teaching vacancies on it .It seems to always have that many.
There are a few vacancies I have been asked to fill, I say thanks but no thanks , who needs summer off when you can be home at 5 every day and guaranteed weekends and holidays off(and no papers to grade at home)

Old 04-17-2010, 09:51 PM

39,031 posts, read 22,983,871 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Visvaldis View Post
Great post. I think that the desire to learn (and listen) should be cultivated at home. So that the teacher can concentrate on teaching instead of motivating and disciplining. I still think the failure of American education is rooted in the home, not the schools.
How about the problems rooted both in the home and in schools? Teachers are no saints and I've had my share of lousy ones. Teachers need to own up to responsibility versus blaming everything on other factors.

Old 04-17-2010, 09:58 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by thriftylefty View Post
I don't know many teachers who work a 40 hr week. Those "professional development" activities are going to school in the summer so you can get a raise. Just any day drive by your local high school and see how many cars are still there at 7,8, or 9pm. Then drive by your local welfare office, bank, Dr.'s office, Law office, and see how many are still with clients after 5:30 pm. There's one job board I know of that has around 8,000 teaching vacancies on it .It seems to always have that many.
There are a few vacancies I have been asked to fill, I say thanks but no thanks , who needs summer off when you can be home at 5 every day an guaranteed weekends and holidays off(and no papers to grade at home)
Again, other folks need to update their skills and degrees in order to earn more money yet they do not have the advantage of an entire summer off. I know teachers personally and they are not spending the entire summer in school. No where did I state that teachers work 40 hours per week ... I stated that folks who work 40+ hours without having summer off have to update their skills to remain current in their professions. Never stated that teaching is an easy profession but I, and millions of others, are sick of the whining that teachers are underpaid and under-appreciated. I've had my share of lousy teachers who did not even pretend to teach the subject matter so please spare me the martyrdom routine.

Old 04-17-2010, 10:54 PM

90,316 posts, read 120,475,124 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by thriftylefty View Post
There are a few vacancies I have been asked to fill, I say thanks but no thanks , who needs summer off when you can be home at 5 every day and guaranteed weekends and holidays off(and no papers to grade at home)
I work in a doctor's office. We start seeing patients at 8:30 AM, and frequently aren't done until 6 or 6:15. Then the nurses get to go home, but the dr. has to stay and do dictation, make hospital rounds, etc. It's a rare day that we aren't seeing patients at 5:30. Then the doc sees pts in the hospital, and then one of the group is on call until 8:30 the next morning, which can include seeing patients even later. We have to do our inservice ed in the evenings after work. I just went to such a meeting last week. Many states (not mine) require mandatory CEUs for nurses, and I think Colo requires them for docs, so that's just part of what has to be worked in.

Old 04-17-2010, 11:06 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Katiana View Post
I work in a doctor's office. We start seeing patients at 8:30 AM, and frequently aren't done until 6 or 6:15. Then the nurses get to go home, but the dr. has to stay and do dictation, make hospital rounds, etc. It's a rare day that we aren't seeing patients at 5:30. Then the doc sees pts in the hospital, and then one of the group is on call until 8:30 the next morning, which can include seeing patients even later. We have to do our inservice ed in the evenings after work. I just went to such a meeting last week. Many states (not mine) require mandatory CEUs for nurses, and I think Colo requires them for docs, so that's just part of what has to be worked in.
Don't nurses who work in hospitals put in 12hr shifts? I could not recall if you worked in a hospital or doctor's office.

Old 04-17-2010, 11:09 PM

90,316 posts, read 120,475,124 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Chatteress View Post
Don't nurses who work in hospitals put in 12hr shifts? I could not recall if you worked in a hospital or doctor's office.
Yes, usually in the hospital nurses work 12 hr shifts. I work in an office. We're usually there about 9 hrs. "Full-time" is considered 4 days b/c they don't want to pay us OT.

Old 04-18-2010, 01:12 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Katiana View Post
Yes, usually in the hospital nurses work 12 hr shifts. I work in an office. We're usually there about 9 hrs. "Full-time" is considered 4 days b/c they don't want to pay us OT.
A nurse's schedule is very demanding yet I rarely hear complaints from you guys. I think a nurse's job is just as noble as a teacher's job and my hats off to you guys.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies