Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-18-2010, 04:46 PM

2,830 posts, read 2,502,245 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by dunks_galore View Post
I most certainly do see the bigger picture of it all, and I see it beyond the wars we've waged in the past 10 years. Our action in Iraq and Afghanistan was predicated on false information, and right now it is bleeding us dry, killing innocents, fueling terrorism, and ruining our reputation. We don't have enough troops so we deploy PMCs, who in turn act irresponsibly and make us look even worse. Our leader in Afghanistan publicly laments the number of innocents we kill at checkpoints, even as plenty of our soldiers die for noting.

If you have an alternative view, provide an intelligent response instead of some empty garbage punctuated with emoticons.
Again, you are blaming the technicalities of the war. I don't disagree that certain aspects of the war were carried out incorrectly, however that was mostly an issue dealing with our national intelligence at the time. Bush just set the master objectives and pushed the button.

What was the reason we went to war in the first place?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-18-2010, 04:51 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Smash255 View Post
Coming from someone who posted an opinion piece from a conservative commentator as their 'evidence'.....

As far as no reasonable concrete arguments?? We focused more on Iraq than we did on Afghanistan. That is a fact.
Opinion piece or not, he pointed out credible facts that you yourself cannot disprove and I made a personal decision to agree with what he said. Just because it wasn't an article written by Reuters doesn't mean it is rhetoic "hatemonger" propaganda. I receive my news from all kinds of sources, but am very diligent to fact check things before making a decision.

Again, you are focusing too closely on the technical details of the war. Read the other post I wrote above... What was the reason we went to war in the first place?

Old 04-18-2010, 04:52 PM

1,089 posts, read 654,950 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ryanst530 View Post
Despite his faults, leaders from around the world respected the man, even if a few hated him. This cannot be said about Obama. Most countries now view the US as a push over country that appears strategically indecisive. Obama's apology tours are undermining the credibility of our country and what we stand for, putting everyone at risk, even other countries that rely on our military defense.
Your problem is that you are an authoritarian, you think respect means being feared. That worldview gets you enemies and not friends, but hey conservatives love enemies. They wouldn't leave home without one.

Old 04-18-2010, 04:54 PM

2,125 posts, read 1,939,167 times
Quote:
Again, you are blaming the technicalities of the war. I don't disagree that certain aspects of the war were carried out incorrectly, however that was mostly an issue dealing with our national intelligence at the time. Bush just set the master objectives and pushed the button.

This is an enormous deflection. "The technicalities of the war". Unpack this. Describe what the technicalities of war are.

Describe how the POTUS cannot be blamed for rushing into a war (despite, internally, enormous cries from all sides telling him that his intelligence was faulty) against a nation that had nothing to do with 9/11. Do you not remember the hubris of Rumsfeld as we went in? Do you remember how we allowed Iraq's infrastructure to be absolutely destroyed? The only building we protected was the ministry of oil. What about Cheney, his connection to Halliburton, and the no-bid contracts which we awarded to them? You still haven't acknowledged the use of mercenaries, or, Abu Ghraib, or our detention policies. Are these simply technicalities of war?

I do not think that terrorism is an issue to be ignored, but your defense of Bush's war policies is extremely weak. War is not a joke. Fighting terrorists, as opposed to a nation-state, is extremely difficult, yet we attack Iraq? Afghanistan is grinding up our boys like it's nothing, all because Bush "pushed the button" without using any kind of sense. Yee-haw. I'm gonna 'venge my daddy. Hate for Bush should be bi-partisan.

2,318 posts, read 1,894,566 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by AnUnidentifiedMale View Post
Yes, it was much better when we didn't have Social Security or Medicare and senior citizens starved or went without health care. Ah, the good old days.

As for the debt, it costs money to run a civilized country. Are rich people about to run out of money? If so, that's news to me. Besides, Reagan and Bush didn't worry about the debt, so why should liberals?
Yes it was, my grandmother wh was born in the mid 1800s was cared for by her mother ,not put into a lonely old folks home or hospice to die, she died in mothers bedroom . my mother died in my front room also . I will more than likly die alone although I have kids and grown grandkids ..

Roosevelts New Deal was't such a deal after all . Before welfare and socilaism we took care of each other, so did the minorities matter of fact . Changes needed to be made and they were .

22,180 posts, read 19,449,121 times
Quote:

As far Afghanistan we went to war because we were attacked. Nothing wrong with that and I was 100% behind the war in Afghanistan. Iraq is another story all together and it hurt us badly in our fight against those who actually did attack us as well as our standing.

Old 04-18-2010, 04:56 PM

21,026 posts, read 22,142,009 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by AnUnidentifiedMale View Post
They did?
They didn't (and we know it)

They do?
They don't ( and we know it)

Old 04-18-2010, 04:57 PM

2,125 posts, read 1,939,167 times
Quote:
Again, you are focusing too closely on the technical details of the war. Read the other post I wrote above... What was the reason we went to war in the first place?
Everyone pay close attention to this.

"the technical details of war". This is how someone with a poor argument tries to avoid the realities of the issue at hand.

We all know we went to war because of 9/11. So what?

Who were we supposed to go to war with? Do the ends justify the means regardless of the consequences? Should we ignore how we conduct ourselves in war? Do you really think that the wars in Iraq and Afghanistan have dealt a crippling blow to Islamic terrorism?

What are you talking about? Ask any world leader for yourself who they looked up to more. Go ahead, do it. I am completely confident about my stance on this. Bash my points of view all you want, in the end, I know I'm right on this.

-response to pbrauer

11,155 posts, read 15,700,997 times
1. Nobody, not even Obama, thinks the current deficits are sustainable. Drastic actions needed to be taken to prevent the economy from tipping into a prolonged depression. A lot of spending up front (including billlions in tax cuts) seems have pulled the economy back from the brink. Next step is paying down the deficit, which Obama has promised to cut in half by the end of his first term.

2. I don't know any liberal that supports prolonged dependence on free money if it's not necessary. There are people who abuse the social system and they are wrong. Just like there are people who abuse the capital system and they are wrong (i.e. the banks and such that collapsed our economy).
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies