Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-19-2010, 01:30 PM

4,399 posts, read 10,670,273 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pappy&Me View Post
It is a foolish lango , what I can say at a normal speed in 1 minute takes a spanish person 5 minutes to say on fast speed .
Priceless
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-19-2010, 01:37 PM

31,767 posts, read 28,815,462 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Pappy&Me View Post
It is a foolish lango , what I can say at a normal speed in 1 minute takes a spanish person 5 minutes to say on fast speed .
Would proper grammar be a prerequisite?

Old 04-19-2010, 02:38 PM

37,135 posts, read 42,209,520 times
We have a Spanish duel immersion program in my district and a very low Hispanic population. It has limited capacity and there is always a waiting list to get in. It's there to give kids a leg up on their foreign language, which is a requirement, and to look good on those competitive college applications. Being bilingual is a plus in the job market as well.

Last edited by Ceece; 04-19-2010 at 04:01 PM..

Old 04-19-2010, 03:03 PM

580 posts, read 1,081,647 times
I'm not sure how I feel about this. The whole illegal immigration argument aside, I'm all for learning additional languages. And the younger you start, the more natural it gets. In a school like McKinney, which is 63 percent Hispanic or Latino, this might be a good fit.
But overall, I'm not so sure that this would be a viable program for most schools in general. There could very well be a generation of kids who struggle with languages (but might excel at some other topic), and therefore if they're tested on something that's not in their native English, this might reflect poorly on their grades.
If anything, classes should continue to be taught in English, but then most schools should really amp up their foreign language classes. Especially Spanish since, legal or not, there are quite a few people int his country who speak primarily Spanish, and that would be the best language to learn in order to communicate with the most people.

Old 04-19-2010, 03:19 PM

3,331 posts, read 5,956,158 times
I think there are two things being confused here:

Learning other languages - good
Catering to another language to become a bilingual nation - bad

Those are two different issues but they seem to be fusing here.

Old 04-19-2010, 03:21 PM

31,767 posts, read 28,815,462 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Fullback32 View Post
I think there are two things being confused here:

Learning other languages - good
Catering to another language to become a bilingual nation - bad

Those are two different issues but they seem to be fusing here.
1. How did you arrive at the conclusion you did (that this is catering to another language to become a bilingual nation)?
2. Why is it bad if the populace were fluent in more than one language?

Old 04-19-2010, 03:27 PM

20 posts, read 14,587 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by EinsteinsGhost View Post

because anything other than English is INFERIOR.

/SARCASM

Old 04-19-2010, 03:34 PM

1,503 posts, read 1,156,147 times
Have you noticed that most of the "English Firsters" don't really have a very good command of even that language?

Old 04-19-2010, 03:40 PM

5,872 posts, read 8,093,497 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by LeoZ View Post
I'm not sure how I feel about this. The whole illegal immigration argument aside, I'm all for learning additional languages. And the younger you start, the more natural it gets. In a school like McKinney, which is 63 percent Hispanic or Latino, this might be a good fit.
But overall, I'm not so sure that this would be a viable program for most schools in general. There could very well be a generation of kids who struggle with languages (but might excel at some other topic), and therefore if they're tested on something that's not in their native English, this might reflect poorly on their grades.
If anything, classes should continue to be taught in English, but then most schools should really amp up their foreign language classes. Especially Spanish since, legal or not, there are quite a few people int his country who speak primarily Spanish, and that would be the best language to learn in order to communicate with the most people.
Just a few things. First, Dallas is just under 63% Latino, but McKinney in NO WAY shape or form is ANY WHERE NEAR even 25% Latino.

Second, how about they are tested in multiple languages, like the Japanese or the Germans?

Old 04-19-2010, 03:41 PM

3,331 posts, read 5,956,158 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by EinsteinsGhost View Post
1. How did you arrive at the conclusion you did (that this is catering to another language to become a bilingual nation)?
You just like to argue don't you. I was talking about the way the thread is being discussed. The issue isn't about learning a new language. Learning other languages is a good thing. I wonder why people just keep mentioning the simple learning of a new language as this being the point of the thread. If that was the point, then people would have protested against foreign language classes a long time ago. Hell, at the Catholic school I attended, the started us on Spanish in Kindergarten. I took it all the way through 8th and switched to German my Freshman year in High School and continued taking German in college. Learning another language is not the problem.

But some are veiling what the real concern is in their posting. The real concern is that many see these types of programs as an attempt to supplant the English language in America. That's all I was trying to point out. Sheez. If that is the concern, then the arguments should be clear about that. Let's cut to the chase.

As I am an American Indian, yes enrolled member of the Comanche Nation of Oklahoma, I understand the concerns of those who fear their language being supplanted by another. Fortunately, we have managed to preserve our language despite English being forced upon us. I can Numu Tekwapu (speak Comanche). I feel that since the original inhabitants of this land had to learn English, damn it everybody should have to learn English.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies