Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-20-2010, 11:52 AM

14,481 posts, read 11,278,588 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by tr33hugger View Post
Why is it terrible to learn to learn something new that you will PROBABLY use in your lifetime?
All we hear from the liberals is how inadequate the American educational system is, how we are falling disastrously behind competing nations in math and the sciences. We keep hearing that our children do not know how to find Bosnia on a map or that they do not know who the prime minister of this or that country is. We hear how European children are leaps and bounds ahead in knowing about the goings on in the world around them.

Then when the opportunity arises to make changes to the status quo what do these idiots get behind?

Spanish immersion!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-20-2010, 12:35 PM

5,872 posts, read 8,092,789 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr. Joshua View Post
All we hear from the liberals is how inadequate the American educational system is, how we are falling disastrously behind competing nations in math and the sciences. We keep hearing that our children do not know how to find Bosnia on a map or that they do not know who the prime minister of this or that country is. We hear how European children are leaps and bounds ahead in knowing about the goings on in the world around them.

Then when the opportunity arises to make changes to the status quo what do these idiots get behind?

Spanish immersion!
It's not just liberals, but that is getting off topic. Spanish is just a first step toward a remedy to those ills you listed above. Math, Science, ACTUAL SOCIAL STUDIES, FACTUAL government, FACTUAL history. Hell, most people can't find their own neighborhood on a map, much less their own country or state.

Step by step, kicking and scratching...

Old 04-20-2010, 01:06 PM

5,562 posts, read 5,681,868 times
If someone wants to learn a new languge LET THEM CHOOSE. You can offer spanish in school, just like german, italian, latin. etc. I think that would be a choose which one. As far as being better in school because of different languages we have people who cant understand ONE so I think that is just the typical mulitcutural re-education program of liberal idealogy. Schools should focus on a few things.
math, science, english, music, arts, HISTORY (question is who is writing the books)
A FOREIGN LANGUAGE!!! WHICH IS WHAT WE ALWAYS CALLED IT IN THE 70's and 80's will always be a OPTION. We have people in this country who cant even read english. I'm not saying you need to dumb down anything but before we get all excitied to force children to speak spanish they need english FIRST to function and to get a JOB in the real world someday. The united states is not the united nations we wont be speaking 10 languages and going to starbucks because you want to impress others with your ethnic awareness and your language skills.

Old 04-20-2010, 02:05 PM

26,875 posts, read 38,019,680 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Fullback32 View Post

What about Canada? Yes, I know all about Quebec. Do non-Quebecois also learn French?

I'm really curious.
About 9% of all English-speaking Canadians can speak French. This includes the 600,000 or 700,000 English-speaking Canadians who live in Quebec. (There are probably 20 million or more English-speaking Canadians living outside Quebec.)

As for those English-speaking Canadians who live in Quebec, they make up just under 10% of Quebec's population, are are much much more bilingual than English Canadians in the rest of the country: between 65 and 70% of English speakers in Quebec can speak French.

If you take out those in Quebec, the % of English Canadians (those in the other 9 provinces) who can speak French drops to around 7%.

Old 04-20-2010, 02:17 PM

3,331 posts, read 5,955,630 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Acajack View Post
About 9% of all English-speaking Canadians can speak French. This includes the 600,000 or 700,000 English-speaking Canadians who live in Quebec. (There are probably 20 million or more English-speaking Canadians living outside Quebec.)

As for those English-speaking Canadians who live in Quebec, they make up just under 10% of Quebec's population, are are much much more bilingual than English Canadians in the rest of the country: between 65 and 70% of English speakers in Quebec can speak French.

If you take out those in Quebec, the % of English Canadians (those in the other 9 provinces) who can speak French drops to around 7%.
Thanks for the answer Acajack!

Old 04-20-2010, 02:54 PM

32,516 posts, read 37,168,702 times
I'm in ultra conservative Maricopa County, AZ (home of the notorious Sheriff Joe) and my local 99% white kids public elementary school teaches in Spanish half the day.

Highest rated school in the state and I'm all for it.

It those kids ever move to CA where a whole lot of jobs want you to speak Spanish they'll be a step ahead of everybody. I was taught Spanish myself for an hour every day in a nice, white school in a nice, white county. Wish I knew more.

Old 04-20-2010, 04:31 PM

5,872 posts, read 8,092,789 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by LibertyandJusticeforAll View Post
If someone wants to learn a new languge LET THEM CHOOSE. You can offer spanish in school, just like german, italian, latin. etc. I think that would be a choose which one. As far as being better in school because of different languages we have people who cant understand ONE so I think that is just the typical mulitcutural re-education program of liberal idealogy. Schools should focus on a few things.
math, science, english, music, arts, HISTORY (question is who is writing the books)
A FOREIGN LANGUAGE!!! WHICH IS WHAT WE ALWAYS CALLED IT IN THE 70's and 80's will always be a OPTION. We have people in this country who cant even read english. I'm not saying you need to dumb down anything but before we get all excitied to force children to speak spanish they need english FIRST to function and to get a JOB in the real world someday. The united states is not the united nations we wont be speaking 10 languages and going to starbucks because you want to impress others with your ethnic awareness and your language skills.
Really? The UNITED STATES literally IS the United Nations.

We will be speaking 100's of languages, and going everywhere and speaking all kinds of different languages simply to impress others, but doing more so that we and our children can GET A JOB....IN THE REAL WORLD, not only now...but in the future.

Old 04-20-2010, 06:27 PM

25,713 posts, read 18,788,778 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by DewDropInn View Post
I'm in ultra conservative Maricopa County, AZ (home of the notorious Sheriff Joe) and my local 99% white kids public elementary school teaches in Spanish half the day.

It those kids ever move to CA where a whole lot of jobs want you to speak Spanish they'll be a step ahead of everybody. I was taught Spanish myself for an hour every day in a nice, white school in a nice, white county. Wish I knew more.
I agree with your post.

The thing that most posters here don't know or won't admit is that at the young age when children pick up language like a sponge, their developing minds are not able to understand logic-intensive, abstract subjects like math or physics, etc. A five year old is NOT going to learn calculus, but a five year old (and younger) absorbs language like a sponge. So it's not the case that because Johnny is learning Spanish, he's not learning calculus. That's not even possible at that age. It's more like, because Johnny is learning Spanish, he's not able to play with the Lego blocks as much in class. Is that really such a bad trade off? Language should be started in preschool when the child's mind is optimal for language acquisition. Try teaching trigonometry to your preschooler.

Old 04-20-2010, 09:11 PM

14,481 posts, read 11,278,588 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by DewDropInn View Post

Well if nothing else it will help them communicate with the migrant farm workers, the housekeepers, and the landscapers.

Old 04-20-2010, 09:13 PM

5,407 posts, read 7,793,866 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by HappyTexan View Post
You may use it but not in business in a global situation. English is the standard language.
Umm. Not true. I use my Spanish as a standard part of my business in a global situation and it has advanced my career.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies