U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Covid-19 Information Page
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: Civilization in 100 years?
We're DOOMED!!!!! Abandon hope... 5 27.78%
A few of us will make it and live in communes. Love will be free, weed will be too... 0 0%
Ever seen Blade Runner? Yea, like that... 1 5.56%
Business as usual. The 2099 Corvette will be especially sweet; 0-60 in 1.8 seconds and it will get 15 MPG... 5 27.78%
Everything will be white, round and spotless, from your jumpsuit to your 5 mile high apartment building. Weekend trips to Saturn will be the norm... 1 5.56%
Nobody can predict the future, idiot. Shut up and go back to work... 6 33.33%
Voters: 18. You may not vote on this poll

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-19-2010, 11:07 AM

13,145 posts, read 20,194,305 times

Advertisements

I've been spending a lot of time thinking about the future. I read as much positive and negative stuff as I can get my grubby little hands on, from theories of apocalyptic doomsday to shiny technological utopias.

I bet lots of people here do too, so tell me with everything you know, you believe our civilization will survive the 21st century? Which scenario is more likely? What kind of world do you imagine your great grandkids growing up in?
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-19-2010, 11:18 AM

2,127 posts, read 1,763,076 times
This is a short-term prediction, but certainly modern "civilization" will survive. The nation-state will lose much of its potency as we become more interdependent and connected, but the facade will remain as long as our nationalist tendencies do. Supranational organizations will finally wield some power; the rich areas of the world will still be rich and the poor areas will likely remain poorer or get worse. These power relations will be replicated within these organizations.

Warfare will be a constant means of repression w/r/t to those rambunctious poorer nations, with decreasing loss of human life (drones and "bodyless" means of warfare) on the side of developed nations removing the incentive to avoid conflict.

Populations in the wealthy areas will be increasingly apathetic towards politics because entertainment will be so damn good; the internet will probably be far more regulated than it is now, making governmental control of information much easier, and "infotainment" in the style of Glenn Beck will be a paradigm followed by much of the mass media, which will be even more concentrated amongst few major conglomerates than now.

The world will still be predominately capitalist, and privatization will increase greatly, extending to almost all of our prisons, many of our schools, and entire towns. Social stratification even in the "wealthy" areas will become a significant problem, but since the means of repression will be so great, the tenuous peace will be kept.

Old 04-19-2010, 11:28 AM

4,783 posts, read 3,357,649 times
Who knows when the tipping point will come that finally crashes the technological society. It will probably continue for some time, but it is completely unsustainable. Unless there is a future program to commit broad global mass murder there simply is not enough resources available to continue the way we have been going. Besides, if it were to continue, the complexity of such a system would reduce humans to automatons in order to make it function.

Old 04-19-2010, 11:31 AM

72,710 posts, read 38,663,885 times
Business as usual, but I think the Corvette will get a heck of a lot more than 15 mpg

Old 04-19-2010, 11:31 AM

897 posts, read 1,525,733 times
I think Humanity will nuke themselves into oblivion within the next 50-100 years. The fate of Humanity,I fear,is to destroy themselves.

Old 04-19-2010, 11:33 AM

3,007 posts, read 5,435,504 times
Donald Fagan - I.G.Y

Standing tough under stars and stripes
We can tell
This dream's in sight
You've got to admit it
At this point in time that it's clear
The future looks bright
On that train all graphite and glitter
Undersea by rail