U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-19-2010, 03:54 PM

694 posts, read 702,898 times

Advertisements

I have no ill will toward anyone, but I don't understand the "Hate" part of a crime, and why it makes a difference. If I attack you on the street because of your sexual orientation, race, religious affiliation, or whatever, why does that matter. I have still attacked you. What difference does the reason make.

I ask this because if it is LEGAL for me to not like a person due to any of these things, then it should not factor into the crime. Aren't all crimes HATE anyway. If I rob you of your money, I have hate for my situation or the fact that your situation is better than mine, or whatever.

If you say that it does matter, isn't that the same as saying it is illegal for me to not like you for this or that reason.

Charles
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-19-2010, 03:57 PM

1,038 posts, read 1,151,975 times
Why differentiate between first degree and second degree murder? They are both murder. Should it matter if it was premeditated or not? Should it matter if it was a crime of passion or a crime for profit. Intent is often used in violent crimes. Anyone who doesn't realize that knows nothing about our criminal justice system. Are you prepared to radically change our criminal justice system?

Old 04-19-2010, 04:00 PM

412 posts, read 384,447 times
Because for a long time local authorities wouldn't prosecute people who committed hate crimes, and therefore it became necessary to make it a federal crime.

Old 04-19-2010, 04:06 PM

11,339 posts, read 13,095,701 times
People do things for different reasons, and if you commit a crime against someone because of bias against the group they are a member of, or are perceived to be a member of, it's an indication that you pose a greater threat to society because you're likely to do it again. The same reason a murder for hire is generally punished more severely than a murder that is the result of jealousy or some other purely personal grudge.

Old 04-19-2010, 04:08 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Holdencaulfield View Post
Why differentiate between first degree and second degree murder? They are both murder. Should it matter if it was premeditated or not? Should it matter if it was a crime of passion or a crime for profit. Intent is often used in violent crimes. Anyone who doesn't realize that knows nothing about our criminal justice system. Are you prepared to radically change our criminal justice system?
I don't know why 1st and 2nd degree murder are different. As far as I am concerned, you either killed someone accidentally or purposefully. So, in my eyes, it should not matter that it was a crime of passion or premeditation. We are supposed to keep our actions in control to SOME degree!

What I think about the HATE crimes is that they are there to get revenge (for the lack of a better word) for the homosexuals and other protected groups. Also, the "hate crime" seems to get attention only one way. Remember the black people it Gena(sp), LA several years ago how beat one (maybe more) white person. Yes, they went to jail, but what did you hear most about - the way the whites were displaying anti-black objects and signage around town. Now, this was in bad taste and wrong in my view, but because whites where beaten by blacks, you didn't hear much about the crime itself.

Charles

Old 04-19-2010, 04:08 PM

49,215 posts, read 21,287,510 times
Hate crime laws are NOt needed. The left passed them as "feel good"easure to show "they care".

Old 04-19-2010, 04:09 PM

17,881 posts, read 17,474,243 times
To me, it further takes the blindfold off of our imperfect system of blind justice by adding political pandering into our criminal justice system.

Last edited by doc1; 04-19-2010 at 04:24 PM..

Old 04-19-2010, 04:12 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jackmccullough View Post
People do things for different reasons, and if you commit a crime against someone because of bias against the group they are a member of, or are perceived to be a member of, it's an indication that you pose a greater threat to society because you're likely to do it again. The same reason a murder for hire is generally punished more severely than a murder that is the result of jealousy or some other purely personal grudge.
Most significant crimes have been shown to be repetitve. I still think it is a way to give some people and groups more protection. To me, the only ones who need special protection are children and animals. They cannot protect themselves to much degree.

Charles

Old 04-19-2010, 04:13 PM

1,038 posts, read 1,151,975 times
Why should we try terrorists differently? Why not just them with murder?

Old 04-19-2010, 04:13 PM

31,765 posts, read 27,193,387 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by cpsTN View Post
I don't know why 1st and 2nd degree murder are different.
That explains much of why you don't get it.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies