Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: Straight white men face more discrimination in American society than any other group.
Agree 82 26.80%
Disagree 210 68.63%
Not sure 14 4.58%
Voters: 306. You may not vote on this poll

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-07-2012, 09:45 AM

2,887 posts, read 2,635,197 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lucario View Post
White men claim discrimination in employment all the time. Whether discrimination is actually present or not is up for debate.
More fascinating is that you forget about those who receive hiring preferences, lower test score requirements, reduced physical requirements, etc. because they are not white men.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-07-2012, 09:46 AM

2,953 posts, read 5,120,110 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by JobZombie View Post
I didn’t have a legacy admission nor knew anybody who did. Another preference unavailable.
That preference is certainly available. And many whites benefit from this Legacy Admission.

You also need to realize that White women also benefit from Affirmative Action as well, so it's not just African Americans. So do you question whether a white woman got the job because of her hard work or because she was just given a free ride? It's really unfair how African Americans are specifically targeted for this suspicion.

Old 03-07-2012, 09:48 AM

2,953 posts, read 5,120,110 times
Quote:
More fascinating is that you forget about those who receive hiring preferences, lower test score requirements, reduced physical requirements, etc. because they are not white men.
How are we receiving hiring preferences when many whites are so quick to point to the statistics that state that we are the most unemployed group in America? You cannot have it both ways. If we aren't working you are griping that we are living off of welfare and WIC, then when you see us happy with a job you try to claim we didn't earn it on the same grounds as everyone else. Just face it, you like to make us miserable.

Old 03-07-2012, 10:16 AM

24,645 posts, read 38,651,238 times
Quote:
I'm a black male, and I WISH there were hiring preferences for us. Usually it's stuff that happened on my wife's job when she submitted a black male temp's resume: "My husband would NEVER allow me to work with a black man." I also don't know anything about lower test scores.

I know that women have had lower physical requirements for firefighting, law enforcement, military - it makes sense in some ways, as women aren't as strong as men - but those standards affect all races, not just whites.

Old 03-07-2012, 11:26 AM

1,615 posts, read 2,575,091 times
well, gay people such as myself get blamed for everything ANY gay person does by some.

i have never heard of this happening to straight white males, they're all thought of as complete individuals.

If a gay guy commits a crime.. then i've actually had people tell me that THAT is the reason why gay people are perceived as such and such

i've never been to a gay pride parade, but i've been told that 'you people and your parades' such and such

and that if i want to be seen differently it's MY responsibility to make sure gay people to such and such..

like i have the time to travel around the country and talk to each gay person and make sure that they behave in a way that i wan them too and that it's my responsibility to do so.

it's like people believe that all gay people have the same lifestyles and live life the same way.

if an individual straight white guy does something you hardly ever here people placing blame upon them as a group, they're all seen as individuals, unlike us.

Old 03-07-2012, 11:32 AM

6,454 posts, read 7,010,414 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lucario View Post
I'm a black male, and I WISH there were hiring preferences for us. Usually it's stuff that happened on my wife's job when she submitted a black male temp's resume: "My husband would NEVER allow me to work with a black man." I also don't know anything about lower test scores.

I know that women have had lower physical requirements for firefighting, law enforcement, military - it makes sense in some ways, as women aren't as strong as men - but those standards affect all races, not just whites.
THis is especially true, and normally overlooked and hardly referenced.

As a FLE applicant it is widely known that the physical requirements are lowered for women, and test scores are as well... and significantly if I may add. And MOST of those applicants in FBI, ICE, SS, etc etc are white women. And yet there is no outrage over any of this.

Old 03-07-2012, 08:43 PM

1,457 posts, read 2,028,065 times
White guilt is a hell of a drug

Quote:
Originally Posted by NYer75 View Post
I held back from calling you what I really meant.
I have concluded you're not capable of thinking for yourself, again...good day.

Old 03-07-2012, 09:12 PM

10,449 posts, read 12,462,379 times
Dear straight white sighted men, get a blind cane and some sunglasses and see how long it takes to find a job, let alone keep one. Then get back to me with the answer to the title thread--"Straight white men face more discrimination in American society than any other group. Agree or disagree?" The answer will be quite obvious.

Also, before anyone criticizes me for anecdotal evidence, I would just like to let it be known that the blind have a 70% unemployment rate.

Old 03-07-2012, 09:35 PM

6,757 posts, read 8,284,458 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by nimchimpsky View Post
Dear straight white sighted men, get a blind cane and some sunglasses and see how long it takes to find a job, let alone keep one. Then get back to me with the answer to the title thread--"Straight white men face more discrimination in American society than any other group. Agree or disagree?" The answer will be quite obvious.

Also, before anyone criticizes me for anecdotal evidence, I would just like to let it be known that the blind have a 70% unemployment rate.
Good point. I know my blind ex-husband could not get hired for much. And he wanted to work in the worst way.

Old 03-07-2012, 09:39 PM

1,569 posts, read 2,044,377 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by nimchimpsky View Post

That's not necessarily discrimination in the context of this thread. I would imagine the number of jobs that blind people can actually do, and are qualified for is very low.

A blind person can't work the vast majority of jobs, especially unskilled labor jobs.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies