Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: Straight white men face more discrimination in American society than any other group.
Agree 82 26.80%
Disagree 210 68.63%
Not sure 14 4.58%
Voters: 306. You may not vote on this poll

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-08-2012, 06:52 AM

10,449 posts, read 12,461,160 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rlarson21 View Post
OK? so are you willing to pay them to live out of taxes for the rest of their lives then? if not employers should be FORCED to not discriminate against blind people if they can do the same job with a reasonable amount of assistance (like technology and such).

i'm assuming that blind people have to eat and pay bills too.

I guess that means that you're FOR this government program then, right?
Exactly. People think it's expensive to accommodate the blind in a workplace setting. What costs more--paying blind people SSI for life, or paying for some adaptive technology? Just one year of SSI checks costs way more than all the training and adaptive technology a blind person could possibly need for a job--even assuming they would need expensive technology like a braille display. And after that year, the SSI collector is still taking away from the economy. After a few weeks, the employed blind person is contributing to the economy. Even if the blind person has to be re-trained and re-accommodated if they find new employment, the costs still don't come close to the cost of giving blind people SSI checks for life.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-08-2012, 06:57 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by GuyNTexas View Post
And do you say these kinds of absurd things in all seven languages or is that reserved for just English?

Look ... 7 languages is impressive .... 140 wpm is too. However .... if you can only proof read at 30 wpm ... that kinda negates the advantage. And if your job requires you to converse in those 7 languages, I'd say you have an extreme advantage over 99.9% of the population. Most jobs however, do not require such skills, therefore fluency in 7 languages provides you no particular advantage.

It's important for people to be confident in themselves and their abilities no matter who they are or what obstacles they have to overcome ... and I have to say that I have always admired the fortitude and courage of blind people who go for it and not let their limitation get in their way .... it's a very strong quality. But so is realism and recognizing that the vast percentage of jobs out there don't require geniuses or the highly or uniquely skilled .... just average intelligence ... and basic capability .. with eyesight being the most important of those skills ... whether you are assembling widgets in a factory or baking cupcakes at a bakery .... eyesight generally offers an extreme advantage. And no matter how skilled in the art, nor how tasty the cupcake ... the blind baker will be slower and less proficient than the sighted person. And if I own a bakery, I want my bakers to not only produce the best tasting cupcakes ... but also produce them at the maximum rate attainable.

If you have ever watched the goings on in a commercial kitchen, you would automatically know that a blind person just could not make it, since most sighted people can't cut it either ... no matter how great they are at cooking meals at home.

R E A L I T Y.
That's why I do jobs where my languages are the advantage--such as being an interpreter. It seems to be the only way to get the vast majority of sighted people to look past my blindness for once.

I read at about the same speed as sighted people, perhaps slightly slower because I only learned braille at 19, whereas most sighted people learned print at age 6 or 7. However, I certainly read braille much faster than I read magnified print, when I used to depend on my eyes for reading. Braille is a much more efficient reading method for blind people, and people with a significant but not total vision loss, than print.

Eyesight is not a skill. Reading, writing, using a computer, talking to customers, being a good service rep on the phone, etc. are skills, and blind people can do all of those. You have to think in terms of if a person can meet the requirements for a task, not in terms of how they are going to do it. What does it matter if the person is reading large print/braille/listening to speech output if they are able to do it as fast and as well as the sighted person using their eyes?

Who said that blind people take longer to bake? I cook in about the same time as sighted people. I just have different methods of checking to see if the cake or burger is ready, etc. But it doesn't take me any longer, and my ability to make edible and palatable food is average, like most people's.

If I ever had watched a blind person use a commercial kitchen--oh wait? I have used one. R E A L I T Y. Did I make the cut to be a chef? No, but like you said, most sighted people don't either. Has nothing to do with me being blind.

Again you are assuming that, in your own words, blind people will be "slower and less proficient". That's not necessarily the case. Some might be, and some might not. You need to evaluate blind people as individual people in individual situations doing individual tasks. You can not assume someone's skill just based on the fact that they might be doing it differently. Generalizing about a group like that is what breeds discrimination.

I'm the blind one here, Guy. I have just an inkling more of an idea what blind people can do than you. Sorry, but in this area, I'm the ultimate authority. You know more about other topics than me, just not this one. Let it go.

I'll leave you with this. Just browse this site for a few minutes: www.nfb.org You'll notice on the first page a heading called "NFB Announces Dr. Jacob Bolotin Awards". Dr. Bolotin was a famous congenitally totally blind cardiopulmonologist in the early 20th century. He was one of the first (but not the only) blind people to get an M.D. and practiced medicine in every way except for surgery. What was that about blind people can't do jobs as proficiently as sighted people?

Last edited by nimchimpsky; 03-08-2012 at 07:13 AM..

Old 03-08-2012, 03:24 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jerseygal4u View Post
If that's the case,how did Gov Patterson become the first blind governor?
Not to mention, several members of the National Federation of the Blind are lawyers, including several of the blind lawyers that sued a law school for not providing the proper accommodations (a reader/scribe or braille) to three blind students taking the LSAT's.

http://nfb.org/Images/nfb/Publicatio...7/bm971208.htm

What was that again, Guy, about blind people not being able to become lawyers?

Last edited by nimchimpsky; 03-08-2012 at 03:38 PM..

Old 03-11-2012, 09:25 PM

21,026 posts, read 22,147,970 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Chango View Post
It may be the most whiny crybaby demographic, but definitely not the most discriminated against.
I agree!

It's funny how some of them don't give a damn about discrimination against anyone else but if they so much as percieve they MIGHT be slighted they whine and cry like two-year-olds...

Since racism is allowed in CD let me add that white guys are all wife beaters and rapists ....and not very bright....and have a very strong entitlement mentality....

Old 03-11-2012, 10:24 PM

13 posts, read 8,425 times
@ tim6624

I am new to city data and i read a couple of your post and i just had to sign up so i could engage in a constructive conversation with you. I have facts to prove what i am saying and i will list them so you can look them up for yourself.

I am a black male of Caribbean descent. I received a 75% academic scholarship to attend a university, 100% academic scholarship to study abroad in Latin America, and recently a 100% academic scholarship to study for IT certificates. I speak multiple languages and have traveled to various places in the world.

So much as your rant about IQ scores, I dont know how valid that is being that i have never tested and none of my friends have tested either. When it comes to statistics, especially samples, you can make them look how ever you want them to

I didn't and dont need affirmative action, but there is a reason why they are used and created. African Americans were totally excluded from society socially and economically, so it was a measure created to help the situation. And African Americans are not the only ones that benefit from them either.
The dirty secret that people dont tell is . The founders of this country knew that after the country was built up they would have a problem with the remaining slaves. Massacring them was valid option, but they knew it would be a horrible stain on American history. So blacks were thrown into the wilderness (no shelter, books, education, etc) and forced to live separated from the civilization that they helped create (without wages). So the plan was and i believe still is for blacks to economically die off (lack of food, shelter, health care etc.)

I Just gained employment at a telecommunications company which is based highly on skill and technical knowledge. There was an entrance test, I scored the highest out of anybody else that took the test including individuals that have been in the industry for years.

I also worked in mid level management for a retail company, where i managed a multimillion dollar store and over 15 employees

In my experience, i have had more issues with white males (especially the ones i managed) because they do not respect the authority that was bestowed upon me. I earned everything i have!!

I also read that you were studying "finance". Are you aware you are studying to enter an industry that is now and has historically enslaved your brethren (whites) as well as everybody else (black,yellow, pink, purple, brown)?

So far as your rant about "what have blacks created" here is a short list of items created by blacks that i am sure you use on a daily basis that if you were lacking, it would negatively impact your quality of life.

air conditioning unit: Frederick M. Jones; July 12, 1949[*]almanac: Benjamin Banneker; Approx 1791[*]auto cut-off switch: Granville T. Woods; January 1,1839[*]auto fishing devise: G. Cook; May 30, 1899[*]automatic gear shift: Richard Spikes; February 28, 1932[*]baby buggy: W.H. Richardson; June 18, 1899[*]bicycle frame: L.R. Johnson; Octber 10, 1899[*]biscuit cutter: A.P. Ashbourne; November 30, 1875[*]blood plasma bag: Charles Drew; Approx. 1945[*]cellular phone: Henry T. Sampson; July 6, 1971[*]chamber commode: T. Elkins; January 3, 1897[*]clothes dryer: G. T. Sampson; June 6, 1862[*]curtain rod: S. R. Scratton; November 30, 1889[*]curtain rod support: William S. Grant; August 4, 1896[*]door knob: O. Dorsey; December 10, 1878[*]door stop: O. Dorsey; December 10, 1878[*]dust pan: Lawrence P. Ray; August 3, 1897[*]egg beater: Willie Johnson; February 5, 1884[*]electric lampbulb: Lewis Latimer; March 21, 1882[*]elevator: Alexander Miles; October 11, 1867[*]eye protector: P. Johnson; November 2, 1880[*]fire escape ladder: J. W. Winters; May 7, 1878[*]fire extinguisher: T. Marshall; October 26, 1872[*]folding bed: L. C. Bailey; July 18, 1899[*]folding chair: Brody & Surgwar; June 11, 1889[*]fountain pen: W. B. Purvis; January 7, 1890[*]furniture caster: O. A. Fisher; 1878[*]gas mask: Garrett Morgan

Last edited by clayvee; 03-11-2012 at 11:27 PM..

Old 03-12-2012, 12:29 AM

@ tim6624

You are complaining about reverse and institutionalized racism against whites, yet you are going into the finance industry? No black or affirmative action used to get people into schools has caused the amount of damage and evil in the world, America, white America, etc than "finance" and "banking" have. Thirty years ago a household (black, white, pink, purple) could make it with one blue collar worker income and live with a great quality of life! What do you think caused that to change? What do you think is the reason the dollar has been devalued 95% in the last 100 years? Who do you think created this mortgage fraud to cheat people out of their homes and hard earned life savings? What do you think creates this fictional "business cycle"? "Banking" and "finance" are the most evil institutions ever know to man and have caused more damage than wars and standing armies. If you dont believe me, do the research your self. One word "fractional reserve lending".

Minorities always get the blame for the ills of society that people like you create. And based off of the propaganda that you so easily spew, you would be a great candidate to work in the callous and evil industries known as "finance" and "Banking".............. lol It is crazy, you are part of the greatest evil known to man and dont even know it, and to make it worse you pass the blame off to other people..

"If the American people ever allow private banks to control the issue of their currency, first by inflation, then by deflation, the banks and corporations that will grow up around them will deprive the people of all property until their children wake up homeless on the continent their Fathers conquered" - Thomas Jefferson (your founding father)

I am open to any of your responses, and anything and everything i have stated i can thoroughly back up with documented facts, not sample statistics.......

Old 03-12-2012, 02:39 AM

1,303 posts, read 1,097,972 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by clayvee View Post
@ tim6624

I am new to city data and i read a couple of your post and i just had to sign up so i could engage in a constructive conversation with you. I have facts to prove what i am saying and i will list them so you can look them up for yourself.

I am a black male of Caribbean descent. I received a 75% academic scholarship to attend a university, 100% academic scholarship to study abroad in Latin America, and recently a 100% academic scholarship to study for IT certificates. I speak multiple languages and have traveled to various places in the world.

So much as your rant about IQ scores, I dont know how valid that is being that i have never tested and none of my friends have tested either. When it comes to statistics, especially samples, you can make them look how ever you want them to

I didn't and dont need affirmative action, but there is a reason why they are used and created. African Americans were totally excluded from society socially and economically, so it was a measure created to help the situation. And African Americans are not the only ones that benefit from them either.
The dirty secret that people dont tell is . The founders of this country knew that after the country was built up they would have a problem with the remaining slaves. Massacring them was valid option, but they knew it would be a horrible stain on American history. So blacks were thrown into the wilderness (no shelter, books, education, etc) and forced to live separated from the civilization that they helped create (without wages). So the plan was and i believe still is for blacks to economically die off (lack of food, shelter, health care etc.)

I Just gained employment at a telecommunications company which is based highly on skill and technical knowledge. There was an entrance test, I scored the highest out of anybody else that took the test including individuals that have been in the industry for years.

I also worked in mid level management for a retail company, where i managed a multimillion dollar store and over 15 employees

In my experience, i have had more issues with white males (especially the ones i managed) because they do not respect the authority that was bestowed upon me. I earned everything i have!!

I also read that you were studying "finance". Are you aware you are studying to enter an industry that is now and has historically enslaved your brethren (whites) as well as everybody else (black,yellow, pink, purple, brown)?

So far as your rant about "what have blacks created" here is a short list of items created by blacks that i am sure you use on a daily basis that if you were lacking, it would negatively impact your quality of life.

air conditioning unit: Frederick M. Jones; July 12, 1949[*]almanac: Benjamin Banneker; Approx 1791[*]auto cut-off switch: Granville T. Woods; January 1,1839[*]auto fishing devise: G. Cook; May 30, 1899[*]automatic gear shift: Richard Spikes; February 28, 1932[*]baby buggy: W.H. Richardson; June 18, 1899[*]bicycle frame: L.R. Johnson; Octber 10, 1899[*]biscuit cutter: A.P. Ashbourne; November 30, 1875[*]blood plasma bag: Charles Drew; Approx. 1945[*]cellular phone: Henry T. Sampson; July 6, 1971[*]chamber commode: T. Elkins; January 3, 1897[*]clothes dryer: G. T. Sampson; June 6, 1862[*]curtain rod: S. R. Scratton; November 30, 1889[*]curtain rod support: William S. Grant; August 4, 1896[*]door knob: O. Dorsey; December 10, 1878[*]door stop: O. Dorsey; December 10, 1878[*]dust pan: Lawrence P. Ray; August 3, 1897[*]egg beater: Willie Johnson; February 5, 1884[*]electric lampbulb: Lewis Latimer; March 21, 1882[*]elevator: Alexander Miles; October 11, 1867[*]eye protector: P. Johnson; November 2, 1880[*]fire escape ladder: J. W. Winters; May 7, 1878[*]fire extinguisher: T. Marshall; October 26, 1872[*]folding bed: L. C. Bailey; July 18, 1899[*]folding chair: Brody & Surgwar; June 11, 1889[*]fountain pen: W. B. Purvis; January 7, 1890[*]furniture caster: O. A. Fisher; 1878[*]gas mask: Garrett Morgan
You seem like an intelligent person, I'll address your post point by point.

1. I am not impressed by your "academic scholarships" if they were awarded them in an American university. If that is the case, I can almost guarantee at least 1 poor White male with a more impressive application than yours was passed on in order for that to happen. I'm sure the White Guilt Corps at your college enjoy the "enriching diversity" you offer. To them, you are an object...something to point at and exclaim "aren't I so tolerant?" Just like the White Guilt Corps that donated big $ to take down "Kony". These people are blinded by guilt and cognitive dissonance. You seem intelligent and I'm sure you would have earned a scholarship regardless, but there is a decent chance you are "affirming" some sort of action at your school.

2. I am a man of science. If you do not accept IQ testing, that is your prerogative. I accept the G factor and a significant genetic basis for modern day intelligence testing. Based on comparative analysis of their civilizations, the scores by group seem to meet the eye test.

3. You claim you do not "need" affirmative action. That doesn't matter in the U.S.A., affirmative action is institutionalized and a cloud of suspicion will always hang over your head wherever you work, which might explain all of the White male's giving you problems. They probably don't respect how you got where you are, whether or not you benefited from AA or not, that is the perception.

4. Amongst your people, your skills and training are rare. If you aren't fibbing, I am quite impressed by your skills/experience. I usually refer to people like you as "outliers". For example, Larry Bird was an "outlier", if you catch my drift.

5. I am highly aware of the sickness known as the banking industry. I will be gaining knowledge and skills required to trade stocks from home, then I will work for myself, instead of being a corporate slave/sheep. I have a nice amount saved already (from my military days) and my wife-to-be is loaded. I am not a sheep. I understand the idiocy that is paper money which is not backed by commodities. I understand the international banking cartel is bleeding Western Civilization dry. I will learn this corrupt system and profit from it. I am an evil White male, it's what we do.

6. As for your inventors list: I checked the first and last inventions on your list and I am sorry to break it to you, but Willis Carrier created the Air Conditioning Unit in 1902, not Frederick Jones in 1949. Also, Garrett Morgan did not invent the gas mask, a variety of types were invented by many White inventors prior to 1914, the first iteration was invented in 1847 actually by Lewis Haslett. As for all of the "inventors" listed in the middle, I will take your word for it, but based on the first 2 I checked (and have time for), I'm guessing at MOST 25% of those are correct. I will check more out tomorrow and report back.

Old 03-12-2012, 02:43 AM

1,303 posts, read 1,097,972 times
Quote:
@ tim6624

You are complaining about reverse and institutionalized racism against whites, yet you are going into the finance industry? No black or affirmative action used to get people into schools has caused the amount of damage and evil in the world, America, white America, etc than "finance" and "banking" have. Thirty years ago a household (black, white, pink, purple) could make it with one blue collar worker income and live with a great quality of life! What do you think caused that to change? What do you think is the reason the dollar has been devalued 95% in the last 100 years? Who do you think created this mortgage fraud to cheat people out of their homes and hard earned life savings? What do you think creates this fictional "business cycle"? "Banking" and "finance" are the most evil institutions ever know to man and have caused more damage than wars and standing armies. If you dont believe me, do the research your self. One word "fractional reserve lending".

Minorities always get the blame for the ills of society that people like you create. And based off of the propaganda that you so easily spew, you would be a great candidate to work in the callous and evil industries known as "finance" and "Banking".............. lol It is crazy, you are part of the greatest evil known to man and dont even know it, and to make it worse you pass the blame off to other people..

"If the American people ever allow private banks to control the issue of their currency, first by inflation, then by deflation, the banks and corporations that will grow up around them will deprive the people of all property until their children wake up homeless on the continent their Fathers conquered" - Thomas Jefferson (your founding father)

I am open to any of your responses, and anything and everything i have stated i can thoroughly back up with documented facts, not sample statistics.......
I actually never complained about "reverse discrimination". There is no such thing as "reverse" discrimination. The fact that you refer to it in your post leads me to believe you are just another one of the sheeple following the approved "script" that our leaders force upon us. Those with intellect and desirable skills will not be affected by discrimination. I feel sorry for the poor White kids who are passed over by colleges because of their skin color. Either way, the cream always rises to the top, whether we are talking sports or science.

I agree with you 100% regarding the guilt of the bankers and what they have done to this country. I place more blame on the corporate masters who control our domestic and foreign policy more than the bankers, but I feel you. Spread the word. Audit the fed. Promote free markets and a currency backed by gold or another valuable commodity.

Old 03-12-2012, 04:29 AM

At the end of the day, they dont respect my authority because they were raised not to. I truly believe that blacks and whites need to be re-segregated without any interference from white authorities to sabotage anything (which has been done in the past). Before DE-segregation, black crime, children being born out of wedlock were rare cases. Black business were also around and catered to the community, since De-segregation did not happen under mutual respect, all of those gains were lost. Violence is always used against minorities to give into what the tyrannical government wants ex.Bombing of black wall street, assassinations and deportations of black leaders that have some sort of growth program. The government wants weak dependent people so they can be used, abused, and flushed like tissue. (I believe that average white citizen could care less, and just want to live their lives and not be bothered)

I am not that unique, i have tons of friends that share the same attributes and have accomplished even greater things than me. When you say that whites are being discriminated because of the color of thier skin, that my friend is called "reverse racism" i dont know what you call it, maybe you should do a sample poll of whites and ask them if that qualifies.

I dont hate anybody, i feel it would just be better for both people (especially for blacks) to tend to their own with out any interference. There will always be racism because after reading your posts, you find fault when they go to college, get work, rob, hang in the hood, etc. So the best alternative for everyone is to re segregate because anything else would be genocide, which i am sure a lot of your comrades would love to occur.

Old 03-12-2012, 08:06 AM

17,291 posts, read 29,399,972 times
Quote:
At the end of the day, they dont respect my authority because they were raised not to. I truly believe that blacks and whites need to be re-segregated without any interference from white authorities to sabotage anything (which has been done in the past). Before DE-segregation, black crime, children being born out of wedlock were rare cases. Black business were also around and catered to the community, since De-segregation did not happen under mutual respect, all of those gains were lost. Violence is always used against minorities to give into what the tyrannical government wants ex.Bombing of black wall street, assassinations and deportations of black leaders that have some sort of growth program. The government wants weak dependent people so they can be used, abused, and flushed like tissue. (I believe that average white citizen could care less, and just want to live their lives and not be bothered)

I am not that unique, i have tons of friends that share the same attributes and have accomplished even greater things than me. When you say that whites are being discriminated because of the color of thier skin, that my friend is called "reverse racism" i dont know what you call it, maybe you should do a sample poll of whites and ask them if that qualifies.

I dont hate anybody, i feel it would just be better for both people (especially for blacks) to tend to their own with out any interference. There will always be racism because after reading your posts, you find fault when they go to college, get work, rob, hang in the hood, etc. So the best alternative for everyone is to re segregate because anything else would be genocide, which i am sure a lot of your comrades would love to occur.

I'm definitely not suggesting that white males, especially white heterosexual males (notice i left out "Christian" because Jewish people are often represented in professional and leadership capacities 10x ++ vs. their representation in the general population)... are "disadvantaged."

Are there some instances where being a white male is a disadvantage? Yes. It's all situational. Is it close on balance to what blacks deal with in general? No way.

You also shouldn't blame your inability to get "respect" from white males on "what they were raised to believe." Perhaps (and I say this nicely), you were not an effectual leader. You had a bunch of alpha males, and you never asserted your authority appropriately to put your subordinates in their place. In other words, use some stick next time, instead of just carrots. I can recall my black professors and teachers being some of my toughest growing up. I never crossed them, because they seemed to have a lock on laying down the law when necessary.

However, the call for "resegregation" is stupid. First, segregation was not in place in all parts of the nation, so I'm not sure how desegregation was correlative with the subsequent ills discussed, which show up in all areas of the country. Most scholars place the development of those ills on a number of factors, none of which have ever been "desegregation."

Admittedly, though, desegregation CAN be said to have killed a lot of smaller black enterprise in the South, due to the competition from larger white businesses that now had access to the black community. Today, however, a lot of inner city black communities are served by NO ONE - white OR black. Only adventurous and risk tolerant immigrants appear to take gambles opening up in inner city black communities. A perfect opportunity to open up businesses in what are defacto segregated areas anyway.

This nation cannot continue to exist with separatist attitudes from anyone - white or black. Everyone is in the boat together. Especially with blacks leading some MAJOR players in the finance world - including American Express, Fannie Mae, etc. Oh, and not to mention all branches of the government - the days of "it's not our problem" or "we didn't help make the problems" are over.

Power and money corrupts. It's not a race thing. It's a human nature thing.

Last edited by TriMT7; 03-12-2012 at 08:53 AM..
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies