Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: Straight white men face more discrimination in American society than any other group.
Agree 82 26.80%
Disagree 210 68.63%
Not sure 14 4.58%
Voters: 306. You may not vote on this poll

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-06-2012, 04:28 PM

9,007 posts, read 13,836,307 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by AnUnidentifiedMale View Post
Please don't play dumb (even if it comes naturally to you). A significant percentage of Americans believe that homosexuality is immoral or should be discouraged. Their beliefs affect how they treat others.

What's that have to do with anything?

No. In fact, my observation is that there's a lot more interracial mixing in gay relationships than in straight relationships. I'm sure the statistics bear this out.
Maybe,I would love to see stats. Everytime I see gay couples they usually aren't the same race,but that's in Nyc,which isn't representative of the whole Usa.

What I'm trying to say is that where is the discrimination coming from?
Has a gay guy been denied the right to eat at a restaurant?
If he doesn't say anything,how would someone know he is gay?

Black people can't hide being black. Gay white men can,we see it all the time with the Republican party. As a matter of fact,it seems gay(closet) men attack gay men.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-06-2012, 04:35 PM

5,864 posts, read 4,978,549 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by AnUnidentifiedMale View Post
I understand what you're saying. Tribalism heavily influences how we interact with each other. In fact, I can imagine that the answer to my question about discrimination against straight white men may depend on where those straight white men live and work. If they're in the minority, I can totally see how they could believe that they're being discriminated against - and they may be right.
That's the crux of the matter right here. As a straight "white" male I don't feel particularly discriminated against I feel that on the balance of things I have more or less been given a fair shake in everything I've attempted. However I can see where discrimination against a white male could come into play depending on the location we are talking about.

Humans tend to be "tribal" animals by nature. Minorities (and I'm using the word in it's strictest sense of one who is not in the majority, not in the PC term meaning "non-white") are always cast a suspicious eye anywhere. In an affluent mostly "white" area a black or Hispanic may be discriminated against even if it's subtly. By the same token a "white" person in a heavily Mexican or Asian community will be looked as an "other" may receive some form of discrimination. Those who are thought of as "not us" always get the short end of the stick. This goes beyond racial lines into cultural, religious, and class status. For the most part people like to be around people of a similar nature and outsiders always have a hard time.

As an aside these threads are a bit tiresome. I mean what's the point? I always get the suspicion it's for a good laugh. I mean the several of the first posts where mocking and "are you kidding me" type of posts. There's always wild assumption and exaggeration wrought throughout these type of threads. No, as a straight male of European ancestry I'm not the type of person who throughout history has received the brunt of persecution or discrimination but that doesn't mean that myself or some people like me haven't been persecuted or discriminated against at some point.

I feel as though there's this generalization that goes on here and throughout society that a white man can never get the short end of the stick and we're all part of this elite good old boys network that operates to keep those not like us down. This is a big and diverse country and just because males of European ancestry are the majority in terms of numbers and the holders of the most wealth doesn't mean anything to me. I come from a blue collar working class background and I'm a solo income earner trying to raise a family on 40,000 a year. I'm not rich by any means and as a white man I've never derived any benefit from my skin coloring or my gender. Please don't assume some vast network of connections keeps me afloat and never assume that it's impossible for me to be the recipient of discrimination.

Old 03-06-2012, 04:38 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Who?Me?! View Post
Again, if this was true , which it's not, then it is good....they would know what women and other minorities have been going through since time began.
So a man should be punished for his fathers sins? Also there's no proof that anyone of my ancestry ever directly discriminated against anyone. People like you are vile and disgusting human beings. For you to openly admit that discrimination against anyone is "good" is abhorrent and you are a piece of cow feces.

Old 03-06-2012, 04:42 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Who?Me?! View Post
No, it's not about revenge or rage....it's about SOME people finding out how it feels to be discriminated against....that is a GOOD thing, gives them a little more perspective on what discrimination consists of and the effects of discrimination...maybe the next time THEY feel like discriminating against someone they'll stop and think...maybe.
What if that someone learning your "wise" life lesson has never discriminated against anyone? Or are people evil inherently because of their skin coloring and must be "taught a lesson?" I probably do need to learn more lessons as I progress through life but one thing I'm dead certain of brother is I sure as hell am not going to learn any damn thing from you.

Old 03-06-2012, 04:51 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by cap1717 View Post
totally disagree, but understand how it can seem like that for some of them, having been accustomed to unusual privilidge(sp?) for so long.
What privileges? Name one that I personally am "accustomed to?" I'd love to hear this. I am not "accustomed" to anything but relying on myself. I'm the son of a truck driver and a factory worker. I haven't received a single thing because of my race or my gender. Where was my "long accustomed privilege" when I was dead broke, unemployed and had my new bride look at me and tell me she was pregnant? I had no college education and home was a thousand miles away.

What did I do? Did I fall back on my "white privilege?" No I went to work at a very dangerous state prison making 11 bucks an hour working 12 hour shifts because that was the highest paying job I could get within 100 miles of me. I netted 19 grand that year and the year after. I've worked my way up off the mat and I've come from nothing to where 40 grand a year feels like 100 grand. I may never have been discriminated against but I sure as hell haven't be privileged.

Old 03-06-2012, 04:59 PM

26,680 posts, read 28,665,061 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jerseygal4u View Post
Maybe,I would love to see stats. Everytime I see gay couples they usually aren't the same race,but that's in Nyc,which isn't representative of the whole Usa.
You said you can't tell if someone's gay unless they tell you, so how are you able to make that statement? Are you going up to every male couple and asking them if they're gay?

A gay friend of mine was just commenting recently on how many interracial gay couples he sees. I sure see a lot more interracial friendships in the gay world than I do in the straight world.

Quote:
What I'm trying to say is that where is the discrimination coming from?
Has a gay guy been denied the right to eat at a restaurant?
Probably so. But regardless, there are other forms of discrimination - in the workplace, in schools, in rental housing, etc.

Quote:
If he doesn't say anything,how would someone know he is gay?
So you're saying that if someone says out loud that he's gay, and he then loses his job, it's his fault and he should have stayed quiet. Got it.

Quote:
Black people can't hide being black. Gay white men can,we see it all the time with the Republican party.
I don't know why you're making that comparison. That's not what this discussion is about. It sounds like you've got a real problem with gay people and so you're taking this opportunity to attack them.

Old 03-06-2012, 05:08 PM

2,953 posts, read 5,119,372 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jerseygal4u View Post
I don't understand.
Regarding gay white men,how are they discriminated against for being gay?

If a white gay guy walks down the street,how would someone automatically know you are gay unless you tell them?

Its not the same as a black person who can't hide their color.

Btw,don't white gays stick with white gays and blacks stick with black gays?
There is a lot of racial discrimination in the gay community amongst males. A young black gay male told me that he has been told so many times by gay white man that they are not interested in him for some of the most racist reasons.

Old 03-06-2012, 05:10 PM

2,953 posts, read 5,119,372 times
Those who claim white men are more discriminated against than black males say this as a way to challenge the legitimacy of racism that black men face. It's really just a silly game they play.

Old 03-06-2012, 05:23 PM

3,948 posts, read 4,305,104 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by nyanna View Post
Those who claim white men are more discriminated against than black males say this as a way to challenge the legitimacy of racism that black men face. It's really just a silly game they play.
That seems to be a growing trend. I can't say that every person who wonders about this is trying cover up the racism against non-Whites, but I do get that feeling a lot. Basically, if people start making it seem like White people are getting discriminated against then it is an attempt to balance racism and discrimination. It's like a "You're doing it to us now, so all those years we did it to you are payback."

My solution is to treat all discrimination and racism the same. Stamp it all out. Be intolerant of any of it. Don't give one group any more special treatment than the other.

Old 03-06-2012, 05:32 PM

1,569 posts, read 2,043,977 times
Everybody faces discrimination. I'm as annoyed by white dudes complaining about how affirmative action is the reason they didn't get into college as I am by black dudes complaining racism is why they got pulled over by the cops (Hey, look at that, I associate whites with college, and blacks with the cops - see, we're all just racist, can't be helped).
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies