Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 04-21-2010, 10:52 PM

24,620 posts, read 28,282,339 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by KsStorm View Post
Personally, I just think Americans are getting more cold,cruel & selfish by the year.
Hey, not all of us, but I could name a few.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-21-2010, 10:52 PM

90,297 posts, read 120,759,995 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jerseygal4u View Post
Every one takes what I post out of context. I am specifically talking about useless surgury and tests. For example,an end stage renal disease patient who is 100,has dementia and whose fam wants physical therepy when she hasn't walked in 2 years. At this point comfort measures should be given instead of causing more harm
Physical therapy can provide comfort measures as well. Surely you are familiar with bedsores from lying in one place all the time? Surely you are familiar with the term range of motion?

Old 04-21-2010, 10:54 PM

5,906 posts, read 5,737,486 times
Quote:
Really? Go check it out yourself allnurses.com. you can't be a nurse because you would definately know that we have to do paperwork in addition to passing meds etc whatever the public thinks we do. Don't do paerwork,the facility doesn't get paid.
And some of us try mightily to decipher the barely literate and often incomplete henscratching of some nurses in order to do our jobs so that EVERYONE in the facility receives a paycheck, including nurses. No, I'm not in billing. Not sure where you got the impression that I'm a nurse. If I were one, I'd actually make sure the paperwork end of things was done correctly...something rather hard to come by at some facilities.

I have already checked out allnurses.com. So have a few of my RN friends and associates, and they all got quite a laugh out of it. I guess they're a few steps above the caliber of nurses who post there.

At any rate, let's get back on topic.

First you state you work in peds, then it's a NH. One, the other, or both?

Why does caring for the elderly (while grossly misrepresenting case scenarios) upset you more than the many acts of medical futility carried out on babies of extreme prematurity?

In many cases, neither type of patient will receive a 'cure' or high quality of life after intervention, but there's also no guarantee when treating patients between those two extremes.

Actually caring for patients and not viewing them as bothersome interruptions in one's day makes a difference. I highly advise it.

Old 04-21-2010, 10:56 PM

9,007 posts, read 13,839,675 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by KsStorm View Post
Personally, I just think Americans are getting more cold,cruel & selfish by the year.
I don't understand why people don't think it cruel to do a code on a frail 98 year old end stage cancer client over and over again. So we do a code,breaking her ribs in the process causing pain, after saving her,sending her to a hospital,she comes back to the nursing home but this time with mrsa infected bed sores, and still in pain

Old 04-21-2010, 11:02 PM

5,906 posts, read 5,737,486 times
Quote:
I don't understand why people don't think it cruel to do a code on a frail 98 year old end stage cancer client over and over again. So we do a code,breaking her ribs in the process causing pain, after saving her,sending her to a hospital,she comes back to the nursing home but this time with mrsa infected bed sores, and still in pain
Luckily, that is not typical for 98-year-olds with end-stage cancer (wasn't your last scenario 'end stage renal disease'? LOL).

Quite a few of them have a DNR on file. More patients might have one if their physicians could get reimbursed for that office visit while the patient is still lucid...but that's another thread.

Old 04-21-2010, 11:03 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by rayneinspain View Post
And some of us try mightily to decipher the barely literate henscratching of some nurses in order to do our jobs so that EVERYONE in the facility receives a paycheck, including nurses. No, I'm not in billing. Not sure where you got the impression that I'm a nurse.

I have already checked out allnurses.com. So have a few of my RN friends and associates, and they all got quite a laugh out of it. I guess they're a few steps above the caliber of nurses who post there.

At any rate, let's get back on topic.

First you state you work in peds, then it's a NH. One, the other, or both?

Why does caring for the elderly (while grossly misrepresenting case scenarios) upset you more than the many acts of medical futility carried out on babies of extreme prematurity?

In many cases, neither type of patient will receive a 'cure' or high quality of life after intervention, but there's also no guarantee when treating patients between those two extremes.

Actually caring for patients and not viewing them as bothersome interruptions in one's day makes a difference. I highly advise it.
No one ever stated bothersome. Listen nurses have a choice in where they work. If you chose to be stuck in one spot that's your business. As I stated nurses can work in multple setting and if they don't like it they can move on to anther setting or work both simutanously. I have worked with kids that were born at 24 weeks and they are doing well,so it wasn't futile as you suggest. Your aren't even a nurse so I'm sure the nurses on allnurses know much much more than you will. Is that why almost 80% of nurses were for healthcare reform?

Old 04-21-2010, 11:03 PM

24,620 posts, read 28,282,339 times
Quote:
Interesting, when someone questions a scenario that you post, you come up with a different one that matches your agenda.

Pretty funny and entertaining from where I sit.

Old 04-21-2010, 11:04 PM

Quote:
Well, you don't want PT, what do you expect?

Old 04-21-2010, 11:10 PM

Let's see. I try to make a 98 year old. Who hasn't walked in two years due to arthritis and I get her up and she falls,giving her a concussion. Gets who gets sued? Even nurses have to carry malpractice insurance. No sorry I can't risk my license for that.? As I stated, are you made that you never made it to nursing school to make the big. Bucks? Anyway I know you are a liar because you cannot look at nurses notes other than docs and nurses and pt and ot and (social workers depending on facility),because that is a hipaa violation

Old 04-21-2010, 11:12 PM

Quote:
Let's see. I try to make a 98 year old. Who hasn't walked in two years due to arthritis and I get her up and she falls,giving her a concussion. Gets who gets sued? Even nurses have to carry malpractice insurance. No sorry I can't risk my license for that.? As I stated, are you made that you never made it to nursing school to make the big. Bucks? Anyway I know you are a liar because you cannot look at nurses notes other than docs and nurses and pt and ot and (social workers depending on facility),because that is a hipaa violation
Who are you calling a liar?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies