Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-20-2010, 09:54 AM

22,229 posts, read 17,847,737 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jadex View Post
Do you not like making your own choices? Just wondering
I am against your choices, costing other people. This move would obviously help lower the overall cost of health care. But, a downside would be, less profits to the BP drug sellers.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-20-2010, 09:56 AM

1,422 posts, read 2,302,640 times
Quote:
Yeah you arent alone its not just eating

Choice and freedom is quickly flying out the window. Next it will be something else that someone finds harmful to us.

Heck I think they should take away all the cars look how many people they kill a year
That's a rather over-simplified comparison

The problem is that despite food labelling MANY people still have little to no concept of how much "hidden" salt they are consuming. Many people just grab processed food and never even glance at the ingredients. As a result people ARE consuming too much salt on a long term basis and that can lead to long term health problems. And long term health care costs.

If the majority of people WERE smart enough to educate themselves about the dangers of excess salt in their diet then the processed food manufacturers would be selling far fewer TV dinners.

Unfortunately most people are NOT smart enough and the food manufacturers know this, take advantage of it and continue to produce food with minimal nutritional value and unhealthy levels of ingredients that are actively detrimental to ones health.

The Govt isn't banning salt.

It's simply seeking to rein in the food manufacturers who would happily see your blood pressure rise and your health suffer while they take your money.

Old 04-20-2010, 10:07 AM

3,079 posts, read 1,116,772 times
Personally, as someone who suffers from high blood pressure, and who has heart disease running rampant in their family's medical history, I wouldn't be opposed to this. Like others have already stated, add the amount of salt you want when you either cook the food or sit down to eat it.

What I would also like to see is restaurants being required to list not only the caloric count, but also the sodium levels of the foods they serve. It is very difficult for anyone to choose to eat healthy when most choices at restaurants are loaded with salt, fat, sugar, MSG, and other chemicals. And choosing healthier options (like eating organic products) is usually more expensive.

Thankfully, some companies have already taken the initiative to reduce the amount of sodium in their products. But the choices are still very limited.

Old 04-20-2010, 10:22 AM

19,226 posts, read 15,314,292 times
Default FDA plans to limit amount of salt allowed in processed foods for health reasons

The FDA had better steer clear of my Boston Baked Beans, or "there's gonna be war"!

Salt pork - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

YouTube - good times , bad times (rolling stones)

Old 04-20-2010, 10:25 AM

3,436 posts, read 2,948,111 times
Maybe the government should allow food companies to use vegetable tainted with feces and bacteria, road kill and old spoiled meat too because you know any goverment regulation is taking away our freedom. How about we just get rid of all laws, traffic lights, stop signs, licensing...afterall we should have the freedom to drive or fly a plane with or without a license, right? If I want to walk into a street of oncoming 45 mile an hour traffic, I should be able to do this right? If I want to abuse my child or sell lice infested clothing, fish with parasites in it and milk contaminated with mad cow disease, I should be free to do so right?

Sorry but the OP is ridiculous...if you want to add salt to your food, you are FREE to do so.

Old 04-20-2010, 10:28 AM

19,226 posts, read 15,314,292 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by London Girl View Post

The problem is that despite food labelling MANY people still have little to no concept of how much "hidden" salt they are consuming. Many people just grab processed food and never even glance at the ingredients. As a result people ARE consuming too much salt on a long term basis and that can lead to long term health problems. And long term health care costs.

If the majority of people WERE smart enough to educate themselves about the dangers of excess salt in their diet then the processed food manufacturers would be selling far fewer TV dinners.

Unfortunately most people are NOT smart enough and the food manufacturers know this, take advantage of it and continue to produce food with minimal nutritional value and unhealthy levels of ingredients that are actively detrimental to ones health.

It's simply seeking to rein in the food manufacturers who would happily see your blood pressure rise and your health suffer while they take your money.
If the Corporations, on their own, reduced sodium by replacing the loss with potassium, it would be the intelligent thing to do.

(Potassium chloride/sodium chloride, 50-50)

But, alas, neither Big Government nor Big Business has any brains.

Old 04-20-2010, 11:23 AM

12,867 posts, read 14,908,341 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by London Girl View Post

that is exactly the problem with liberals yet again. they see the people as NOT QUITE SMART ENOUGH TO FIGURE THINGS OUT FOR THEMSELVES and so nanny government actually needs to step in.

that arrogance is going to cost liberals/ progressives on election day.

Old 04-20-2010, 11:33 AM

15,088 posts, read 13,444,381 times
Quote:
The Food and Drug Administration is planning an unprecedented effort to gradually reduce the salt consumed each day by Americans, saying that less sodium in everything from soup to nuts would prevent thousands of deaths from hypertension and heart disease. The initiative, to be launched this year, would eventually lead to the first legal limits on the amount of salt allowed in food products.

washingtonpost.com

Another example of gov we know whats best for you. You make your own choices pfft you arent smart enough

Wake up people seriously
Yeah, cuz it's so much better when food manufacturers just make those decisions for you - I bet you love those lethal trans fats that they sell to you in all of the processed corporate crap that they call "food" in grocery stores.

Judging from the way most Americans eat, you are DEFINITELY NOT SMART ENOUGH to know what's good for you. And then we wonder why various chronic diseases are so prevalent that are costing us so much on health care...

Old 04-20-2010, 11:43 AM

3,436 posts, read 2,948,111 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by floridasandy View Post
that is exactly the problem with liberals yet again. they see the people as NOT QUITE SMART ENOUGH TO FIGURE THINGS OUT FOR THEMSELVES and so nanny government actually needs to step in.

that arrogance is going to cost liberals/ progressives on election day.

What is so wrong with having regulations on food? If there were no regulations at all, most likely they would all end up going out of business since people would be dropping dead left and right. You are for free trade, right? Do you seriously think that businesses should be able to trade with no regulations, even if people are dieing or in poor health because of their practices?

People can figure things out but we can't all be experts on everything, nor do we have the time, money or equipment to make sure our food is safe before we eat it. Sure, we can read the ingredients but I don't think most peope monitor their salt intake that closesly. If so, we wouldn't have so many cases of high blood-pressure. As a working mother, I would like to purchase some prepared food without so much salt in it. If you like salt, again, you are FREE to add it. Everything the government does is not solely to take away freedom. If this were done under the previous administration, I doubt you'd be so upset over it.

Old 04-20-2010, 12:21 PM

4,049 posts, read 5,029,983 times
I think that instead of banning or limiting salt in food, they should change govt subsidies that currently empower crap-food markets and cripple health-food markets.
http://www.pcrm.org/magazine/gm07autumn/images/pyramid.jpg (broken link)
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies