Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-20-2010, 02:00 PM

6,084 posts, read 6,042,944 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wayneb View Post
He most likely said 1000mg, or 1 gram, there are 454 grams to a pound, a kg is about 2.2 pounds. If your doctor is restricting your sodium that much you will have trouble finding foods other than fruits and vegetables that you can eat at a normal supermarket.
You might be right.

I sure do feel the difference ever since I made some lifestyle changes.

I have virtually eliminated junk food from my diet.

I buy chips every now and then but I make sure they have more potassium than sodium as potassium is a sodium neutralizer.

High sodium along with fructose corn syrup added to a sedentary lifestyle is a biaaatch!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-20-2010, 02:01 PM

3,436 posts, read 2,948,742 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by nmnita View Post
this entire move to control sodium is an issue presented by liberals, that is why. Sure, we know sodium can add to heart trouble and high blood pressure but it alone does not cause either desease and people today are living longer, healthier and more active lives than ever before.

As for obesity and other conditions getting out of control, look at the sugar added to everything even some old fashion cold cereals and how about kids spending most of their waking hours in front of the TV or computer when not in school: what happened to mandatory PE in all grades, K through 12. In fact even in college we had to take a couple of units of PE. I think every semester in lower devision. What happened to the 2 recess scheduled at school daily plus plenty of time at lunch to play kick ball, hop scotch, dodge ball or teather ball for starters? What about all the foods with fillers and all the prepared ready to eat entrees and snacks on the market? Do most liberals shy away from purchasing these things? I think not. My degree is in foods and nuitrition (I admit I graduated 200 years ago) but I still keep up. No, sodium isn't the number one thing we should be concerned about, beleive me...plus the governmnet needs to stay out of our lives, we do not need a nanny state..we are adults, and are able we make our own choices.
That answers it (the bolded). If this initiave came from Conservatives, people would not be all upset over this. BTW, you can make your own choice. If you want salt, sprinkle more on. All of the things you mentioned with regards to fitness and poor choices show that we are NOT capable of making good choices since obesity is on the rise. I make good choices, no one in my immediate family is obese and we are active.

I still don't see a problem with the amount of salt that goes into prepared foods being regulated. It is a good thing no matter what side of the isle you're on. No one has banned salt or taken it off the shelves, you are free to use as much as you want. When I cook, I use salt but not as much as I personally would like to because I know that some people don't like it as much because of taste or health reasons. I don't see what is so bad about making food companies show the same respect.

Old 04-20-2010, 02:03 PM

19,226 posts, read 15,318,165 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by pollyrobin View Post
The FDA in all it's wisdom, does not think folks have access to a salt shaker - every salt addict has one
Any well trained FDA agent can tell whether you got salt in your shaker just by putting a small amount under his tongue.

Then, you're busted!

Old 04-20-2010, 02:05 PM

3,079 posts, read 1,117,067 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Loveshiscountry View Post
If salt is bad for someone they should take personal responsibility and look out for themselves instead of being babysat. Take the extra 5 minutes to do some research if it means something. I purchase products that advertises low sodium. Zatarans is one product. Natures Own Bread does not contain HFCS and says so on the package.

Two things learned about products in less than a couple minutes. Maybe if people wouldn't smoke so much pot they'd get off their butts and fend for themselves.

btw Using a vaporizer to smoke pot is much better for you than a joint or a water pipe.

That's three things learned
I DO monitor what I buy/eat, but as another poster stated, with all the HIDDEN SODIUM in processed foods, it is very difficult, at times. And it would be nice to be able to go out to eat and enjoy what I'm eating, knowing exactly what I'm consuming.

And I quit smoking pot years ago!!

Old 04-20-2010, 02:06 PM

3,436 posts, read 2,948,742 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by pollyrobin View Post
The FDA in all it's wisdom, does not think folks have access to a salt shaker - every salt addict has one
It is the wing-nuts who are against this who seem to think there will be no more salt shakers. They are not trying to control how much salt you put on their food but they are going to control how much salt goes in your food before you buy it. What is the big deal?

Old 04-20-2010, 02:06 PM

13,608 posts, read 21,391,107 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Houston3 View Post
They had better leave my pepper alone....
Give them your salt, they'll want your pepper also.

Old 04-20-2010, 02:08 PM

52,698 posts, read 34,542,421 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Frank DeForrest View Post
Just continue to avoid it.

See know wasn't that easy?
what, no government coercion required?

what a novel concept..

Old 04-20-2010, 02:09 PM

19,226 posts, read 15,318,165 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ergohead View Post
Any well trained FDA agent can tell whether you got salt in your shaker just by putting a small amount under his tongue.

Then, you're busted!
Many senior FDA officials can just lick your skin and tell whether you're over the limit.

Old 04-20-2010, 02:10 PM

4,897 posts, read 8,317,131 times
When KFC and other fast food companies are selling sandwiches with 3000mg of salt in them, that's twice the maximum daily dose recommended by the FDA, then there is a problem.

Old 04-20-2010, 02:11 PM

13,608 posts, read 21,391,107 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TigerLily24 View Post
I'm very glad they are doing this. Anything to lower health costs in this country.

We could probably lower crime also by getting rid of the 5th amendment, we could probably get rid of drug use by shooting them on sight. We could probably make your neighborhood ultra safe by posting a policeman outside everybodies house and giving them the authority to do whatever it takes to stop crime.

At what price though?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies